New dj shadow album

Tweak Head

Always hated Dj Shadow. There's a smugness about his music that just winds me up. No passion. And a host of celebrity mates won't make it any better.

Ned

Ruby Tuesday
Tweak Head said:
Always hated Dj Shadow. There's a smugness about his music that just winds me up.

What, compared to the relentless self-abasement of mainstream hip hop?

mms

sometimes
Tweak Head said:
Always hated Dj Shadow. There's a smugness about his music that just winds me up. No passion. And a host of celebrity mates won't make it any better.

so forget about your implication that the music is smug, why do you hate dj shadow?
Also for someone who's renowned for making some of the most passionate or emotional hip hop ever, what's more passionate in hip hop?

gek-opel

entered apprentice
DJ Shadow I think is deeply unfashionable right now. But I agree with MMS that this is a judgement based around certain aspects or his fan-base (ie spliff toting supine students with beards) but this should not effect the fact that his earlier music was extremely original, emotive, intelligent and funky. A lot of the schtick that came afterwards was tiresome (bloody Ninja Tunes lot I am thinking of here, along with boring Mo'Wax copyists)... but really is this not always what happens when something was so fashionable? Is this not also going to happen to Neptunes/Timbaland in about 5 years or so?

polystyle

They come , some go

Gek,
it appears the Pharell 'lash is already underway (rightly) ,
judging from the single and the reviews.
Timba' seems to be doing fine , 5 yearson tho' who knows ? -
that's a few more bts & sonic to leave us with .

Shadow ... might listen if someone puts in front of me ,
otherwise snoozetime , too much other great stuff out

I remember Endtroducing coming out and there being all this hype about "he makes music out of other people's records" like he had just invented sampling or hip hop. I listenend to the CD and it is quite pleasant background music but not a lot more than that, especially when you have heard the original tracks sampled.

I can't imagine getting worked up about it but different strokes for eddie flashin folks and all that.

Anyway, haven't heard the new one.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Surely Pharell's stock is still riding quite high with the new Clipse single?

There's little I hate more than that whole Mo'Wax/Ninja Tunes axis (tho, to be fair, Coldcut's 7 MInutes of Madness and Tried by 12 are both sublime), but I prefer to think of Endtroducing as having transcended that. Its impact may have been dulled by years of copyists, and it doesn't inhabit the same universe as the true classics of that period (step forward, Tricky), but certain of those songs are still pretty good. If he'd nutted the twattish James Lavelle or something similar, he could have been my hero for five minutes.

And surely no-one can front on that 'Funky Skunk' mix? It's joyous and exhilarating, in much the same way as those old '80s Jeff Mills mixes. The kind of record where DJ-ing skills have genuinely made something better.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
polystyle desu said:
Point taken Re: Clipse , Baboon
T'was more the new solo ' bit that bites

Not heard the solo, to be fair. But the Clipse record is great (mind you, aren't they always?).

its funny timbaland and the neptunes got mentioned (i mean i knew they'd have to be eventually) cause, you know, if you listen to it you'd realize hyphy sounds like extra bannanas grindin beats anyway. you'll all see once stelfox or somebody writes about it in the wire (or maybe they did already? i read something on the hyphy stuff that reminded me of simon's e'd-up hip-hop article i read once)

as for dj shadow i don't trust anyone who can be so flip in dismissing him. he was one of my teenage heros or whatever and i like his music so all i have to do is seperate what you all imagine to be his fans from the music itself and its easy enough. there may have been weed smoking, but there wasn't any chin-stroking w/15 year old me. besides dude has heard more music in his life than i ever will in mine and he is actually a fan of hip hop from old school to miami bass to divine styler to hyphy. i'm sure if you asked him about 1981 he be more down w/ego trip's version. dj shadow/rawkus/native tounges etc dudes (btw i am an american and i stayed away from that easy listening techno shit) are realer in their own way than a lot of hipper assholes - at least we were alive when a lot of the music we were into was being made. much sadder to be an old man chasing even older music down a hole. another thign about the backpacker strawman is that they only listen to backpacker shit. that may be true for frat dudes (or studenty chaps), but someone who liked organized konfusion back in the day might have had organized noize 12''s and ATLiens before you ever read a think piece on outkast and they might even know about teddy riley and jam and lewis and all the other shit that came before neptunes and timbaland (pharrell said in scratch he was a backpacker anyway).

anyway i don't want to be an asshole just calling people on their bullshit. its all love. ;)

(EDIT: i lurk occasionally and only visited the hip-hop lies, sladers, etc thread after i wrote this post , but i see similar things have been said there recently)

Last edited:

stelfox

Beast of Burden
Blackdown said:
I've never heard so much crap about Shadow, ever. "finally making the music he wanted to" or whatever, my arse.

it all well and good to slag shadow off culturally for the audience he attracted - indie hip hop, leftfield studently etc - but his music, in terms of what he did with samples and the emotion and texture he could make with them was very special.

well, best to tell him that then, because that's exactly what he has to say about it.

gumdrops

shadow said the private press was him trying to press reset on what people thought he should do. hes pretty much saying the same thing again this time round. makes for good soundbites and gives journalists something to talk about - 'oh he didnt like what he did before... this is the REAL shadow' etc.

stelfox

Beast of Burden
gumdrops said:
shadow said the private press was him trying to press reset on what people thought he should do. hes pretty much saying the same thing again this time round. makes for good soundbites and gives journalists something to talk about - 'oh he didnt like what he did before... this is the REAL shadow' etc.

ok i'm wrong again, gullible fuckwit that i am, always taken in by these scheming musicians...

jesus, it's what he said, the record is VERY different to what he's ever done before,it is what he want's to do, it is a complete departure from what he's done before and it is pretty brave as far as i'm concerned.

it's not a life-changing record on its own but if it gets a few more people listening to hyphy, christina carter or whoever, then that's a bloody good thing.

and i do kind of resent being told that i'\m talking out of my arse when i have actually spoken TO SHADOW about it at reasonable length, not got it 2nd or 3rd hand from a magazine

Last edited:

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Qn Stelfox: don't suppose he said why he was unhappy with the music he was making before, or why he wasn't able to make the music he wanted back then?

stelfox

Beast of Burden
gek-opel said:
Qn Stelfox: don't suppose he said why he was unhappy with the music he was making before, or why he wasn't able to make the music he wanted back then?

yeah he did, but i'm not going to spill all that here, otherwise it will spoil the piece when it comes out. let's just say that he was bored with it and not finding that it was going anywhere. also if you look at the guy's charts or anything that have featured in magazines etc over the years this is probably the closest representation of what he's been listening to since the private press. that's why i believe him when he says that this is an album he really wanted to make. people can judge the result as they see fit, but to say i'm talking nonsense is a long way off base.

gumdrops

stelfox said:
ok i'm wrong again, gullible fuckwit that i am, always taken in by these scheming musicians...

jesus, it's what he said, the record is VERY different to what he's ever done before,it is what he want's to do, it is a complete departure from what he's done before and it is pretty brave as far as i'm concerned.

it's not a life-changing record on its own but if it gets a few more people listening to hyphy, christina carter or whoever, then that's a bloody good thing.

and i do kind of resent being told that i'\m talking out of my arse when i have actually spoken TO SHADOW about it at reasonable length, not got it 2nd or 3rd hand from a magazine

er, what? never said you were talking out your arse so dont get your fucking knickers in a twist. was just making the point based on old pieces ive read about him and the interview in the new HHC that shadow has said this sort of thing before, although admittedly, yes, this time, he is actually more OTM than saying the 'reset' comment about private press, as this is a huge departure from anything hes ever done before (just see all the angry comments from his fans on message boards). but hey, its great to know that you have such a up close and personal relationship with The Stars. if only the rest of us were so lucky... *mournful/dreamy sigh*

stelfox

Beast of Burden
gumdrops said:
er, what? never said you were talking out your arse so dont get your fucking knickers in a twist. was just making the point that shadow has said this sort of thing before, although admittedly, yes, this time, he is actually more OTM than saying the 'reset' comment about private press, as this is a huge departure from anything hes ever done before (just see all the angry comments from his fans on message boards). but hey, its great to know that you have such a up close and personal relationship with The Stars. if only the rest of us were so lucky... *mournful/dreamy sigh*

you are a sarcastic, smartarse prick, mate. it's my job. these aren't personal relationships. they're work. and i refer you to the above post where what i've said was referred to as crap.

Last edited:

gumdrops

stelfox said:
you are a sarcastic, smartarse prick, mate. it's my job. these aren't personal relationships. they're work. and i refer you to the above post where what i've said was referred to as crap.

im quite aware its work, but still, youre a humourless, self-important bastard, 'mate'. youre not above being a sarcastic smart arse either holy one, what with your replies to poisonus dart all ending in 'two'.