what if there is no next BIG thing?

DJ PIMP

Luciano - Bla Bla Bla. Great slice of New Trance.

Latin-wise the Matias Aguayo album still sticks out for me.

D84

Originally Posted by turtles
the latin influence in minimal techno right now is really pushing things forward

The end is in sight then.

Hmm... You obviously are not a techno fan.

Latin rhythms have been all through most of the techno and house sets I've heard in the last eight or ten years - at least: from Derrick May and Carl Craig to Jeff Mills at his maddest/hardest. Check out some of those tracks on the Transmat comps. (eg. Microworld)

Isn't the TR-727 a latin drum machine?

There's possibly even a latin influence on electro too...

It's no surprise that these guys are emphasizing that aspect of the sound now. Why not? esp. if that let's you mix in some real latin percussion records.

It's all part of the black atlantic thing, no doubt.

borderpolice

Latin rhythms have been all through most of the techno and house sets I've heard in the last eight or ten years

what do you mean by "latin rhytms" then? i find it hard to detect much latin influence in techno and house, speaking as somebody who has spent considerable amount of time in latin america. do you mean the odd compound meter that can be found in hihat patterns?

D84

what do you mean by "latin rhytms" then? i find it hard to detect much latin influence in techno and house, speaking as somebody who has spent considerable amount of time in latin america. do you mean the odd compound meter that can be found in hihat patterns?

Well, it could be, but I'm not a musician nor an expert on latin music. I think Samba is the main style that feeds into techno. Apparently that Microworld track "Signals" on Transmat is something like an electronic samba track. I get the feeling that the techno guys filch their rhythms from many places though.

I've also heard the DJs drop latin tracks or at least tracks that heavily sample latin music/rhythm into their sets too.

By all means, please correct me if I'm wrong..

bassnation

the abyss
suggesting that Trance was ever any good in the first place? not to my knowledge.

it was good once. early eyeQ, R&S (who people forget started life as a trance label). djs like andy weatherall, acts like the source experience (the utterly brilliant "elektra" - hissing white noise and trance minimalism).

techno and trance are very closely related and back in 1992 people sometimes used them interchangeably (heresy! burn him!)

just because it became the abberation that pumped up the careers of people like judge jules and oakenfold, doesn't mean its all crap.

Last edited:
Well, it could be, but I'm not a musician nor an expert on latin music. I think Samba is the main style that feeds into techno. Apparently that Microworld track "Signals" on Transmat is something like an electronic samba track. I get the feeling that the techno guys filch their rhythms from many places though.

Check 'Freestyle' by Mayday. One of the original galloping samba tunes.

just because it became the abberation that pumped up the careers of people like judge jules and oakenfold, doesn't mean its all crap.

I guess your right, Marc. I just don't generally equate that earlier stuff as 'Trance' in the way it's meant today. Although looking at my copy of Reactivate vol. 3, it's subtitled 'Trancetaria', so what do I know?

bassnation

the abyss
I guess your right, Marc. I just don't generally equate that earlier stuff as 'Trance' in the way it's meant today. Although looking at my copy of Reactivate vol. 3, it's subtitled 'Trancetaria', so what do I know?

yeah know exactly what you mean. shifting definitions over time. its like the whole minimal thing - i see it as being the 2 bar loop style played by mills, sims etc. it seems to have broadened to include kompact style house (as an aside i'd regard a load of their releases as trance - and not in a good way either) along with anything else that looks worth appropriating from house as a whole.

mms

sometimes
it was good once. early eyeQ, R&S (who people forget started life as a trance label)

b4 r and s did the source and all that they were a new beat label in the early 80's the source, jam and spoon etc made em big tho.
i think they went thru loads of incarnations, mainly as they kept on going bankrupt etc.

bassnation

the abyss
b4 r and s did the source and all that they were a new beat label in the early 80's the source, jam and spoon etc made em big tho.
i think they went thru loads of incarnations, mainly as they kept on going bankrupt etc.

my bad - should have known what with them being belgian!

swears

preppy-kei
So nobody would say NME indie is the Big Thing at the moment? I think it's the closest we've got in the UK, even if it is shit. All the indie types look really smug and cocky at the moment, they get to be total conformists and "alternative" at the same time. It's weird.

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
So nobody would say NME indie is the Big Thing at the moment? I think it's the closest we've got in the UK, even if it is shit. All the indie types look really smug and cocky at the moment, they get to be total conformists and "alternative" at the same time. It's weird.

Whatever it is it's not the NEXT big thing.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"All the indie types look really smug and cocky at the moment"
I think that if you read the NME (or John Harris or whoever) there is a lot of smugness from the journalists. Rock bands in Ibiza, we've won etc
But I agree with Noel Emits

"Whatever it is it's not the NEXT big thing."
Because even those smug journalists are saying "it's back", "proper music is here again", whatever. There is no sense that even it's biggest fans think it's new.

stelfox

Beast of Burden
The end is in sight then.

i don't think so. it's not *that* kind of latin influence.
it's worth remembering that latin music will be a genuine part of the lives of folks like luciano and villalobos, them actually being south american and all that.
the influence is more in the rhythm patterns and the programming, not in the instrumentation itself.
it's nothing like the same as west london bods sampling rare batucadas and sambas, and being all straight no chaser, tasteful-jazz-dude about it.

Last edited:
it's worth remembering that latin music will be a genuine part of the lives of folks like luciano and villalobos, them actually being south american and all that...

...it's nothing like the same as west london bods sampling rare batucadas and sambas, and being all straight no chaser, tasteful-jazz-dude about it.

You're right. I just felt like when the spanish house thing hit and the latin 2step thing an brazilian d'n'b thing came through it kinda had nowhere left to go after that. Even that reggaeton hiphop thing which looked like it was gonna blow up just did nothing for me. People either just rewound and hit the rinse and repeat cycle or moved on to the next BIG thing.

elgato

I just dont know
luciano and villalobos, them actually being south american and all that.

for me this comes across very strongly on blind behaviour

but i also think that the whole cadenza sound (loose and innacurate terminology, but the most obvious signifier i can think of) is unlikely to have occured without the south american heritage

and in my opinion that intricate percussive style is one of the sides of "minimal" (im starting to hate that phrase. i might just start calling it dance) that is pushing the boundaries most right now

N

nomadologist

People on Dissensus seem so ahead of the curve. Maybe we should be the ones making the next big thing instead of just talking about it. I'm just saving up for that powerbook myself :)

swears

preppy-kei
Bill Drummond's musical fantasy.

I know these traditions are as much determined by the economics of bringing musicians from all quarters of the world to your local club or concert hall but that doesn't stop me from wanting more, something else in a different shape. There were all sorts of other things going on in my head about music and experiments. I wanted to take in the making of music itself in the hope that it might exist away from the consumable formats of recorded music and away from the concert platform. I even have fantasies about waking up to find that all music has disappeared from the world. We can't even remember what it sounded like. We knew we had music, we knew it was important to us. In my fantasy we would have to start making music again from a year zero situation, with nothing but our voices. As I said, just a fantasy.