Guns N Roses 2

Jezmi

Olli Oliver Steichelsmein
Yeah great piece of music, good flow to the tracklisting (starting with Xtra and ending with London....)
Didn´t feel overwhelmed at first listen, but then I´m not that used to listen to albums anymore (child of Me, Myspace and iPod era). It has great staying power and is a lot better than the first edition (which was great, but natural progression and the lack of hiphop helps).
Production is unquestioned......
Spitting is decent and ´good enough´. They have a slight different approach to spitting on tracks, making songs instead of 16bars (as someone said before). I like the differences between their style of mcing, though sometimes I think that they could add quality by subtracting the amount of mcing (only slightly, like in ´u make me wanna´).
I would´ve loved to see them featuring Wiley, Trim, Ghetto or someone like that instead of bringing people through.
All in all too many good tracks too name a few, overall a 9/10 (already looking forward to the next Ruff Sqwad release).

SDC where´s your reply and could you please post a review on silverdollarcircle, for oldtimessake......and oneyearsanniversarysincestopping....please....??????

S

simon silverdollar

Yeah great piece of music, good flow to the tracklisting (starting with Xtra and ending with London....)
Didn´t feel overwhelmed at first listen, but then I´m not that used to listen to albums anymore (child of Me, Myspace and iPod era). It has great staying power and is a lot better than the first edition (which was great, but natural progression and the lack of hiphop helps).
Production is unquestioned......
Spitting is decent and ´good enough´. They have a slight different approach to spitting on tracks, making songs instead of 16bars (as someone said before). I like the differences between their style of mcing, though sometimes I think that they could add quality by subtracting the amount of mcing (only slightly, like in ´u make me wanna´).
I would´ve loved to see them featuring Wiley, Trim, Ghetto or someone like that instead of bringing people through.
All in all too many good tracks too name a few, overall a 9/10 (already looking forward to the next Ruff Sqwad release).

SDC where´s your reply and could you please post a review on silverdollarcircle, for oldtimessake......and oneyearsanniversarysincestopping....please....??????

i'm going to do a big post on this on my blog in the next few days. i think it's quite a remarkable set of tracks.

i actually like the fact that they don't have many guest MCs like wiley, trim etc. it's a showcase for what they themselves can do, and i think that's why it's so important.

Jezmi

Olli Oliver Steichelsmein
i'm going to do a big post on this on my blog in the next few days. i think it's quite a remarkable set of tracks.

i actually like the fact that they don't have many guest MCs like wiley, trim etc. it's a showcase for what they themselves can do, and i think that's why it's so important.

I see your point, I guess I´d rather have them do everything themselves than bringing unknown (to me) mc´s through. Eventhough they are one of the best crews in the scene, I don´t think they can afford to put them on their record. Maybe on the individual mixcds...

Looking forward to reading your review.

gumdrops

i like it that they dont have wiley and all the big name grime MCs on this. thats kinda boring now, 'all star' posse cuts. i prefer that ruff sqwad are keeping it all in house. makes you appreciate them more.

theo

pollymarchs 4 eva
I am currently trying to dl it too. Its not easy. I would much rather like to buy it online. Anyone know if there is an mp3 release of this out?

I would rather pay for it, but I ain't in the UK and doing oversees orders is dodgy.

bruno

est malade
I am currently trying to dl it too. Its not easy. I would much rather like to buy it online. Anyone know if there is an mp3 release of this out?

I would rather pay for it, but I ain't in the UK and doing oversees orders is dodgy.
zzzzzzzz.

i'm as far from the uk as you can get, have ordered several times through online shops and have never had any trouble. either download the thing or place an order or both but spare us the whining. :slanted:

stelfox

Beast of Burden
Fuck paying 7 quid to listen to tinchey going on about how much money he's got.

good attitude. these guys are obviously rolling in loot, because grime is such a massive money-making scene. everyone involved is hood rich anyway, and really doesn't need anyone's support. *rolls eyes skyward*

zzzzzzzz.

i'm as far from the uk as you can get, have ordered several times through online shops and have never had any trouble. either download the thing or place an order or both but spare us the whining. :slanted:

agreed. overseas orders are easy to do. i do em all the time from the US/Brazil/South Aftrica/wherever. it's not a problem. Things very rarely, if ever, go missing and if they do it'll be your local post service at fault, not the international transit.

anyway, i'm loving this record, especially u don't know and died in ur arms. knew 'em both already, but it's good to have them on an album. really don't like f'in rhythm at all. it's a stupid tune, but the rest of it is pretty great. these guys are streets ahead of everyone else at the moment. i downloaded it because i was in canada at the time, but will be hitting rhythm division at lunchtime today to buy it

Last edited:

Sef

Wild Horses
I might give him some dollar if he bangs on about how skint he is next time round. That reminds me, I need to download his best of and all.

If you listen to something like Shot City (which is massive) you realise how poor the mcing really is on GnR.

petergunn

plywood violin
... except for the part where it costs you two times as much on ridiculous shipping charges.

Chemical Records charges almost less that the official Royal Mail rate...

Independance has brought their shipping rates down as well...

oh and Guns N Roses vol 2 is the best CD i've heard in ages... what's struck me as how much they've all improved in the last few years... i used to just think of them as Tinchy and some dudes, but on a lot of tracks everyone else outshines tinchy! and rapid's production just gets better and better, too... it basically sounds like what a "uk hip hop" record should like, incorperating US hip hop influences very organically...

mos dan

fact music
i love how sef seems basically to be saying 'they should be paying me to listen to this shit'. if you're gonna be a wasteman at least have the decency to stay quiet about it rather than broadcasting it to the world.

i agree tinchy is often outshone these days - he's still got a lot of charisma but the others have upped the levels definitely.

not least fuda guy, who there's an interview with here for those that are interested - let me know what yr sayin!

http://dot-alt.blogspot.com/2006/10/ruff-sqwad_26.html

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
One intruiging thing about Guns and Roses 2 is there are quite a few anti-materialistic lyrics on there- "if having money causes hate and pain and broke ain't no fun- I'd rather have none", and "you're too material- care about the brand-name cereals- I can't really care about your hair and nails and all".

And they fit, they don't sound preachy or anything.

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
Tinchy Strider is basically the Tenor Saw of grime. He often sounds like he can hardly be arsed; sometimes though, that kind of casual flow is precisely why it rocks so much.

Tenor Saw was pretty much the most out of tune singjay ever, but Fever is an all time classic.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Tinchy Strider is basically the Tenor Saw of grime. He often sounds like he can hardly be arsed; sometimes though, that kind of casual flow is precisely why it rocks so much.

Tenor Saw was pretty much the most out of tune singjay ever, but Fever is an all time classic.

He's also one of the coolest looking motherfuckers on earth.

viktorvaughn

This album is great. I think it is probably as good as the first one, but maybe more of a grower. I think Ruff Sqwad have a real relistenable quality when at their best.

Imagine 'Died in yr Arms' backed by 'Soundman' - now that would be some real UK popular music i would be proud to see at the top of our charts. And 'Breath' near the end of the CD is great too. Plenty of top tunes on there.

One quibble would be that there are too many chipmunk-vocalled tunes.

mos dan

fact music
'Breathe' - based on real events, apparently. why the fuck didn't the Met convince them to release that as the Stop The Guns song instead of the distinctly mediocre Badman? Breathe may be pretty ott in emotional content but isn't that what you want to drive the message home? Rather than a song that sounds like it's been made to show in the classroom in pshe/citizenship/whatever they're calling it these days?

Too many chipmunked tunes? Heresy! ;)