DJ Mag top 100

swears

preppy-kei
It's not so much that I mind that older the DJ's are so popular, it's just that there seems to be so little new blood coming though. I don't think it takes that long for a DJ to get that good, I know fellas in their early twenties that have been DJing for six or seven years and have their skills pat down. This list just seems to be so banal and careerist, most of the funky house/scouse house/trance tunes these fellas are playing could have easily come out five years ago, without sounding ahead of their time.
You've got to respect someone like Erol Alkan for not selling out to things like TV tie-ins and putting out a mix every other month. I just wish a new wave would emerge, drop the silly tempos, get a bit of sparseness in there, have tracks with a bit more of a groove rather than a chug, and still cross over. Sort of when Nirvana made all the hair metal bands look dated, a DJ equivalent of that.

Guybrush

Dittohead
I don't think it takes that long for a DJ to get that good, I know fellas in their early twenties that have been DJing for six or seven years and have their skills pat down.
But I would say "six or seven years" is a long time by most standards.

The essence of what I wrote is that even if your friends are already quite skilled they are in all likelihood going to get even better in the years to come, supposing they stay in the loop. I think this is interesting because it contrasts verily with the evolutionary curve for most rock artists. That is not to say everything is well and swell at the top of the dj ladder however: the lack of new (but experienced!) blood is rueful and the overrepresentation of trance is tiring.

DJ is obviously shit - everyone knows that.
One of the reasons this list bothers me slightly is that it is, contrary to what you seem to think, often referred to by people who aren't in the know as some kind of meter on who's rocking the dance world, Tiësto and Co. therefore basically become the poster-boys of dance music.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
The people who like other forms of dance music just don't vote in this poll, I think its that simple. Do minimal or dubstep fans vote? I didn't and neither (presumably) did any of you!

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
One of the reasons this list bothers me slightly is that it is, contrary to what you seem to think, often referred to by people who aren't in the know as some kind of meter on who's rocking the dance world, Tiësto and Co. therefore basically become the poster-boys of dance music.

Um, isn't that what happens with every genre of music? A casual observer would assume, from reading Q, that U2 and Coldplay are the cutting edge of rock n roll right now. Tiesto and co are dance music for the masses, like it or not - I've (unhappily - I was dragged there) been to see him, and, yes, a lot of people are really evangelical about his style. Which seemed to consist of playing the same record 134 times in succession.

Troy

31 Seconds
I've (unhappily - I was dragged there) been to see him (Tiesto), and, yes, a lot of people are really evangelical about his style. Which seemed to consist of playing the same record 134 times in succession.

So Tiesto is hip to, and extremely fanatical about, the jungle/2-step/dubstep rewind? Cool.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
lol - yeah. Except he seemed not to appreciate that playing the whole song is not always necessary in these situations.