Music software = bad

borderpolice

At the end of the day the best bass plugin I've heard (trilogy) doesn't sound as deep and full as a moog or SE1 so I'd rather have the hardware to take care of basses. hardware integrates really easily with DAWs so it's not like you can't have both.

oh i agree. the real reason i got rid of all my hardware (save for laptop, microphone, speakers and USB-keyboard), despite loving analog gear's sounds, is that i don't want tons of gear in my living room. saves a lot of space, and makes for a nicer interior. and i can easily meetup with somebody for a recording session anywhere. my entiere musical apparatus fits easily into my backpack. i just worked in japan for a month and made a lot of tumes in hotel rooms. that's just great. for me that's a real bonus. life's much easier that way.

not to mention that i no longer have to worry about <b>cables</b>!

Last edited:

Martin Dust

Techno Zen Master
We use a bit of both, keeping the limit/number down because we find too much stuff tends to mean we get nothing done. Eno is just a boring old fart and should look at his own back catalogue before having a pop at kids having a go at expressing themselves.

michael

Bring out the vacuum
This thread went all weird, most responses are just pissing on Eno. Wonder what the thread would've been like if swears had just written "I read that..." and put forward the argument without mentioning who'd said it.

Guybrush

Dittohead
This thread went all weird, most responses are just pissing on Eno. Wonder what the thread would've been like if swears had just written "I read that..." and put forward the argument without mentioning who'd said it.
Yeah, I agree. There seems to be an assumption that just because somebody was successful in the past and has aged the person must be a reactionary old fart, to me that's just lazy rhetoric (smacking of rockism: the young are "in the know" [since when?] and the oldsters are trapped in nostalgialand [what's the average age of the Kompakt posse again?]) -- anybody who use age as a bat in discussions is threading on thin ice anyway (0-18 = unspoiled but to young to know better, 30+ = bitter and longing for days gone by -- yawn). I don't think Eno gives a toss about the advent of modern technology making his compositions seem more effortless than they actually were.

swears

preppy-kei
Brian Eno is totally and uttterly full of shit here... it seems that he is just getting pissy becuase once upon a time people would hear his music and think "wow, that sounds totally futuristic and otherworldly", and he could sit there all smug about how he is so intelectually superior to everyone else on the planet. Though really it was just the exclusivity he garnered from using equipment with high barriers of entry (both intelectual and monetary) that made him sound special.

That's not really fair. I think the way he used the technology was revolutionary, because he wasn't just playing standard ELP-style pseudo classical prog wank, just using the synth as a souped up church organ. He was really getting into timbres of sounds and minimalism and chance and all these ideas that hadn't really been explored in popular music before.
I love his seventies stuff, from Roxy to Bowie to Airports to Byrne. Fantastic.

Guybrush

Dittohead
He is talking shit tho and should be pulled up, nothing to do with success - however you measure it...

Maybe he is in other interviews, but I'm only judging him by this...

His basic argument was: anyone with a modicum of taste can knock up a decent sounding loop in Reason/Fruity Loops or whatever, and then build up a lacklustre track around it. He compared it to how something like perfume is marketed now: you find the demographic, consider the pricing, draw up an image, then the LAST thing you actually decide is what it smells like. You're building a track up around a weak idea, a mere shell of a song. Whereas, if you where stuck in front of a say...a piano, you would have to work out the fundamentals of a tune before you even got to the rest of it. The work would have to be strong enough on it's own merits before you got into all the production, effects, various sonic tarting-up procedures.

...which sounds like fairly sound advice to me. I think Eno is aware that many a great song (track?) has been made with the first method, he just wants to salute the merits of the song.

swears

preppy-kei
He is talking shit tho and should be pulled up, nothing to do with success - however you measure it...

What I'm taking from his comments is that people find it far too easy to slip into a readymade genre or sound. You can get all the presets and packs and effects to conform to whatever style you're associating yourself with. And this goes back to the whole "next big thing" issue, nobody's going to do anything new if there's no demand for it, all the niches and genres have been filled, everybody's happy with their little buffet of styles, everyone can skim it's ecelectic surface and pick out the odd break here, the odd loop here...it is shallow.
We're lacking now in ideas and concepts. There aren't enough dreamers and thinkers in popular music, just people functionally referencing things. And I think his artistic success does give him a certain authority, not everything he says should be taken as gospel, but if I'm going to consider a musician's opinion, at least as food for thought, it's going to be him.

Martin Dust

Techno Zen Master
He compared it to how something like perfume is marketed now: you find the demographic, consider the pricing, draw up an image, then the LAST thing you actually decide is what it smells like. You're building a track up around a weak idea, a mere shell of a song. Whereas, if you where stuck in front of a say...a piano, you would have to work out the fundamentals of a tune before you even got to the rest of it. The work would have to be strong enough on it's own merits before you got into all the production, effects, various sonic tarting-up procedures.

I don't now anyone who uses the approach mentioned above, even in advertising.

Like I said he just sounds like an old fart banging on about something he knows every little about - he's got no idea how people are using these new tools. If he had his way you wouldn't have people like Dizze Rascal. And it's even more strange for him to say the above when he actually made a load of tools to make "instant" ambient tracks.

He's full of shit.

swears

preppy-kei
Nobody's arguing to pass a law in parliment to outlaw fruityloops, just saying that maybe people should consider why they're making music and what good it is, before turning on their gear.

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
What I'm taking from his comments is that people find it far too easy to slip into a readymade genre or sound. You can get all the presets and packs and effects to conform to whatever style you're associating yourself with.

Doesn't that kind of thing just equate to something like people buying Beatles or Bob Dylan songbooks in the 60s and strumming along? Its not really creative exactly, but an enjoyable way for someone to be slightly more involved in music.

Anyway the only market for 'music' of this kind is like on-demand stuff for low budget TV and what have you.

Maybe the problem is not with software forcing or encouraging everyone to make the same music, but more to do with people and their personalities becoming more homogenous. :eek:

Logos

Ghosts of my life
I think we need to be careful - the 'dizzee' scenario, where you only have a copy of fruity loops is analogous in many ways to the back to basics punk rock thing, the limitations force you to be very creative.

The real problem with plugs is medium size hobbyist studios with thirty high end synth plugs, endless possibilities, and not a good idea in sight.

Anyway. irrespective of what you think about his comments on software, whats with all the hating on Eno?

Do half of you know what he has had a hand in over the last 30 years? Remain in Light anyone?!

Last edited:

Martin Dust

Techno Zen Master
Nobody's arguing to pass a law in parliment to outlaw fruityloops, just saying that maybe people should consider why they're making music and what good it is, before turning on their gear.

I know, Eno just gets on my tits for many reasons and while I don't disagree with the above principle, I also know that it doesn't always need to be that way.

Martin Dust

Techno Zen Master
The real problem with plugs is medium size hobbyist studios with thirty high end synth plugs, endless possibilities, and not a good idea in sight.

It's no different to the classic band set up, just that now everyone can get access to kit they wouldn't have been able to afford and I'm all for that.

Martin Dust

Techno Zen Master
Anyway. irrespective of what you think about his comments on software, whats with all the hating on Eno?

Do half of you know what he has had a hand in over the last 30 years? Remain in Light anyone?!

I don't think he's had anything interesting to say for 29 years and he just sounds like a cracked record, inventing a back story for the crap he puts out - it's so coffee table you can taste the Pledge.

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
I make a point for myself of not using any cracked or stolen music software. Partly because I love the gift economy of all the fantastic free stuff that's out there. It's really like something for nothing. I think I'll wire my computer up to an excercise bike with a dynamo and become properly indie.

Logos

Ghosts of my life
It's no different to the classic band set up, just that now everyone can get access to kit they wouldn't have been able to afford and I'm all for that.

Except the whole reason something like punk emerged was because the classic band scenario - 18 different guitars used on an album, £10,000 synths, two years recording an album in some island studio - became so bloated and musically bankrupt.