mix-type/multi-genre albums by single artist

redcrescent

Madonna's You can dance (1987) is a seamless mix album of Madonna remixes, and it still holds up quite well I find. The CD has 3 dub versions tagged on at the end which are worth a listen (a lot of 80s dance 12"s have great dub versions on the flipside, often so much better and more interesting sonically than the vocal side).
What's the Stephen Bray demos and the Early Years Madonna stuff with Otto von Wernherr like, I've heard individual tracks that sound at times like a hi-energy/white funk/rock hybrid with a very stoned producer at the controls (stay well clear of 90s remixes of this material, though, it's atrocious).

Incidentially, production/remix credits on You can dance include Nile Rodgers, 'Jellybean' Benitez and Reggie Lucas, who played a mean guitar on Miles' best mid-70s sides: Get up with it, the previously mentioned On the Corner, Dark Magus, Live at the Philharmonic Hall and the amazing Agartha/Pangaea. He had previously been an MFSB session player (for The Three Degrees, The Spinners and my favorites, the O'Jays) too, and later played on albums by Lonnie Liston Smith, Roberta Flack and sometime Miles associates Carlos Garnett, Mtume and Gary Bartz.

hamarplazt

100% No Soul Guaranteed
carlos said:
don't have much by him other than a speedfreak box set (pretty much all gabber/speedcore)
Yeah, that's 5 Years on Speed, the best way to get most of his early gabber stuff. Groundbreaking for 1992/93 when it was originally made.

I do, in all honesty, consider him the greatest living musician.

turtles

in the sea
Most of plastikman's (with a k!) albums are mixed together. Sheet One, Musik, and especially Consumed are all continuously segued and definitely built along the "journey" type structure of a mix. That journey being mostly of the "bad acid trip" type. Yay!

egg

Dumpy's Rusty Nut
hamarplazt said:
Come to think of it, on most of Martin Damm(Biochip C)s albums the tracks are mixed. Speed Freak albums like For You and Desruction by Speed, and Biochip albums like Breakdown and 2001, they all do it, more or less. But especially interesting in this context is probably the Steel album Audio Cynicism, containing dark ambient, different kinds of electro and big beat-ish things, some strange electronica, and techstep.
ta! that brings to mind air liquide - i loved their stuff up till they signed to harvest - and the blue label, and what i think is the most mental breakbeat acid i've ever heard - one of walker's sharktrax 12s with almost the whole of one side taken up with this monster tune - had the fools gold breakbeat - got picked up as one of the rising high rereleases. amazing.

Ned

Ruby Tuesday
Death in Vegas said in an interview they want their albums to sound like DJ mixes, and they do cross genres but mostly aren't seamlessly mixed. Also 'Out From Out Where' by Amon Tobin is continuous.

hamarplazt

100% No Soul Guaranteed
egg said:
ta! that brings to mind air liquide - i loved their stuff up till they signed to harvest - and the blue label, and what i think is the most mental breakbeat acid i've ever heard - one of walker's sharktrax 12s with almost the whole of one side taken up with this monster tune - had the fools gold breakbeat - got picked up as one of the rising high rereleases. amazing.

Hmm, did harvest do much more than rerelease old Air Liquide stuff? I have completely lost track of them recently, but I too used to love their early work. Would really like to hear that shark track you're talking about, I've only got Shark trax vol.2 and I'm not really exited by it. Damm, as Biochip C as well as Phase IV and Headware and Psychic Parasite and Biobreaks, have made tons of mental breakbeat/acid-stuff, but as far as I remember, the Air Liquide guys didn't use breakbeats very often.

egg

Dumpy's Rusty Nut
hamarplazt said:
Hmm, did harvest do much more than rerelease old Air Liquide stuff? I have completely lost track of them recently, but I too used to love their early work. Would really like to hear that shark track you're talking about, I've only got Shark trax vol.2 and I'm not really exited by it. Damm, as Biochip C as well as Phase IV and Headware and Psychic Parasite and Biobreaks, have made tons of mental breakbeat/acid-stuff, but as far as I remember, the Air Liquide guys didn't use breakbeats very often.
oh man - they really got funky on yo ass from time to time. i sold all my vinyl to buy my studio but i have a couple of cds somewhere i'll have a look see what i can find. i remember when the second album came into selectadisc in nottingham where i was living at the time - beautiful, limited edition of 500 clear vinyl with a 7" - and fergus was raving 'yeah air liquide have gone all trip hop'!! (it was the track where they used the dj muggs beat); if i remember right there are breakbeats on the RSN live from new york 12 as well; and on the harvest stuff, which i thought did contain some new material alongside old stuff. didn't they get contracted for 5 double albums or something?

sharktrax is lost to me.... but a search reveals that mental breakbeat track to be on sharktrax vol 1. clocks in well over 10 minutes, total brainnumbing magic. but the original release on... damn what was the label - oh yeah djungle fever! was the shit.

Here we go, the RSN release is clocked here, under original djungle fever release i loved so much - the track is listed as shark v on RSN and no title on djungle fever.