greatest bass players (or basslines) ever

D

dubversion

I know what you mean but he could sure play that bass...

...never heard anyone play chords on a bass guitar before him but Stanley Clarke was just that much funkier and still as technically gifted

How can you go past Louis 'thunderthumbs' Johnson of the johnson brothers ???

Mark King, touch ya balls :p

a favourite bassline for me though is the synth one on "Stargard -which way is up"

see, these are all people I either have no time for or borderline despise. :eek:

monkeysblood

born to cry
anesthesia (pulling teeth) - cliff burton/metallica
from the 'kill 'em all' album

"I Dream of Lars Ulrich Being Thrown Through the Bus Window instead of My Master Mystikall Kliff Burton" - sunn O)))

francesco

Minerva Estassi
anesthesia (pulling teeth) - cliff burton/metallica
from the 'kill 'em all' album

"I Dream of Lars Ulrich Being Thrown Through the Bus Window instead of My Master Mystikall Kliff Burton" - sunn O)))

which make me think of how much is in metal is the bass buried down in the mix... (expecially Metallica sadly for the poor Burton). Why have to be all screaming vocal and guitar? An exception is Iron Maiden, but not that the bassist (who is also the main composer) is one of the greatest bassist in history, but at least the bass is strong in the tracks. I really can't think of any great metal bassline (anesthesia is more a 'bass solo' really). Any help?

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
see, these are all people I either have no time for or borderline despise. :eek:
I kind of have the same feeling (speaking as a hack bass player meself) but Jaco on, say, Coyote is absolutely fantastic - he doesn't showboat or wank, he just adds a gorgeous bounce and bubble to the tune while being clearly aware that his role is to support the vocal rather than show off his own profficiency.

tate

Brown Sugar
I kind of have the same feeling (speaking as a hack bass player meself) but Jaco on, say, Coyote is absolutely fantastic - he doesn't showboat or wank, he just adds a gorgeous bounce and bubble to the tune while being clearly aware that his role is to support the vocal rather than show off his own profficiency.
His playing on Don Juan's Reckless Daughter is extraordinary, I can't imagine the record without it.

michael

Bring out the vacuum
My favourite bassline is The Meters' Just Kissed My Baby.

I also never get sick of Real Rock riddim or whatever it is that Armagideon Time, Sister Nancy's Bam Bam and a trillion other tracks are based on, even though it's absolutely evvvverywhere... can't say the same for Stalag.

D

dubversion

I also never get sick of Real Rock riddim or whatever it is that Armagideon Time, Sister Nancy's Bam Bam and a trillion other tracks are based on, even though it's absolutely evvvverywhere... can't say the same for Stalag.

Sister Nancy's Bam Bam is on the Bam Bam riddim, you know..

mms

sometimes

hang on bam bam is on stalag.

just kissed my baby is absolutely awesome.

dHarry

I really can't think of any great metal bassline (anesthesia is more a 'bass solo' really). Any help?

We've already had Sabbath's amazing Hand Of Doom mentioned (the first thing I sampled & looped when I acquired the technology years ago), but what about their original bass-led riff-monster NIB - the album version of course with the bass solo intro.

Other bass-line highlights from pseudo-metal history:

hair-metal: Living On A Prayer - Bon Jovi (that odious talking-wah-wah bass part)

grunge-metal: Come As You Are - Nirvana

soft-metal: Dancing in the Moonlight - Thin lizzy

post-punk metal: New Dawn Fades - Joy Division

jazz-fusion-metal (ok, really stretching with this one! but it's a bassline for the ages): Stratus - Billy Cobham (AKA Safe From Harm - Massive Attack)

michael

Bring out the vacuum
hang on bam bam is on stalag.

Gah, you're right, dunno what I was thinking. Actually I remembered I have a Horace Andy 7 that's on Stalag and it's ace too. For me Stalag just has bad associations with boring cafe downbeat stuff in the 90s.

Dubversion - I did a google, looks like Bam Bam riddim is something else:

http://www.jamrid.com/RiddimDetail.php?ID=22&search=Bam Bam&type=Riddim

Warning if you're at work: the above page will play music straight away when you click on it. The site is ridiculous.

gabriel

The Heatwave
Dubversion - I did a google, looks like Bam Bam riddim is something else:

the bam bam riddim (murder she wrote, bam bam by pliers etc) is based on the bassline from the stalag riddim. here's how it goes:

toots & the maytals - bam bam (doesn't have the stalag bassline i don't think)
sister nancy - bam bam on the stalag riddim
pliers - bam bam on the bam bam riddim (essentially a 90s version of the stalag bassline, but with a different drum pattern and sounding very different)