Bring me the thread of Alfredo Garcia

P

Parson

cross of iron is up there with the getaway

one of sam's best

the english speaking germans was real off putting at first but i got over it

nochexxx

harco pronting
I like the weird relationship the protagonist develops with the head and stuff. The main problem is loads of the lines sound like cliches, simply because some of them are and because he spends lots of time thinking aloud in a slightly silly way.

I really can't make up my mind about Peckinpah, is he a great visionary who makes compelling studies of violence etc etc or just a dirty boring bastard? Also, was the film misogynistic or just portraying a misogynistic culture? Overall it struck me as an extremly strange film.

Anyone have any thoughts?

i finally got round to watching this film and absolutely loved it. i also liked the relationship between benny and the head, thought it was both entertaining and expertly played by warren oats (who i must now see more films relating to! / recommendations please?). his ability to act suitably and increasingly nutty throughout the film made those speaking out aloud scenes not only enjoyable but believable imo.

i've only seen three peckinpah films (strawdogs, the getaway etc), so i'm very much looking forward to watching more. where next?

although strawdogs did initially frustrate and annoy me for a while, i now think it's a great piece of work.

crackerjack

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Has anyone ever seen Die Screaming Marianne with Susan George? It's miserably dreadful."
I've seen that, can't remember much about it though to be honest. I think that the best thing about it was the title - maybe the music was pretty good as well, I can't really remember.

"i also liked the relationship between benny and the head, thought it was both entertaining and expertly played by warren oats (who i must now see more films relating to! / recommendations please?)."
Yeah, I agree about the relationship with the head - really that whole journey home is great with the flies, the scent you can almost smell (though actually I don't really know what it would be like) etc. I reckon the journey there is good and all in fact but I reckon that I could have done without those increasingly silly shoot-outs at the end. Very grimy feeling kind of film and I liked that about it. Just truly felt uncomfortable when he was crawling out of that grave and you could imagine the horrible mixture of sweat and dirt and blood on your skin.
For Warren Oates definitely check Two Lane Blacktop, The Shooting and Cockfighter - all directed by Monte Hellman and the first two amongst my favourite films.

nochexxx

harco pronting
cheers chaps! plenty to be getting on with.......... i guess at some point i should be heading over to the western films thread!!

nochexxx

harco pronting
Two Lane Blacktop Monte Hellman and the first two amongst my favourite films.

awesome film, thanks! although i didn't understand two things!??

why was warren oats wearing about 8 different colour variants of the same sweater throughout the movie?

and i didn't understand why the 'pink slips' race seemed so lax from beginning to end.

STN

sou'wester
All Pete Walker films are total shit except that one with the priest in Richmond. I only watched Die Screaming Marianne in the hopes that Susan George would see the error of wearing clothes.

nochexxx

harco pronting
idle rich, you have excellent taste! cockfighter was f'ing brilliant as well. thanks for pleasing a fusspot like me with two awesome films!

IdleRich

IdleRich
"idle rich, you have excellent taste! cockfighter was f'ing brilliant as well. thanks for pleasing a fusspot like me with two awesome films!"
Ha great. I think The Shooting is even better though.

"I'd like the record to show I recommended Two lane Blacktop before him"
Au contrair Crackerjack

http://www.dissensus.com/showthread.php?t=5467&highlight=monte+hellman

Actually, I take no credit, it was only 'cause one of my friends just kept banging on at me to watch The Shooting that I got interested in this stuff. Hellman is an interesting character, he was pencilled in to make so many films that never happened in the end, it's a shame when you know what might have been.

"why was warren oats wearing about 8 different colour variants of the same sweater throughout the movie?
and i didn't understand why the 'pink slips' race seemed so lax from beginning to end."
I really can't remember to be honest. In fact I probably wouldn't have even noticed the jumpers at the time, I'm rubbish with things like that.

nochexxx

harco pronting
Ha great. I think The Shooting is even better though.

cheers i'm on it. need more monte asap! in fact please feel free to pm me any other of your other film recommendations.

I really can't remember to be honest. In fact I probably wouldn't have even noticed the jumpers at the time, I'm rubbish with things like that.

i remember seeing the first jumper change. i laughed out loud and was thinking how cheap is that. low and behold a few scenes later he has another knit on, this time it's deep red in colour. from then on he wears at least another 6 or 7 knits (all are in the same style btw). i now believe the jumper changing was a conceptual ply. but why though?! i'm going to count the changes properly next time and submit the facts to imdb!

nochexxx

harco pronting
have you seen this?

Richard Linklater's Things I Love About Two-Lane Blacktop

Because it's the purest American road movie ever.
Because it's like a drive-in movie directed by a French New Wave director.
Because the only thing that can get between a boy and his car obsession is a girl, and Lori Bird perfectly messes up the oneness between the Driver, the Mechanic, and their car.
Because Dennis Wilson gives the greatest performance ever by a driver.
Because James Taylor seems like a refugee from a Robert Bresson movie.
Because there was once a god who walked the Earth named Warren Oates.
Because there's a continuing controversy over who is the actual lead in this movie. There are different camps. Some say it's the '55 Chevy, some say it's the GTO.
Because it has the most purely cinematic ending in film history.
Because it's like a western. The guys are like old-time gunfighters, ready to out-draw the quickest gun in town. And they don't talk about old flames, but rather old cars they've had.
Because Warren Oates has a different cashmere sweater for every occasion. And of course the wet bar in the trunk.
Because unlike other films of the era with the designer alienation of the drug culture and the war protesters, this movie is about the alienation of everybody else, like Robert Frank's American Comes Alive.
Because Warren Oates, as GTO, orders a hamburger and an Alka Seltzer and says things like "Everything is going too fast and not fast enough."
Because it's both the last film of the '60s -- even though it came out in '71 -- but it's also the first film of the '70s. You know, that great era of "How the hell did they ever get that film made at a studio/Hollywood would never do that today" type of film.
Because engines have never sounded better in a movie.
Because these two young men on their trip to nowhere don't really know how to talk. The Driver doesn't really converse when he's behind the wheel, and the Mechanic doesn't really talk when he's working on the car. So this is primarily a visual, atmospheric experience. To watch this movie correctly is to become absorbed into it.
And, above all else, Two-Lane Blacktop goes all the way with its idea. And that's a rare thing in this world; a completely honest movie.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"cheers i'm on it. need more monte asap! in fact please feel free to pm me any other of your other film recommendations."
Well there aren't too many more Monte films I'm afraid. As for other recommendations, have you seen The Passenger directed by Antonioni? That's got a similar feel I think, Jack Nicholson plays a war journalist who is one of only two white men staying in a hotel somewhere in Africa. When the other guest dies Jack Nicholson's character - totally on a whim - moves the body into his room, pastes his photo into the other guy's passport and then basicallly assumes his life, abandoning his own career, wife, house etc in the process. A very Monte Hellman type story I think. The same friend who recommended Hellman also made me watch this.

"i remember seeing the first jumper change. i laughed out loud and was thinking how cheap is that. low and behold a few scenes later he has another knit on, this time it's deep red in colour. from then on he wears at least another 6 or 7 knits (all are in the same style btw). i now believe the jumper changing was a conceptual ply. but why though?! i'm going to count the changes properly next time and submit the facts to imdb!"
OK, this is bugging me now too - I'll see if I can find out.

"Richard Linklater's Things I Love About Two-Lane Blacktop"
Very nice.

"Because the only thing that can get between a boy and his car obsession is a girl, and Lori Bird perfectly messes up the oneness between the Driver, the Mechanic, and their car."
I love it when she creeps into the car as a kind of stowaway and then when they notice they don't even do anything, just accept it as it happens as they do with everything.
Also, the way that GTO tells everyone he picks up a different story about how fantastic he is, and there's that bit where he starts telling the driver (or is it the mechanic?) what actually sounds like the truth for the first time, about how his wife left him and it all fell apart from him and stuff - and the other guys just says "I don't care".

crackerjack

Good film.

I remember being bored stoopid by it, but I was about 16 and probably pissed off at the lack of guns and stuff.

Now I'm pissed off again, cos it was on telly the other day and i thought about giving it another go and didn't. The 2 hours I spent watching Rendition last night could've gone on that.

slim jenkins

El Hombre Invisible
I remember being bored stoopid by it, but I was about 16 and probably pissed off at the lack of guns and stuff.

Now I'm pissed off again, cos it was on telly the other day and i thought about giving it another go and didn't. The 2 hours I spent watching Rendition last night could've gone on that.

Yes, I'd have been bored stupid by it at sixteen, probably. My film 'education' proper didn't really start until the advent of video players. Now I'm all grown up with my own place and DVD I can scrutinise the mise-en-scène aspects of 'Carry On Camping'.