Clothes

zhao

there are no accidents
will 2008 be the year i start rocking the shorts/tights/boots combo?!?!

just to see if it would work on me :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
ha-1.jpg

stelfox

Beast of Burden
i went to the Marc jacobs shop in new york when i was on holiday there last week, thinking that because of the weak dollar there might be something which i could vaguely afford, but it was so expensive that each glance at a price tag was like a punch in the kidneys: £150 for a plain white t-shirt.

there are tons of places where you can get killer cheap stuff in the states, though, new york especially. i get most of my clothes in the US for next to nothing, then spend hideous amounts of money on a few things here. my favourite shop in london in uniqlo, though. great japanese jeans for £25 a pair and really good knits. team one or the other with something from somewhere else and you're generally onto a good look. I'm wearing uniqlo indigo jeans today, with a plain white hanes t-shirt and these, my fave new buy...

adidas-zx-700-boat-2.jpg

Last edited:

UFO over easy

online mahjong
Nice to see someone else converting the value of everything into records. I would see an ad for a car on tv think 'that's like 1000 records!'

if you could pay for bulk buys of records in "12 easy, interest free monthly installments", I would definitely do it :D

N

nomadologist

i went to the Marc jacobs shop in new york when i was on holiday there last week, thinking that because of the weak dollar there might be something which i could vaguely afford, but it was so expensive that each glance at a price tag was like a punch in the kidneys: £150 for a plain white t-shirt.

I have a Marc Jacobs problem. It's almost as expensive as my drug problems. Everytime I'm in the SoHo Marc Jacobs I see Naomi Campbell and all sorts of celebrities which makes me really self-conscious about buying anything.

Haven't seen his fall 08 stuff and I probably shouldn't let myself walk into the store.

N

nomadologist

if you could pay for bulk buys of records in "12 easy, interest free monthly installments", I would definitely do it :D

You can! Just apply for a line of credit...you could probably get $5,000-$10,000 balance depending on your credit history :)

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Love stelfox' new shoes! Must check out uniqlo.

Next can be good. The non-iron formal shirts are fine.

70 quid for a shirt is a LOT!

Got a really nice slim fit fleece by berghaus today, gonna wear it to death.

DannyL

Wild Horses
70 quid for a shirt is a LOT!

It is a lot. It's a real lot. (But nonetheless, thanks for the tip and I am now going to go to that shop). But I still wouldn't mind paying it - when I can afford it - as most British menswear is so horrible (see comments on Next above). Cheap decent menswear is hard to come by in the UK, in a way that womenswear isn't. Maybe this reflects the way a lot of guys in the UK are slobs and disinterested in fashion and settle for the rubbish Next option.

And £70 is still cheaper than the £99 Paul Smith charges....

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
What Paul Smith stuff do you like Danny? I have a very nice black 2 button dual vented bum freezer suit which I love but a lot of their suits are too long i the coat. And I'm not really turned on by the jeans, thought I might take another look.

fcuk have some good bits right now - jeans, light jackets, linen stuff.

How well does the uniqlo stuff wear? It's ridiculously, almost off-puttingly, cheap. I fancy a couple of pairs of jeans / trousers, a white hoodie, a red cshmere jumper and maybe a light jacket. But not all at once.

I agree that next casualwear is pretty naff but there's some good formal stuff. Gap still does some surprisingly nice trousers too.

how well does

stelfox

Beast of Burden
What Paul Smith stuff do you like Danny? I have a very nice black 2 button dual vented bum freezer suit which I love but a lot of their suits are too long i the coat. And I'm not really turned on by the jeans, thought I might take another look.

fcuk have some good bits right now - jeans, light jackets, linen stuff.

How well does the uniqlo stuff wear? It's ridiculously, almost off-puttingly, cheap. I fancy a couple of pairs of jeans / trousers, a white hoodie, a red cshmere jumper and maybe a light jacket. But not all at once.

I agree that next casualwear is pretty naff but there's some good formal stuff. Gap still does some surprisingly nice trousers too.

how well does

it generally wears very well. the sweats, you should buy oversized because they shrink a little in the wash. re the "boring H&M" point, i don't really agrree. it's just pretty decent, simply designed clothing, whereas H&M is cheap hideous shite

S

simon silverdollar

And £70 is still cheaper than the £99 Paul Smith charges....

have you been to the Paul Smith sale shop, on Avery Row (just south of Picadilly Arcade- Bond Street tube) ?

it tends to be half price or less, so it's still not cheap, but it's good for the occasional treat.

S

simon silverdollar

I have a Marc Jacobs problem. It's almost as expensive as my drug problems. Everytime I'm in the SoHo Marc Jacobs I see Naomi Campbell and all sorts of celebrities which makes me really self-conscious about buying anything.

Haven't seen his fall 08 stuff and I probably shouldn't let myself walk into the store.

my girlfriend's got a Marc Jacobs dress and she looks astonishing in it; obviously i think she looks pretty amazing the rest of the time too, but that dress is a whole other league. the guy is some kind of magician.

S

simon silverdollar

h&m and american apparel have kitted out an entire generation seemingly.. fairly grim

i do like american apparel t-shirts though; they're the only ones i've found that don't stretch and shrink in weird ways no matter how long you have them.

UFO over easy

online mahjong
I rate the plain gap t-shirts for 6 quid. they're comfortable, not ridiculously thin and withstand excessive washing. the arms are more than 2 inches as well which is a bonus in this day and age

american apparel plain hoodies are decent but made for people with gorilla arms. they always fit perfectly apart from the arms which go down to my knees