Nintendo Wii

PopMobile

I didn't know that about the c64 and Amiga games - how cool!

Anyone who can't hold onto that controller doesn't deserve to own a Wii in the first place - bunch of fuckwits.

Anywho - here's my Wii experience:

-------------------------------------------

Part 1

I collected the console at 7am on the morning of the 8th. My local GAME wasn't exactly heaving with people, but there were around 20 or so tired-looking folks like me, queuing up to receive their pre-packed pre-order bags. My full launch-day purchase list was:

Wii Console (with free Wii Sports)
Zelda: TP
Call of Duty 3
Wii Play (with free Wiimote)
Extra Nunchuk
Wii Points card (2000 points)

…I usually try to pool games with my mates, so I also have access to a copy of Red Steel and the Marvel Superheroes game.

The first thing I should mention is the joyful experience of turning the Wii on for the first time and holding that controller in your hand. After getting past a disclaimer page, you're greeted by the Wii menu page – and the first thing I noticed is the incredible responsiveness of the Wiimote. I know, I know, people have been raving about this since E3, but nothing can compare to actually using it yourself. You quickly have to break the habit of vaguely pointing the remote in the direction of the TV as you would a TV remote, as you realise that if you move it too much, you'll lose sight of the on-screen pointer – but it's surprisingly easy to break that habit. In fact, that comment could sum up the controller in general: you will see decades-old habits just disappearing in a couple of minutes with this thing, and an hour or two later you'll be wondering how you ever played games WITHOUT a motion-sensing controller.

I had an unexpected but very welcome surprise when I realised that when you pass the pointer over a "clickable" option, it vibrates ever-so-slightly, it's kind of equivalent to how on some websites, if you pass the mouse pointer over a link, the text of link becomes enlarged or bold – it's a beautiful little touch, one of many unexpected joys to be had from using this machine. I was determined to get all the firmware updates before I started playing the console for real, but it appeared that there were server problems, so I abandoned my hopes of getting the updates for a moment.

I opened up the Mii channel and created myself an avatar – this is another beautiful touch about the console that looks ok on paper, but is actually much more amusing and engaging when you do it for real. The avatar creation tool is simplicity itself – and once you're familiar with the navigation, you can knock up a decent likeness of yourself in about 3 minutes – perfect for those random visitors who turn up on your doorstep from time to time, and after a while when you've made avatars for most of your friends, you will have a lot of fun creating your Mr Ts, Ali Gs, Osama bin Ladens etc – the only real limit is your imagination, although I'll admit that even though the Mii Creator is extensive, it could benefit from a few extra options (maybe a better selection of hats for starters, and a bigger colour palette would be nice).

Choosing my first game, I opted to put Wii Play in the machine, since it is basically designed to help you get used to the controller. It's a series of minigames, starting with just one, but unlocking a total of about 10 more as you play each one. The first minigame is an update of the NES classic Duck Hunt – I felt a massive gormless grin breaking out onto my face within about 5 seconds of playing this – light gun games, when done well, can be a lot of fun – provided you have a decent light gun. The Wiimote is, amongst other things, the best light gun EVER!!! So once you've done some pointing and clicking, the other games give you a hint of the controller's other awesome capabilities: click n drag, tilting, adjusting the distance to the TV, holding the remote sideways, using the nunchuk – if you buy Wii Play, you should certainly make it the first title you play, because it's a great tutorial and frankly, you probably won't play it much again.

At some point near lunchtime, my girlfriend (who had also taken the day off work) emerged from her slumber and poked her head round the door. For the purposes of this article, I'll call her "Helen". So it was time to break out Wii Sports and that other controller. She seemed a little frightened of the controller at first, so I made her an avatar while she dictated its "look", then we hit the tennis court. I immediately warmed to the Tennis control system – it seemed logical to me that you don't control the characters' running, and that you can only play doubles, but these seem to be the biggest gripes people have about the tennis game, which in my opinion is perhaps asking too much. I'm sure we'll see a "proper" Virtua Tennis style Wii tennis game one day, but on launch day? They want people to get used to the wiimote first. Not just dyed-in-the-wool gamers like us, but grannies and the like who haven't touched a console in years, perhaps never. I can wait a while for those people to catch up, because when they do, there will be even more developer interest in this machine than there is currently – and that will ultimately mean better games for all of us.

The missus didn't quite share my enthusiasm for Tennis, and I could see her beginning to get a bit bored, so – determined to convert her – I quickly suggested we tried another game. Bowling seemed like the obvious choice, because my ability to move vigorously was severely hampered by my aching guts (I was ill that day), and bowling seemed like the kind of sedate pace I needed. It didn't disappoint! I found Bowling to be one of the best minigames for gaining an understanding of the subtleties of the remote – the intricacies of spin, power and release combine to make every throw unique just like real bowling – but without the ignominy of having to wear dodgy-looking shoes that have been worn by about 5000 sweaty gentlemen since the last time they were cleaned.

untitledtm7.png

You'll never have to put yourself through this hell again……

Helen was much more into the bowling, and obviously the slower pace compared with Tennis allows you to get used to the control system without having to lose any chance of winning in the process. The first time you get a strike you will giggle like Gary Glitter at a PGL camp. After this I asked Helen if she wanted to test out Boxing for me. I think it's fair to say that Boxing brought out not only Helen's competitive side, but also a hitherto dormant propensity for extreme violence and intimidation. As soon as she'd finished the brief tutorial, she was flailing her arms like a woman possessed and screaming obscenities at her unfortunate CPU opponent, "Steve". After a vicious series of blows to the head, she floored him and began taunting the computer while still flailing her arms - "you'd better stay down Steve, if you know what's good for you, ya bastard". I can tell you that playing it is loads of fun, but possibly not quite as funny as watching someone else play it. You'd better forget the concept of dignity if you'd like to do well at Wii Boxing, that's all I'm saying… And people have pointed out that you wake up with sore arms the next day. To be honest, I'd rather gets sore arms like that than having to do 100 press-ups.

7wiisportskf5.jpg

Wii Tennis: finally, a new way to strengthen your arm!

By now it was mid-afternoon, and friends started to file into my house for a look and a try, so there was much playing of Wii Sports after this – bowling seems to have been the most popular sports game, but 4-player tennis, if you have the space for everyone to stand up, is a huge amount of fun. To be honest, I enjoy all of the Wii Sports games, even Golf and Baseball, which seem to have generated the most uncertainty from players so far. As the evening got under way, my friend (who had bought a Wii that morning, and had been playing it all day too) arrived, bringing Red Steel with him. I thought it was time to try the Shop channel again, and sure enough, this time it updated properly, and I could finally browse the shop. It's very easy to navigate, if slightly slow for those of us spoilt on high-speed broadband, and with a somewhat bland design, but generally I like the Shop interface a lot. Entering Wii Points is easy – but even more worryingly, you can enter your credit card details in a matter of seconds too, so you can buy Wii Points without even owning a Points card – this could be the beginning of the end for my finances.

Last edited:

PopMobile

Part 2

Since I got the Wii, the Virtual console titles I've bought are Ecco the Dolphin, Donkey Kong Country (which I highly recommend – Rare classic with graphics way beyond its time. Read about it), and the hectic but enjoyable Gunstar Heroes. All of them perfect ports of the originals, and playable without the Classic Controller (remember to check if a VC game requires the Classic). New VC games will be coming out every Friday for the next month – I'm currently waiting for R-Type, classic retro shooter and the theme tune alone makes it a must-have for any fan of oldskool drum and bass. I think it comes out on the last Friday of this month. The Virtual Console thing has been even better than I expected – the games are good value, and the downloads very quick. 1000 points (£7) gets you an N64 game, the most expensive option. Only Mario 64 is out so far from the 64 stable – but I already own that on two consoles (N64 and DS). Not many Turbo Grafx games yet, either. Please let them release Splatterhouse one day. Please.

snesdonkeykongcountryol8.jpg

Pre-rendered goodness: DK Country

As the evening got late, my friend and I were the last ones up, so we used the nighttime to give Zelda, Red Steel and COD 3 a going over. We probably played each game for at least an hour – I could not really do them justice here, I could write another 3000 words about each title, but time is short, so I'll just say this: Zelda is fucking amazing – considering it has a new control system, it feels….I dunno, more "Zelda-ish" than I was expecting. For me this is the sequel I've been waiting for ever since clocking The Ocarina of Time. I enjoyed some of the stuff in between ( Majora's Mask, Wind Waker, Four Swords) – but this is the first title since OOT which I personally think has lived up to that awesome, unforgettable game. I'm about 15 hours in so far, and loving it. This is the game that I want to play when there's nobody around for 2-player action. This is also the game that is going to keep me up way past my bedtime until I finish it. Red Steel: sooooooooo much better than I expected it to be – possibly the superior FPS when compared to COD 3 – a boatload of fun, and one that will also be responsible for a lot of sleepless nights. Control system can be frustrating, but nowhere near as much as something like XIII, and the bullet time, once introduced, actually feels useful rather than some hastily added feature dreamt up by somebody with no imagination and a penchant for The Matrix. Since that night, I haven't got a chance to play Red Steel again, but once I complete COD 3, I'll swap it and give the game some real attention. I'll repeat myself – it's a lot better than I expected, and I'm not sure why so many people have a problem with this game. No wonder it's selling so well in Japan. Call of Duty: 3 – again, I don't really understand why this has been so criticised. I've played a good way though COD 3 on the 360, so I feel I have some authority on the subject, and I was fully expecting the kind of sentiments in this review to be borne out by my experience of playing the game. In fact, I experienced the opposite effect: I found COD 3 to be a MORE immersive, MORE user-friendly and frankly MORE fun experience than playing the same game on the 360. Sure, the graphics aren't as good (but the difference isn't nearly as pronounced as I'd expected – and I play 360 on a HDTV) – but the extra level of immersion more than makes up for it. Seriously, I cannot understand why that reviewer thought the Wii version was the worst – I'm incredibly excited about the possibilities for FPS games on the Wii now, my mind is positively frothing at the possibilities.

OK, so that was my launch day experience – overwhelmingly positive. Now I've had over a week to try the more energetic games, and several other guests have been to my house and tried it out, I've had a chance to get to grips with what all of this means for Nintendo and gaming in general,

After seeing Helen's initial apprehension about the controller to create an avatar, I tried a different tack with new users: I simply handed them the remote, and told them very briefly what they needed to do. Obviously, all my gamer friends had no problem with this, but a few of the laydees were apprehensive at first, saying stuff like "oh, I couldn't do it, I've never played one of these in my life". Then, you watch as they realise that the wiimote is nothing to be afraid of, and in no time at all they are scrolling through pages of eyebrows, looking for the perfect one for their Mii. In fact, using the controller is one of the most user-friendly computing experiences I've ever had. The implications for gaming are, in my opinion, HUGE. Playing a FPS on the Wii made me certain that the other games companies will simply have no choice but to follow suit – PS3's laughable late addition of motion sensing tech doesn't seem so laughable to me now – it seems like a hasty addition by a company who can tell which way the wind's blowing. I'd even go further and say that the only way home computers, media centres and consoles will ever merge into the one catch-all set-top box (a scenario Microsoft has been gunning for ever since the first X-Box) is with the aid of something similar to the wiimote. I'm convinced it will be a big catalyst on the path to changing our perceptions of home computing – in the last week, I've seen a range of people aged from 6 to 60 playing the Wii – and they all get the hang of the controller within minutes or seconds. My view is that the Wii will ultimately change the way people interact with computers forever. It will take a while but those sales figures are encouraging – they've sold a quarter of the units sold by Microsoft, on a console which hasn't even been out for a month yet. I see the Wii having a similar success to the DS – several couples left my house last week with non-gamer girlfriends quietly asking their boyfriends "are you going to get one of those?" Which is exactly how the DS became so popular. As I always do, I'll point out that I'm not saying that girls don't play games, merely that it is slightly less likely for a girl to be a hardcore gamer than it would be for a guy. And specifically, most of my female friends simply aren't that interested in gaming. But they were very interested in my Wii.

On the subject of the merging of home computing and home games consoles, I'd point out that the Wii is going to force me to buy a new TV. Size definitely matters when you're playing split-screen tennis, or trying to read something on the Wii Shop. But once you have a decent sized screen, there isn't much reason why you can't then browse the internet from your armchair instead of sat at a desk. I wouldn't be surprised if a 3rd party firm released a wireless keyboard to make browsing easier, when the Opera browser eventually comes out (I hear it isn't going to be a free trial anymore ). Actually, that reminds me: if you don't download any of the firmware updates, you can hack into the Shop Channel and browse any webpage, but navigation is very limited, so I wouldn't bother, but if you're curious, there are many sites explaining how to do this, if you want to look for them.

I can't believe how much I've written, yet I still haven't mentioned all the cool things about the console. Sending messages to your friends is a blast – the "always-on" feature really comes into its own here – the disc slot gets a very cool blue illumination when you get a message, and making puzzles on the Photo Channel seems to be a lot fun for the young'uns.

Oh, and did you know that the Wii can also be an AVI or MOV player? I went fucking nuts when I found this out – the idea of owning a standalone that can play Quicktime or AVI movies has long appealed to me, and I had no clue that the Wii could do it. There are qualifications here – it can't just play any old AVI, it has to be in the larger, uncompressed formats (download a freeware called Wii Video 9 if you're not sure how to convert), and it can currently only play them off the SD card (so you're limited to the size of your card, and apparently movies over half an hour need to be played on an SD card with a good transfer rate) – but there are two USB slots on the back of the console, ostensibly for wired networking, but I think Nintendo would be crazy not to either release their own portable hard drive, or better yet another firmware update allowing you to use the slots to do something more interesting than charge your i-pod. I really hope the MOV-playing ability of the console isn't forgotten – it's a cool feature, and very unexpected from the notoriously closed-doors Big N. Seriously, I have no idea what some of the griping on other sites after the US launch was all about – I had some sky-high expectations of the Wii, and it has effortlessly sailed above those expectations, taking a brief moment to shit on my head for not thinking bigger…..

Last edited:

turtles

in the sea
just got sent this link of a 22 month old kid playing wii tennis. while it certainly doesn't do anything to dissuade people who think the wii is just for little kids, the fact that a kid that young can actually be pretty good at a video game is really quite impressive. I mean, the kid still hasn't completely mastered walking or talking yet...I think to design a game intuitive and simple enough that even a little baby can play (and enjoy!) it, while still being enjoyable by grown adults as well is way more of an accomplishment than any of these hyper-realistic first-person shooter games or such. Designing for simplicity is miles harder than just adding in more and more complexity, and I think that's what's made the wii such a success--they really got things simple, and right.