Lady Sov's Stateside success

She must be making some sort of impact at the artistic level as I'm hearing quite a bit of her influence on Fergie's - london bridge and Nelly Furtado's - maneater. Then again maybe it's more of an M.I.A thing.

boosted

They've said all the same things about Sov that they said about M.I.A. before her, and Ms. Dynamite before her ... and short of getting a Honda advertisement, I can't see much happening in the states with chart/commercial success. Unless she decides to start dressing like Gwen Stefani or Fergie and switches her style to reggaeton or crunk rip-offs, there just won't be any Lady Sovereign on the radio here.

That being said, whenver I drop "Random" in a mix down here in Miami, there is somewhat of a response from the crowd. Underground hipster success is a possiblity, and there is something to be said about being an underground success in America where you can tour around the states and make a living off of 1500 seat venues all year. I don't think that's the kind of "success" that Def-Jam will put up with for too long though.

Grime artists trying to break in to the scene in America have to approach their craft as underground, independent, college radio artists. Success lies in the urban university scene. If they expect to ever reach the audience of typical American hip-hoppers they're doomed for failure. Your average American will get nothing out of Grime except that it "sounds like techno".

I don't mean this to sound negative ... I think the fact that Grime is different from US Hip-Hop is what makes it appeal to many of us. We actually want something different than the usual inane stuff on our radios.