Fizheuer Zieheuer

N

nomadologist

So seconds into the same rather offhand dismissal I've posted above, made simultaneously to my boyfriend in real life, he puts on Alcachofa as a counter-argument and it's a lot better than Ach So already. Still, I will need convincing.

S

simon silverdollar

one thing i find interesting about villalobos is that for all his reputation of making very difficult, out-there music, he's got a gift for melody and hooks that's pretty much unparalleled in techno and house right now- he's one of very few producers who can be relied upon to come up with tunes you'll be humming to yrself long after you've left the dancefloor- easy lee, dexter, the first tune off 'ich so', fizheuer, may even true to myself...

only the likes of booka shade can compete with that hit-rate! for all his music is really odd, he's also about really massiv riffs, and fizheuer is a great example of that.

stelfox

Beast of Burden
maybe i'm just completely missing the point, but all i thought was that in the time it took me to listen to this, i could have listened to about four really decent reggae singles.

(full disclosure, i happen to really like villalobos most of the time, but just think that life's too short for 14-minute records that don't really go anywhere.)

blunt

shot by both sides
(full disclosure, i happen to really like villalobos most of the time, but just think that life's too short for 14-minute records that don't really go anywhere.)

Imagine it's 5am. You're a bit wasted. It's still going off, and the sun is coming up. The deejay has dropped something really massive, and then brought it back down for a couple of tunes. And then this comes in. All very nice, you think. Bit bouncy, keeping me going quite nicely. And then... and then... those horns.

What...

the fuck...

is this?!

You look about you, and everyone looks like they're thinking the same thing. Bit confused, but lapping it up. And eventually they're all smiling and revelling in this very moment.

It's all about the context, isnit? For there is no meaning without it :)

childrentalking

for your consideration, here's the source material Villalobos used for the track.

now, Pobjednicki Cocek (Ricardo Villalobos remix) might be a more accurate title than Fizheuer Zieheuer, but this confirms all my original feelings.

FZ is a very simple, very good idea -- efficiently executed to create an unforgettable moment on the dancefloor (cf Villalobos interviews where he's mentioned this is his key goal when he's DJing). pressing this up for general public consumption surely wasn't his initial plan in April... it's a weapon intended for Villalobos and Luciano DJ sets. it obviously didn't take him very long to make. you could tell that from the off, listening to the simplicity of the sound engineering/beat compared to his other recent releases.

this is still my favourite track of the year -- precisely because of those moments. the look on my friend's face the first time she heard it out (the first time she'd ever heard it, period) was priceless. see the above post.

matt2

Wowzers, he really did just use pretty much the who thing, not just a sample. Calling it Pobjednicki Cocek (Ricardo Villalobos remix) does seem quite apprpriate. Thanks for this.

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
I think it goes on a bit.

Villalobos has done some good DJ sets but he can play too hard / too grating.

I think Ame kick him into the corner, but then they're deep, not minimal, and above all, they're house.

Guybrush

Dittohead
Thanks for the track. It is pretty good. I guess this confirms that it is in fact a gypsy sample and not, as some reviews stated, a latin one (which they probably lazily assumed because of his name).