no music day

Guybrush

Dittohead
I'm bumping this thread so that it does not fall into oblivion. Tomorrow it is. I'm already contemplating which song to listen to after the fast, it has to be fresh on the ears and familiar at once so the options aren't as numerous as I would like.

N

nomadologist

In NYC, not hearing music for any period of time is impossible. Right now, I can hear reggaeton blasting from next door, and Montemar, the famous reggaeton bar in brooklyn, is just down the street. Thing is, it's all become background noise, whitenoise, so it's not even music anymore. I'm not listening to music.

DJ PIMP

My mp3 drive shat itself yesterday. Today I am failing to repair the MFT on the disk and copying the data off so I can reformat the drive and put everything back on.

It is highly likely I will be listening to music tomorrow when it's fixed up.

N

nomadologist

sorry bleep. that sucks. i lost 10 pages of a research paper myself a few days ago. fucking technology.

somewhat off-topic question: do people here share music using yousendit and whatnot?

by all means share...

...tell ya what I've gone off lately is drums, beats, rhythm, syncopation

I tend to binge on music and stick my fingers down my throat to purge it all then start again...

Guybrush

Dittohead
somewhat off-topic question: do people here share music using yousendit and whatnot?
Yes, sometimes. Yousendit is not the best option though, I think. These are instead:

Speedyshare
128MB File limit
Files are deleted after 7 days of inactivity
1MB+ Download speed (urgent & key!)

Rapidshare (the most popular one; there's an American version now too)
100MB File limit
Files are deleted after 45 days of inactivity
1MB+ Download speed

What makes these stand out is the download speed. If you want to share "questionable" files, I suggest opting for Rapidshare since they are known for not taking any actions (that I've heard of) if they discover an illegal link. If you are not, Speedyshare is the best option since that service is much smoother (no download "tickets", [next to] no wait between downloads etc.).

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
Observing so far!

Had to test a keyboard I'm selling but made sure the test was strictly disharmonious.

Last night there was a band playing somewhere near me, loud shouty jamming - they stopped at 12:00 more or less on the dot. That would have been good - an end of music party. Actually I'm quite enjoying the silence, keep having to remind myself not put some music on though.

Last edited:

swears

preppy-kei
Aw shit.
My mate at work started singing "King of Rock and Roll" by Prefab Sprout and I absent-mindedly joined in..
Well, I'll try and avoid recorded music anyway.

Guybrush

Dittohead
As silent as the grave here, and as I'm staying home all day I don't think observing the fast will be very problematic. I've been hearing a few tunes in my head, but they're easily erased with a little bit of brain gymnastics; I wonder if it's my slumbering creativity, normally stupefied by a sensory overload onslaught, that's crawling back.

john eden

male pale and stale
I think it's a great idea but I won't be doing it this year cos I have an evening to myself tonight to catch up with a load of records I have bought but not heard more than a couple of times.

I once went for about 3 months without deciding what music to listen to, when travelling. I missed it bigtime and it made me appreciate it all the more.

It's conceivable that periods without music will help me re-engage with my records rather than continually looking out for new records to get, which would be great - and not only for my bank balance.

martin

----
Unfortunately, lack of music's been encouraging friskiness and immoral thoughts, so I'll be breaking this 'fast' with some Saints tonight.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
I think if you were going to actually do this some noise cancelling headphones would be essential to avoid totalitarian enjoyment. Now all I need is some Xmas cancelling blinkers as well and complete totali-entertainment isolation is attained!

Guybrush

Dittohead
3 1/2 hours left now, and no withdrawal symptoms in sight. I have been quite orthodox actually, what with staying indoors all day and all, but it feels like my ear-buds could need some extra silence-spanking before I'll develop the twitchy gimmies I'm really longing for. My current plan is to upload Flash and the Pan's "Waiting for a Train" to my mp3-player and have a walk after midnight, it'll suite the weather fine (rainy:( ).