(the inevitable dumb) BEST OF '06 (thread)

john eden

male pale and stale
  • Sparks - Hello Young Lovers
  • Razor X LP
  • blogariddims
  • BASH
  • everything I've put on a mix or rsi radio thing

joe.

loads o stuff i reckon...
timbaland wrecking it again, especially...

nelly f 'promiscuous girl'
JT 'my love'

other great singles...

cassie 'me n u'
movado 'wha dem a say'
baby cham 'ghetto story'
slix's no base riddim
beyonce one about 'to the left' big on the train

then plus...

the new clipse album 'hell hath no fury'
tunnel vision 1
killer mike 'i pledge allegiance to the grind'
burial
kode9 n spaceape album
dr auratheft 'doaba gypsies mix

Last edited:

matt b

Indexing all opinion
marlene ammers- 'live the life'- the penultimate song played by channel one @ nottinghill on sunday- pure good vibes
om- 'conference of the birds'- the part of the sleep axis doing good things. the first song just rules
cat power- 'the greatest'- first and last song only. al green's backing band nuff said
digital mystikz- 'haunted' / 'anti-war dub' + 'ancient memories'
mrk 1/ sizzla- 'i got to'
hyperdub
blogariddims
otherwise, 90% of what i buy is old stuff

Last edited:

dHarry

great-ish pop in '06:

Sugababes: Easy
Girls Aloud: Something Kinda Ooh
Madonna: Get Together (Typically weak vocals & lyrics aside, this is like Booka Shade's Mandarin Girl remixed by Fennesz & Daft Punk, non? Georgeously digi-plastic synths pumping sympathetically with the disco machine pulse...)
Ladytron: Destroy Everything You Touch

mos dan

fact music
Justin ft T.I. - My Love
Cassie - Me and U
Ruff Sqwad - Died In Yr Arms vocal

three songs i could listen to forever

gumdrops

albums -
clipse - hell hath no fury
spank rock - yoyoyoyo
cx kidtronik - krak attack
burial - burial
kode 9/spaceape - memories of future
micah - everything
killer mike - pledge allegiance to the grind
de la soul - impossible mission
timberlake - future love/sex sounds

im sure theres others but im drawing a blank

Last edited:

Guybrush

Dittohead
Less name-dropping and more writing please, there a few things duller than watching a long list of unknown names with no comments. :)

Dancey

Fred Falke - Omega Man/Wait for Love
This year's indisputable masterpiece. Pitch perfect in every way.

The Knife - We Share Our Mother's Health (Radio Slave Mix)
A neck-and-neck race between this and his "Deer in the Headlights" remix, the brilliant celly-noise-runs-amok effect narrowly tipping things in this song's favour. The album was an utter snorefest, though.

Christian Falk & Pauline - Shine
From the surprisingly non-kitschy steel drums to Pauline's mellifluous timbre, this track just oozes hot fun in the summertime. Granted, it's very similar to his earlier tracks, but I view him less as a one-trick pony and more as an artiste sedulously refining his craft.

Mahala Rai Banda - Mahalageasca (Bucovina Dub)
Similar to Basement Jaxx's "Hey You" in that it has Gypsy/Slavic/folk inspired elements, but where that song ends up in multiculti-land (thanks to Robyn's singing lending the song an Anglo-Saxon aura—imagine how fabulous it would have been had it instead been sung by a plaintive, and sligthly tipsy, Cossack) this one expertedly retains the pizzazz of the composite parts.

+

Ada - Living It Up
The Field - Sun and Ice EP
Lindstrøm - Another Station
Linus Loves - VH1

The Best of the Year's Hit Singles (and, no, they're not a very impressive bunch)

Bob Sinclar & Steve Edwards - World, Hold On
Cascada - Everytime We Touch
Justin Timberlake & Timbaland - SexyBack
Outkast, Scar & Sleepy Brown - Morris Brown

Miscellaneous

Burial - Burial
Yes, Mr. Me too.

Busta Rhymes - Touch It (Diplo Mix)
Baltimore Club with entourage was one the year's freshest sounds, even though next to all songs were corny throwaways. This nitro-fueled remix of "Touch It" is the genre's finest moment yet, I think, even trumping the (admittedly, quite lacklustre) original.

Diamond & Princess - Georgia Girl
The sassiest hip-hop song of the year.

Lupe Fiasco - Sunshine
The best hip-hop song of the year.

Mungolian Jet Set - When You're in Need (Is a Constant Thing in Change)
Splendid Balearica from Norway with Bugge Wesseltoft behind the piano. The whole album is superb, but this is the stand-out track.

Peter, Björn and John with Victoria Bergsman - Young Folks (Beyond the Wizard's Sleeve Mix)
One of the year's indie gems.

PNC - Just Roll
Bags of fun hip hop from New Zealand. The Undisputed Truth was right: This is an absolute corker of a track.

Veronica Maggio - Dumpa mig (Erik Hp Mix)
I'm not at all fond of the original, but this trad-jazz pastiche is lovely. If that's Erik Hp playing the trumpet I'm even more impressed.

Blue title = Link to video or sound-clip

MankyFiver

Been hard to pick as I went through what id bought/filched this year and realised over 70% was 'old stuff' that id just discovered, but this is what set me up

Another Station (Todd Terje Mix) - LIndstrom

- didnt realise id so be into dancing again after a few years of hating anything with a rhythm but the last 18 months have set me off and this is another of those smooth, surfing tracks with enough of snips and changes to keep your hips huffing. Only regret about all this is the fact that i work on mondays and cant control myself if im out on sunday so aint been down to horsemeat disco enough

Pesto og Kolera (Brennan Green Mix) - Lindstrom

another from lindstrom but dont know the original so not sure if it has been changed that much but oh boy i like this, remember 1st getting it and sticking it on and thinking oh yeah its ok, fairly perfunctory start and then about a 3rd of the way through a nimble blasting keyboard riff kicks off and builds to an ecstatic slap in the face that on further listens made the "perfunctory start" just pure anticipation

Comfy In Nautica - Panda Bear

kind of managed to avoid most of the animal collective stuff while liking what i heard but saw this on lovely 7" and took it and again gorgeous, starting with rattling then vocal loop and beach boys (sorry) type vocal line, nothing new but touching

Cortez Tha Killa - Sunroof

Matthew Bower seems to be releasing like nuts just the same as all the noise bods and most of it is ok but this with Mike Flowers on guitar just got me, basically a long solo complete with bum notes eventually finding the spot. Coincidentally Sunroofs support spot for Sunburned at Corsica Studios was blinding, 15 mins of guitar freakout but never boring and thats hard to do, I mean listen to Acid Mothers!

Save - Kap Bambino

downloaded from 20 Jazz Funk Greats and expecting another youth commendable slab of 8 bit noise and shouting and it was! but with extra DHR beats and fucking wonderful singing, cant make out a word but I KNOW its important cos its about being alive. Played 8 times in a row after first listen.Definitely my track of the year

I Always Say Yes - Glass Candy

downloaded from their myspace page. Been a bit unsure of their synth direction but this made it all alright. Rough, muffled throbbing synth bass and descending chimes and Ida No's usual wrong but right lyrics, the last 2 mins just concentrates on the movement, all still and slippery and the little rhythm guitar forces you to make slitty eyes and pretend your as cool as them

End of the pier 3 - V/VM

part of their make a track a day for free dowload for a year and its one of their caretaker type things, obviously a recording of a medley of british summer holiday songs sung by your mums and dads and you, all the songs are those upbeat ones but filtered and distanced enough to make you listen again and producing a real feeling of longing

Tottumunto - Tottumunto

can't remember how you spell it but on Ultra Eczema who while producing THE best art work for records at the moment release quite a lot of shit. Dont know why this gets me especially as its that random banging on drums, crap keyboards, guitars and animals that has made all the underground folky stuff extremely tiring of late, actually maybe its just the sleeve

I Woke Up - Yellow Swans

first and best track Ive heard from them, seems to fuse both my loves at the moment, noise and disco... well nearly. Anyway its got a rhythm and I can dance to it and its got noise and gives me white lights behing the ears

Delayer (Quiet Village Remix) - Cosmo Vitelli

the hip mixers of the year but hey! calm down its good, again that midtempo of clicking noises and rolling drums that makes so much sense with a good brandy in you and little drum explosions that make you strike poses

hope that wasnt too much writing

Leo

I'm hardly qualified to judge what's the "best" of the year, feel more comfortable listing out things I've listened to/enjoyed most in 2006 (and as usual, many were released prior to this year):

• All Shackelton (various singles, DubSTa mix...just never feel like I've heard enough of him)
  • 2Krazy -- Spring Vibrations mix (thanks to whoever it was here who mentioned this earlier in the year, a solid selection that I played to death)
  • M. Craft -- Silver & Fire (well-done mainstream pop)
  • Deaf Center -- Pale Ravine (lots of other stuff on Type too, but this stood out in the quiet/experimental category)
  • Abe Duque -- So Underground It Hurts (after too much high-brow WIRE music, it's nice to get down with some dirty, fun-lovin' house/acid)
  • Lindstrom & Prins Thomas -- s/t (much to my surprise, this went beyond the dance singles to really work as a home listening album, lots of good slow/mid-tempo tracks)
  • Scritti Politti -- White Bead Black Beer (the VOICE)
  • Paavoharju -- Yha Hamaraa
  • Burial -- Breezeblock session (the album is strong but this session was the first time I'd heard him and it left a stronger impression)
  • Various Production -- Breezeblock session (had lots of the mystery missing from the cd, oddly)
  • Dubstep All-stars Volume 2 (strikes me as the scene-defining comp to date, the one with the tight selection of classics as opposed to the other Volumes that, while all good, tend to cram bits of too many tracks, imho)
  • Mordant Music -- Dead Air (all over the place, and all the better for it)
  • Scuba mixes (podcasts #1 and 2, Back to Basics...clean and lethal sounding)
  • Skream -- various Stella sessions via Barefiles (these really were the sound of the summer for me, trapsing around NYC in the hot summer sun with the latest one blasting on the iPod, a million miles away from "the scene" but, thanks to Barefiles, able to hear the latest dubs the same week they air, wicked)
  • Hot Chip live (free outdoor show at South Street Seaport [a bogus NYC tourist mecca, for those unfamiliar], of all places...I like the records but they were just lots rougher/rowdier/more fun live)

Last edited:

DJ PIMP

This has been my year of electro house, new acid, new detroit, new trance, etc, so...

• Stephan Bodzin - from his Electrochemie releases to his label Herzblut to his new track Pendulum (shit the fucking bed!!!), he is simply on something else.
  • Marc Romboy - such clean deep sound and muscular grooves i.e. In The Club with Blake Baxter! The combos with Bodzin simply destroy me. Sick To Death.
  • Kris Menace
  • Eric Prydz - Frankfurt is genius new trance, and for all its proggy excess his remix of Paolo Mojo's 1983 is an incredible journey-track.
  • Oliver Huntemann
  • Paul Woolford
  • Roman Salzger - Neo Dancer and You Won't Change - just brilliant.
  • Booka Shade
  • Sebastien Leger - blow, blow blow your speakers *mega wonky riff*
  • Lindstrom - moreso the remixes than the originals.
  • Williams
  • AM/PM
With loads of other bits popping off...

Fave album:

Kraftwerk - Computer World
First heard this when I was getting into dancey pants music around 93 and thought, "it will never sound better than this". Well how wrong I was... it sounds better and more relevant than ever. I love how refined their aesthetic was for The Tour de France Soundtracks - but its hard to beat CW for sheer funkyness and the trip across the A-side.

If I was going for something new... maybe the Cicada album? Booka Shade? Dunno...

In summary: 2006 has been off the hook and I got an entirely new set of ears.

Last edited:

swears

preppy-kei
Lo-Fi-Fnk - "Wake Up"

Reminds me a bit of early 90s Pet Shop Boys, after they got into raving. And the crap dancing in the video is uh...endearing I suppose. Maybe my fave single of 2006, either this or Kelis' "Bossy".

jed_

Sibylle Baier - Colour Green
Ekkehard Ehlers - A Life Witout Fear
M. Ward - Post War
The Junior Boys - So This Is Goodbye
Grizzly Bear - The Yellow House
Triosk - The Headlight Serenade
Alva Noto - For
Richard Hawley - Coles Corner
Tom Waits - Orphans
iliketains - Progress reform
Scott Walker - The Drift
Fujiya & Miyage - S/T

run_time

some things that tickled

Gigs

The Chap live (Rhythm Factory, 93 Feet East) - kookie, fun and endearingly geeky
TV on the Radio live (ICA) - wonderful sonics and Kyp Malone's facial hair never ceases to amuse me
The Knife live (Barcelona, Kentish Town Forum) love their recorded output but given an extra layer with visuals
Alva Noto & Ryuichi Sakamoto (Barcelona) blissful serenitywith the air conditioned concert hall providing a welcome relief from the seemingly ever present Barcelonan heat and humidity
Ruff Sqwad (Cross Central Festival) performing on an elevated stage which had them crouching down to prevent their heads hitting the ceiling but still they gave 110%
Matias Aguayo (Bar Music Hall London, Barcelona) music has an extra something live and the London gig felt particularly special given the tiny crowd and the fact that they still went for it
Vyner Street Festival (London) wide assortment of musical treats in a low key setting under the sun - lovely
Hot Chip live (ULU, London) totally different band seemingly and so much better from the one i saw a couple of years before
Junioy Boys (Luminaire, London) despite complaints on Dissensus, was a fun gig in a really intimate space

Spinners
JD Twitch (Cross Central, London, Sub Club, London- favourite player of records and digital files, wonderful depth of music knowledge both in terms of style and period
Tim Sweeney has a habit of staying just the right side of populist with a mix of old classics and more recent stuff

Albums
Burial - s/t
Hot Chip - Coming on Strong
Betty Botox presents...G4 Faggot (fun re-edits of various hidden and not so hidden gems)
Nôze - How to Dance (fruity dance floor madness)
TV on the Radio - Return to Cookie Mountain
The Knife - Silent Shout
V/A - Death Before Distemper (great look at some of DC Recordings output)
Fuckpony - Children of Love
Fujiya & Miyagi - Transparent Things
Junior Boys - So this is goodbye
Rub n Tug - Better with a Spoonful of Leather
Various Production - The world is Gone
My My - Songs for the Gentle
Lindstrom - It's a Feedelity Affair
Joanna Newsom - Ys
Beirut - Gulag Orkestar
LCD Soundsystem - 45:33: Nike+ Original Run

Singles

Prinzhorn Dance School - You Are the Space Invader
Rhythm & Sound - Let We Go (Villalobos Mix)
Rhythm & Sound - Dem Never Know (Sleeparchive Remix)
Otterman Empire - Texas Radio
Lindstrom- Another Day (Todd Terje Remix)
Rihanna - SOS
Cassie - Me & U
Jamie Lidell - A Little Bit More (Luke Vibert Mix)
Ricardo Villalobos - Fizheuer Zieheuer
Loco Dice - Seeing Through Shadows
wiley - Gangsterz
Cheb Mami - Hatachi (Cuss Riddim)

Last edited: