The best club in the world?

Canada J Soup

Monkey Man
Fuse in Brussels used to be a personal favorite. Haven't been back there since moving to the US, but fully intend to return sometime. There was a period in the late 90s when the rotating residency was held by Carl Craig, Dave Clark and DJ Hell. Up for it crowd, amazing PA, nice friendly vibe and open all night long. Techno nirvana it was.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Fuse in Brussels used to be a personal favorite. Haven't been back there since moving to the US, but fully intend to return sometime. There was a period in the late 90s when the rotating residency was held by Carl Craig, Dave Clark and DJ Hell. Up for it crowd, amazing PA, nice friendly vibe and open all night long. Techno nirvana it was.

Went there on NYE once - great place. And 10 fuckign euros - on NYE....unbelievable value.

Also (while we're on the subject of Euro clubs), loved Meierei in Vienna when it existed, and went to an amzing gay club in Madrid of which I cannot recall the name.

"This subject keeps cropping up. I posed the question "Where's the acid party?" a while back. "Secret Sundaze" was the reply. Now one of our number has sensationally (and controversially) revealed that it's a Barley-fest."

Ah. Good point. For RnB/dancehall in London, I doubt it gets better than Bootylicious...I guess (from a fairly poor bunch, it must be said) the End wins out for me as best house/tech club.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I used to love Wang at the Premises in Hackney. Three little sweaty rooms with low ceilings, amazing crowd who loved it and came every month and great music. The last night they put on there was so much fun. Since they lost that regular venue they've done various places and various nights but haven't been able to consistently turn out the same quality.
In London that's the kind of venue I like though, places like Bardens Boudoir, Passing Clouds, Octopad, Hugo's Speaker Palace, Ye Olde Axe etc etc. That's just in Hackney, there must be hundeds of places across the whole city. These kind of venues may not have the soundsystems of "proper" clubs but I like the way that it feels more like a party and more like a one-off in a place like that.
Or maybe it's just because most of them are venues I've hired.

wonk_vitesse

radio eros
For one night only - Disused Cinema

Tend to get bored of clubs however good the lineup or place is. These 2 nights I'll never forget>

Camden parkway 96?

Synthetic Circus - Halloween 2004 , Clapham, disused cinema

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I used to love Wang at the Premises in Hackney. Three little sweaty rooms with low ceilings, amazing crowd who loved it and came every month and great music. The last night they put on there was so much fun. Since they lost that regular venue they've done various places and various nights but haven't been able to consistently turn out the same quality.
In London that's the kind of venue I like though, places like Bardens Boudoir, Passing Clouds, Octopad, Hugo's Speaker Palace, Ye Olde Axe etc etc. That's just in Hackney, there must be hundeds of places across the whole city. These kind of venues may not have the soundsystems of "proper" clubs but I like the way that it feels more like a party and more like a one-off in a place like that.
Or maybe it's just because most of them are venues I've hired.

Went to Wang events under the arches in Brixton - great events, agreed, tho would have loved a siilar event with a more housey/minimal feel. That said, the electro they played was great.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Great list of Hackney venues btw - what kind of mailing lists do you have to get onto to know what's going on at these kind of places on a weekly basis? :slanted:

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Went to Wang events under the arches in Brixton"
They always put on good parties but for me it was best at the Premises.

"Great list of Hackney venues btw - what kind of mailing lists do you have to get onto to know what's going on at these kind of places on a weekly basis?"
Er, let me see.
The Clouds Passing thing is a newish venue, it's got a myspace site I think that should tell you what's on. Actually it doesn't seem to have that much info but you can contact them through it. I think it's a pretty cool place with a nice upstairs room with sofas, I think they show films there on a Sunday
http://www.myspace.com/passingclouds

Ye Olde Axe is a strip club on Hackney Road that doesn't do regular nights but we (and other people before us) hired it. It's got a licence until six and is like some kind of Victorian gin palace inside. I think it's a fantastic venue but the only problem when we used it was that although they were supposed to finish at eleven and let us open at half-past they decided at the last minute to keep the stripping going until after midnight. We had to warn everyone who turned up early that they would get Bon Jovi whilst East Europeans took their clothes off for the first hour or so. No-one didn't come in though....

Bardens Boudoir is under a furniture warehouse on Kingsland Road. It has a website here
http://www.bardensbar.co.uk/events.htm
It has re-opened legally (after being shut down last year) but unfortunately only stays open until about three now.

Octopad. This is a place behind the Stoke Newington train station, a few people live (and record I think) there and put on parties when it suits them. I actually don't know how to find out when they have things here, when I've gone before it was normally just word of mouth. The electro night Scand did a couple of things here.

Hugo's Speaker Palace is on Andre St near Hackney Downs station. There is a mailing list which my girlfriend is on but I'm not sure how you get on it except by going down and signing up to it. Best thing to do is google the name and see if there is anything on at the weekend, then go along and sign up and you will be notified of future events. He used to do something every weekend but the council made a fuss and stopped him so he is a little less regular these days.

Sorry I can't be more help with those things. I hope that these are the sort of things that interest you, I guess they are very different from the place in Berlin but they are worth trying in my opinion. Just don't expect state of the art sound and clean toilets.
Just remembered, another place you might be interested in is the 491 Gallery in Leytonstone. Only been there once but it certainly has potential especially in summer because it's got a big garden.
Last week I went to watch a gig in the cellar of an abandoned pub called the Milton Arms in Bethnal Green. There wasn't much going on at that time but I really want to find out about future events there because it was a nice venue as well.

Numbers

Went there on NYE once - great place. And 10 fuckign euros - on NYE....unbelievable value.

Hm, for some reason I never managed to get to this place. Although I live like three streets away from it. Sound like I better should.

went to an amzing gay club in Madrid of which I cannot recall the name.

Madrid is just the best town for partying. Some really amazing clubs -not only gay clubs.
When in Madrid check out Nature, Mondo, Coppelia101 or even Ya'sta. They're all good.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
They always put on good parties but for me it was best at the Premises.

Er, let me see.
The Clouds Passing thing is a newish venue, it's got a myspace site I think that should tell you what's on. Actually it doesn't seem to have that much info but you can contact them through it. I think it's a pretty cool place with a nice upstairs room with sofas, I think they show films there on a Sunday
http://www.myspace.com/passingclouds

Ye Olde Axe is a strip club on Hackney Road that doesn't do regular nights but we (and other people before us) hired it. It's got a licence until six and is like some kind of Victorian gin palace inside. I think it's a fantastic venue but the only problem when we used it was that although they were supposed to finish at eleven and let us open at half-past they decided at the last minute to keep the stripping going until after midnight. We had to warn everyone who turned up early that they would get Bon Jovi whilst East Europeans took their clothes off for the first hour or so. No-one didn't come in though....

Bardens Boudoir is under a furniture warehouse on Kingsland Road. It has a website here
http://www.bardensbar.co.uk/events.htm
It has re-opened legally (after being shut down last year) but unfortunately only stays open until about three now.

Octopad. This is a place behind the Stoke Newington train station, a few people live (and record I think) there and put on parties when it suits them. I actually don't know how to find out when they have things here, when I've gone before it was normally just word of mouth. The electro night Scand did a couple of things here.

Hugo's Speaker Palace is on Andre St near Hackney Downs station. There is a mailing list which my girlfriend is on but I'm not sure how you get on it except by going down and signing up to it. Best thing to do is google the name and see if there is anything on at the weekend, then go along and sign up and you will be notified of future events. He used to do something every weekend but the council made a fuss and stopped him so he is a little less regular these days.

Sorry I can't be more help with those things. I hope that these are the sort of things that interest you, I guess they are very different from the place in Berlin but they are worth trying in my opinion. Just don't expect state of the art sound and clean toilets.
Just remembered, another place you might be interested in is the 491 Gallery in Leytonstone. Only been there once but it certainly has potential especially in summer because it's got a big garden.
Last week I went to watch a gig in the cellar of an abandoned pub called the Milton Arms in Bethnal Green. There wasn't much going on at that time but I really want to find out about future events there because it was a nice venue as well.

Never said thanks for this - great list. So...thank you. :)

KernKätzchen

Quite. What if you flew to Berlin with the express reason of going to said 'club and then didn't get let in.

Keeping out groups of pissheads is an entirely different thing to random refusals.

Door policies are contrary to the spirit of good parties. I remember reading Sarah Campion describing a scene from a rave (shit paraphrasing follows):

I sat under a tree with an Indian Aristocrat who was making tea in an imaginary kitchen for me and a computer technician from Romford dressed in a pastel baby-grow.

This Berlin Uber-Club can have all the knobs and whistles but as long as it retains this door policy and feels the need to manufacture some kind of exculsivity rather than trusting that the random bunch of punters still mooching about the dance floor at 8am are the RIGHT KIND OF PEOPLE, it's not in the running as far I'm concerned.

Well, as dogger said, it's not about whether you are the 'right' kind of person: it is, as far as I can make out anyway, completely random. And if you didn't get in, then you'd just go to one of the other two world-class clubs down the road: Watergate (complete with scenic floating river-deck-cum-chillout-room) and Maria am Ostbahnhof. Simple.

swears

preppy-kei
Good clubs that have gone shit?

I used to go to a club night hosted by the fellas from Ladytron, Evol. It was awesome, they had sets by Ivan Smagge, Mark Moore, Athur Baker, 2many DJs, Miss Kittin, loads of of good stuff. Then about 18 months ago, to boost attendence it became a generic indie night. I think the god-awful Kooks played last year, just before they got big. Just completely went down the pan.

fandango

Tiny Robot
KernKätzchen;62402 said:
Well, as dogger said, it's not about whether you are the 'right' kind of person: it is, as far as I can make out anyway, completely random. And if you didn't get in, then you'd just go to one of the other two world-class clubs down the road: Watergate (complete with scenic floating river-deck-cum-chillout-room) and Maria am Ostbahnhof. Simple.

You're not even particularly far on foot from Raumklang, or Cafe Du Visionaire (if it's open thru the winter, I suspect not) and Club 103 is next door to Watergate(!), I never got the chance to check it out personally, mixed reviews but good guests, not hard in Berlin admittedly but still... splash out on a bike or taxi and your options are even wider :cool:

I got into Berghain fine, has nobody been denied entry to UK clubs for no good reason here? "No Stripey T-Shirts" was one time I remember well :p It happens.