New to you in 2006

polystyle

Conrad, Monoton & Burial

One of the best things heard all year/ new to moi
was the other night @ Apt. when Scott Mou was playing this looong cut off the Conrad Schintzler 'Green one' from his mid '70's color series.
Dunno anything else about it , but it was sounded quite good , not at all dated.
Electronic drums , almost tribal sounding bts , synth gauze over top . Simple but strong

Then he played a Monoton cut I hadn't listened very close too , followed Conrad nicely.
The production on that is not so super imho , but the ideas are there.

Also the Floyd's ol' sdtk for Barbet Schroeder's The Valley Obscured by Clouds, just got a copy from a brother
instantly remembered hearing Free Four all over underground radio in DC bk in that day.
if you know the cut , that's a great one ! can play it a few times inna row , not a prob

And Burial !

Last edited by a moderator:

bruno

est malade
polystyle, get the monton blau reissue, you'll love that, i suspect.

i've also been re-listening to con a lot. just received a couple of the captain trip reissues, very lavish packaging and ace to have auf dem schwarzen kanal on cd with the 'mephisto' portrait - saving me from the ridiculous expense of having to get the qbico picture lp solely for the atrtwork!

new to me: valerie doré - the night and savage - don't cry tonight, totally amazing italo pop that i had ignored completely up to now.

Last edited:

Mollusc

mollusc
I got Type Records too. Love the Helios record and Xela and Sickoakes too. Also thanks to getting some Jack Rose (and seeing him at The Green Man) have got really into the old haunted-bluegrass stuff of John Fahey and Leo Kottke.

Also, that Different Waters blog has been a revelation - especially the Polmo Polpo record they were, ah, giving away a few weeks ago. Great stuff. Speaking of which, there's more spectral stuff available today: http://differentwaters.blogspot.com/2006/12/spectral-special-2-re-ups.html

On a slightly different, more disturbing tangent, I rediscovered some Duran Duran cds I had at my folks' house and was taken with how well, good they were.

Last edited:

vifsophiste

Wild Horses
1. Goapele - Closer
I previously brushed this aside as tasteful but vacuous "nu-soul," but that was unfair. This is easily one of the best singles of the 00s, shame about it being just under four minutes though.

my cousin introduced this song to me mid-october and i was instantly drawn to her voice and physical beauty. also, i've recently discovered Amel Laurrieux, Charlotte Gainsbourg and the 80's punk band, Mia.