Black Metal

Woebot

found a copy online of venom's original "black metal" lp. that was the original one wunnit?

(all the time cribbing from edwin pounceys (slightly boring apart from the intro) underground metal primer in The Wire)

stelfox

Beast of Burden
puretokyo said:
what about Ildjarn? That dude is fucked. Plus definitely Draugar and Crebain...

Anyone interested should really check Draugar.

can someone please retitle this the "dungeons and dragons" thread, please?

puretokyo

Mercury Blues
stelfox said:
can someone please retitle this the "dungeons and dragons" thread, please?

maybe 'the tolkein theft thread'? these guys really should read some different books, i agree.

francesco

Minerva Estassi
WOEBOT said:
found a copy online of venom's original "black metal" lp. that was the original one wunnit?

Well, is the record who give the genre is name, but it's not the first "black metal" album, that's an honor that goes probably to Black Sabbath. Also is not even Venom first lp but the second, the first, "Welcome to Hell" is more punkish and maybe better but "Black Metal" is the one to listen for historical importance (in the genre). Mind: Venom were no more satanist than Iron Maiden or Sabbath, musically were more akin to Motorhead and like them their principal interest was drinking and girls, only norvegians would ten years after find their lyrics meaningful and seriuos....
... the other two the Unholy Trinity of early Black Metal were Hellhammer/Celtic Frost and Merciful Fate. King Diamond of MF was LaVey satanism's influenced. Album like "To Mega Therion" by Celtic Frost or "Melissa" by Mercyful Fate were as important (maybe more) than Venom to define the Black Metal of the '90.

WOEBOT said:
(all the time cribbing from edwin pounceys (slightly boring apart from the intro) underground metal primer in The Wire)

Give a cursory look minutes ago: it's not about neither Black or Death Metal, it's all about recent evolutions in the very slow doom metal of the Souther Lord label. I have to check some of the records discussed. I have Earth 2 and is incredible, drone metal. Not something Bevis and Butthead would love.

Tolkien: I have read "Lord of the Ring" and i have the right to say that is one of the worst books ever, if not the worst. (The Hobbit is not so bad in comparison). Fuck Tolkien.

ciao da francesco

Last edited:

Melchior

Taking History Too Far
Um, well I like Tolkein, but isn't anyone else put off black metal by the number of white supremecists in the scene?

puretokyo

Mercury Blues
francesco said:
it's all about recent evolutions in the very slow doom metal of the Souther Lord label. I have to check some of the records discussed. I have Earth 2 and is incredible, drone metal. Not something Bevis and Butthead would love.

Yeah, I reckon Sunn 0)))'s White 2 is one of the (if not the) biggest leaps metal has made in the last 10 years. I mean, Attila Csishar providing what practically amounts to Tuvan throat-singing on an album whose credits namecheck Russell Haswell and Autechre? Fucken sick, mate.

carlos

manos de piedra
Yeah, I reckon Sunn 0)))'s White 2 is one of the (if not the) biggest leaps metal has made in the last 10 years. I mean, Attila Csishar providing what practically amounts to Tuvan throat-singing on an album whose credits namecheck Russell Haswell and Autechre? Fucken sick, mate.

i guess i could agree with that... though i stopped paying attention to metal in the mid 90s- but there was Earth before Sunn 0))) and they got pretty slow and weird and had the Blast First connection- though they weren't trying to be as Metal as O'Malley is trying to be- i definitely prefer this slooow thing over any other avant metal experiments i've heard. like ipecac type things.

i have not seen Sunn 0))) live (yet) but i have seen Khanate (O'Malley's band with Jim Plotkin) and they were amazing- the roof was crumbling from the sound produced by the sunn amps and plotkin's bass- true metal indeed

jd_

I actually think Earth was more of a metal band than Sunn0))) is. The Extra Capsular Extraction ep has songs on it that are way more straight forward than anything Sunn's done, and it's not metal, the stuff on Pentastar is as well. Earth's riffs are more like metal riffs too even when they are just in full drone mode.

From interviews I've read Carlson seemed pretty uninterested in embracing the high concept art stuff. I remember him talking about people coming up to him at shows wanting to talk about all these obscure art musicians and he was just dismissing it saying he knows about some of it but all he really likes is metal and classic rock, then talked about Slayer for a bit. Not saying the guys in SUnn0))) aren't metal heads because they obviously are, but just I think they keep the more metal stuff out of it (compare their albums to the Teeth Of The Lions stuff).