Rave revival?

wonk_vitesse

radio eros
there's certainly a whole new generation out there discovering the 303 and the 'Amen' break and making it there own. Of course they aren't inhibited by the cheese aspect of alot of rave which is kinda funny. Certainly in London there seem to be 2 post rave clubs i'd point to>

>bangface seems to be all encompassing, everything from extreme gabba to juicy acid house

meanwhile in the 'serious' post-squat sense there's >no fixed abode who are 'progressive' and 'heavy' , no less fun mind.

bangface puts people like John B sometimes and alot of the old skool crews, take yer pick. Oh yeah and of course there's psy-trance as if rave never went away. This stuff isn't rave it's mindless (not 'rave' mindless) unfunky shit and should avoided at all costs...... :(

oh yeah and as for free parties, well in London, the scene is tiny now in comparison to 10yrs ago. It's much more secretive and tight lipped. The big old multi-riggers just can't happen these days without the 'darkness' descending with robbery & knives.

Last edited:

D84

Yeah I think "rave" is coming back in some form or another.

I've noticed that the trendy fashionista crews are starting to drop the electroclash/ post-punk vibe a bit (well, a little) and adopting smiley faces etc on their posters in Sydney, like it's another flavour of costume party.

Also I went to a wedding a few months ago overlooking a trendy charity/marketing street rock festival thing and I thought (rather snobbily, perhaps) that if this is the best the hipster etc rock scene can do - eg. sub-Sonic Youth gestures, and more chin-stroking than a Sunno))) gig but without the sonics - then electronic music will be "coming back" sooner than later, as far as the media scenesters are concerned.

Norma Snockers

D84 said:
Yeah I think "rave" is coming back in some form or another.

I've noticed that the trendy fashionista crews are starting to drop the electroclash/ post-punk vibe a bit (well, a little) and adopting smiley faces etc on their posters in Sydney, like it's another flavour of costume party.

Also I went to a wedding a few months ago overlooking a trendy charity/marketing street rock festival thing and I thought (rather snobbily, perhaps) that if this is the best the hipster etc rock scene can do - eg. sub-Sonic Youth gestures, and more chin-stroking than a Sunno))) gig but without the sonics - then electronic music will be "coming back" sooner than later, as far as the media scenesters are concerned.

Haha! you snob!

tryptych

waiting for a time
simon silverdollar said:
to this day, i still suspect someone there of spiking me as i've never tripped out like that before or since, and it was nothing like the mild hallucinations you occasionally get on mdma.

Sounds like a typical MDA hallucination - I imagine that's what you had, if it was pills.

S

simon silverdollar

spackb0y said:
Sounds like a typical MDA hallucination - I imagine that's what you had, if it was pills.

yeah i think it probably was.

Gabba Flamenco Crossover

High Sierra Skullfuck
simon silverdollar said:
well...if you insist! (other people's drugs stories can be well boring, i know, so sorry if this one is...)

ok so it all started about 5 in the morning when me and a friend wandered into the wood surrounding the rave, to go for a piss.

Drugs + woods = Strong potential for paranoia :eek:

Stick to the open country!

mms

sometimes
Gabba Flamenco Crossover said:
Drugs + woods = Strong potential for paranoia :eek:

Stick to the open country!

Drugs and woods are good esp by a stream with possibly a rope bridge over the stream.

John Doe

gek-opel said:
Please let something new happen soon... :mad:
I propose a revolution: first against the wall all broadsheet music writers, their editors and those that pay any attention to the complacent, cosy and desperately wannabe sh*te they espouse ;)

swears

preppy-kei
John Doe said:
I propose a revolution: first against the wall all broadsheet music writers, their editors and those that pay any attention to the complacent, cosy and desperately wannabe sh*te they espouse ;)

lol
Seriously though....I think the first thing to go is indie. I'm not saying every indie record ever is shit, but I the next phase of British music is going to have to negate it in the same way the punks negated prog rock (even though some of them liked certain records/artists)
I think any change is going to come out of that. It just seems to completely dominate the musical landscape here. It's gone from being the alternative it was in the eighties/early nineties to being this huge fucking monolith all "serious" music discourse revolves around and any other genre is a sidedish or a distraction. It's just far too easy for the establishment to understand. I'd like something to come out that just had everybody scratching their heads.
btw...Don't ask me what I mean by "indie". We all know what I'm talking about.

DJL

i'm joking
swears said:
I'd like something to come out that just had everybody scratching their heads.

Kind of linked in with the moshing/stacking is the above video of Belgian school kids doing a dance called 'jumping' to techno/gabba in the school playground. Anyone know anything more about this?!

gek-opel

entered apprentice
@ paranoid Simon: hallucinations are very possible just on straight MDMA pills, if you take enough of them and you are situationally vulnerable... its more about the situation, and once that paranoia starts up... its going to end in tears...

The problem with indie now is that it has been purged for the most part of some of its more subversive elements... any sense of perversity or progression is missing... most "glam" or "prog" or "post punk" (in the genuine senses of those terms, not merely the aesthetic shells) has been exorcised... its less bad in the US, there are still certain "indie" acts with interesting potential... (Battles, Gang Gang Dance, TV on The Radio...) but these work mainly by engaging with modern technology and influences that aren't indie rock... I'd posit Hot Chip as an example of this kind of thing in the UK, but I know lots of people on this board seem to despise them (was that you Swears, I can't quite recall...?) but they at least are taking an outward looking approach to escaping the indie-aesthetic straight jacket of meat and potatoes rock...

The mainstreaming of certain pop-indie-rock tropes has occurred in this country partly as a result of the backlash around 2001-ish against the previously dominant Dance scene...

There are endless reasons why I suspect we cannot go back... I wrote some screed on this in an email to Mark K-punk a few months back... he put it up here... http://k-punk.abstractdynamics.org/archives/007342.html

swears

preppy-kei
It's pretty sad how dance music has had to water itself down over the last couple of years to accomodate rock fans. There's some event going on at the moment called "Ibiza Rocks" were various "rock" (read:loud indie) bands play at venues around the white isle.
It's a dead scene feeding off a more popular dead scene....creepy.

hamarplazt

100% No Soul Guaranteed
gek-opel said:
There are endless reasons why I suspect we cannot go back... I wrote some screed on this in an email to Mark K-punk a few months back... he put it up here... http://k-punk.abstractdynamics.org/archives/007342.html
I think you're spot on about the self-fulfilling prophecy at work here. It seems to me that the point where this really started to rot was when the established music media didn't manage to handle the inventions and innovative broadness of rave culture, and classified it all as part of the very PoMo culture that rock had degenerated to, rather than the antidote to it that it actually was. I'll maintain that in the nineties rave/techno/electronica came up with the greatest amount of musical innovation ever to have occured in such a short time, but the official story is still that the 90s was all about hybrids and revivals and recombining parts of the past in slightly novel ways (drum'n'bass isn't really something new you see, because it's all samples of old music! Using samples is actually by definition just PoMo eclecticism, right?), and therefore grunge and britpop is seen as movements signifying the decade, more interesting than 'ardcore or trance, and the "important" electronic records are the rock-critic-friendly crossover albums that confirm the hybrid myth, rather than the tons and tons of stuff contradicting it.

I'm not really sure if this happened because the rock critics simply couldn't hear the new thing going on in rave, or if they deliberately tried to silence it, because they just couldn't live with the fact that they were unable to like the stuff changeing everything, and preferred that there was no innovations at all, rather than innovation that exposed their inability. Maybe it was preferable for them to reduce everything to PoMo? 'Yeah, rock didn't come up with anything new in the nineties, but that's because nothing new really happened in the nineties at all!' This is why rave was never a punk-like revolution: The music media didn't change its outlook, and the old punk-orthodox critics more or less kept their monopoly.

Last edited:

swears

preppy-kei
hamarplazt said:
I'm not really sure if this happened because the rock critics simply couldn't hear the new thing going on in rave, or if they deliberately tried to silence it, because they just couldn't live with the fact that they were unable to like the stuff changeing everything, and preferred that there was no innovations at all, rather than innovation that exposed their inability. Maybe it was preferable for them to reduce everything to PoMo? 'Yeah, rock didn't come up with anything new in the nineties, but that's because nothing new really happened in the nineties at all!' This is why rave was never a punk-like revolution: The music media didn't change its outlook, and the old punk-orthodox critics more or less kept their monopoly.

Yeah. Imagine how terrifing it would be for all these "hip-priests" with their Velvets/Mary Chain/Strokes fetish to have to admit that everything they thought was cool was over.