Really Fantastic Article

johnbookpic3.gif

Your name wasn't down
You never got in.

swears

preppy-kei
Ha! He did that documentary aboutr Britpop didn't he!

"Yeah, stuff all this faceless techno bollocks, meat and potatoes rock 'n' roll is what the kids really want!"

28 Gun Nice Boy

Altern 8 were great. If Oasis had ever done anything even half as entertaining as dropping Christmas puds on Stafford from a hot air balloon, they'd be immeasurably greater as both a band and a cultural phenomenon.

Altern-8 get lumped together with the other chart rave artists but Infiltr-8 202 was an underground classic. Wasn't there a 2 Step version of it?

88-90: LFO, KLF, 808 State, Baby Ford, Nexus 21, Rhythmatic, Nightmares On Wax, Scientist, errrrr Guru Josh

...Bang the Party/Hippy, Homeboy and a Funki Dread/D Mob/Cry Sisco/Bam Bam (American but recording in England)/Jack n Chill (!) etc etc

And an article which gives new meaning to the word pointless..precisely the reason why i wouldnt touch anything pertaining to "popular culture" in the mainstream media with a bargepole

And it is precisely the fact that XXXX's like John Harris (who formed that geeky student hardcore of indie fans back in the day) ended up in influential places in the media that has meant guitar music was never marginalised for good...

Guybrush

Dittohead
I must confess I find it invigorating with a critic taking sides so blatantly, even one representing such a laughably worn-out and conformist genre as "nu-rock" (does an an all-comprising term exist?). The funny thing with this thread (and its ilks: "the wanky gutarists have taken over, we're all doomed" etc.) is that the curmudgeon and defeatist undertones somehow reinforce the (false) image of a weary and bitter dance community combating the vigorous and facetious "new" kid on the block.

As some people have already commented on: the old rave-chartbusters are far from lost in time, if anything they seem to have gotten more exposure over the last year or so. Also, "only very strange people", surely, = the hipster crowd => it will be the the bee's knees in no time.

mms

sometimes
I must confess I find it invigorating with a critic taking sides so blatantly, even one representing such a laughably worn-out and conformist genre as "nu-rock" (does an an all-comprising term exist?). The funny thing with this thread (and its ilks: "the wanky gutarists have taken over, we're all doomed" etc.) is that the curmudgeon and defeatist undertones somehow reinforce the (false) image of a weary and bitter dance community combating the vigorous and facetious "new" kid on the block.

As some people have already commented on: the old rave-chartbusters are far from lost in time, if anything they seem to have gotten more exposure over the last year or so. Also, "only very strange people", surely, = the hipster crowd => it will be the the bee's knees in no time.

yep.

wonk_vitesse

radio eros
John Harris is in endless repeat mode about the dark days of the early 90s and then came Britpop to save us all and oh wasn't it such a great story, drugs, Liam, politicians, clash of the bands.......

He wrote a f'kin book about it!

Same old bollox, yeah have a go at new rave, why not? it's very 'new' and quite laffable but the Klaxons sold out Koko last night, honestly i don't care.

throughsilver

I must confess I find it invigorating with a critic taking sides so blatantly, even one representing such a laughably worn-out and conformist genre as "nu-rock" (does an an all-comprising term exist?).
I was leafing through The Guide today, and saw The Automatic described as 'nu-rock'. What's new about them?

Or is 'nu' actually code for 'crap', like nu-metal pretty much being a crap version of normal metal.