Clothes

benjybars

village elder.
but I can assure you that it met with much approval with the laydeez. Worked a treat actually, a great conversation starter, with girls often stealing it for themselves to wear while you dance together.

yes! when you've got no good opening lines a nice brown trilby really comes into its own!!

STN

sou'wester
Unfortunately, I don't think I've got any photographic evidence of my trilby wearing antics, but I can assure you that it met with much approval with the laydeez. Worked a treat actually, a great conversation starter, with girls often stealing it for themselves to wear while you dance together.
QUOTE]

Yes, I recall this from my own trilby wearing days - as well as stealing it for general pratting about, women would ask to borrow it to fix their hair. I've no idea why wearing a trilby helps with hairstyling - can any female/longhaired dissensians shed any light on this one?
I seem to remember an orderly queue at one point and, as I'm not the Fonz, women rarely queue up for me...

tatarsky

Been a big fan of particular brands of grampa cardies for a while.

I've been considering picking one of these up. Any recommendations? Brands? Stores? I have an image of my own grampa in my head, in simple grey trousers, white shirt, and comfy cardy, standing in his orchard (which incidendantly has been appropiated by property developers since his passing - is nothing sacred?). With my physique increasingly reassembling his (tallish, lanky - rather than my father's squat podginess), and feel compelled to try out some of his stylings, for whatever reason.

tatarsky

Yes, I recall this from my own trilby wearing days - as well as stealing it for general pratting about, women would ask to borrow it to fix their hair. I've no idea why wearing a trilby helps with hairstyling - can any female/longhaired dissensians shed any light on this one?
I seem to remember an orderly queue at one point and, as I'm not the Fonz, women rarely queue up for me...

The annoying part comes when BLOKES try and steal it. I'm normally a pretty placid sort, but attempted trilby thefts are not to be tolerated, and WILL be met with threats of violence.

nomos

Administrator
jenks said:
Surely it's not just about clothes but poise.
yes! though i'm a bit awkward so clothes need to do the talking sometimes

craner said:
Make sure the duffel coat's a Gloverall, though.
gloverall's are fantastic but they're heavy as the sheep they came from . i've been looking for one of those new-style ones made of spaceage mountain climber material. some of them look good.

i've been feeling more and more clueless recently and having just passed into the 30s i'm feeling like i'd better get something sorted out quickly. i do alright covering my torso i think. but i've been frustrated by this recent trend toward shorter shirts that open the waist to scrutiny when the arms arms are lifted. still i can usually find shirts and sweaters i like. this is a staple (sans tie)...

herr4.jpg

slim semi-dress shirts are big, as are those high-neck zip up sweaters (in the shape of the adidas ones but without all the graphics). what i don't understand though is this business of printing all sorts of garbled nonsense on tops. it's like the starbucks-and-electroclash addled brains of recently hip graphic designers have been vomiting on fabric and making a living off of it.

personally, though, my big problem area is pants. i haven't got a clue and i don't like most of what i find. skinny pants don't work on me. i might be too skinny to begin with. but i also acquired a good portion of my hard-coded fashion sense along with hip hop going on 20 years ago now. i'm more given to wider pants (thank you to the 20 year old shop attendant who informed me that "the styles are different now.")

i'm constantly envying the selection women have.

Last edited:

nomos

Administrator
the last few years i've relied on club monaco to keep me looking like i have some clue, above the waist at least (i always find their pants too skinny). but this season the selection is terrible, not only because it's all grey, cream and black...

exhibit a
features cargo pants (particularly heavy ones that snag on things) and a sports jacket layered over half-zip hoodie and dress shirt with tie. right.

clubm2.jpg

exhibit b
features sports jacket over sweater with scarfe tucked in and mushed together with an open dress shirt. but the real crowning achievement of this outfit is matching all of that mess at the top with the simple charm of 12-year old boy-style sweat pants. absolutely brilliant.

clubm1.jpg

nomos

Administrator
the little red book

manifesto.gif

anarcho-dandyism. if not now, when?

By turning ancient rituals of courtesy and dress into revolutionary acts, the immaculately attired Anarcho-Dandyist can use the razor-sharp crease in his trousers to press home his advantage. Once presented with the dazzling sight of rakishly angled trilbies, gleaming brogues and exquisitely mixed dry martinis, hoi polloi's long-cherished nylon sportswear and strawberry milkshakes will suddenly lose their appeal.

Last edited:

don_quixote

Trent End
i'm constantly envying the selection women have.

oh yeah. most certainly. men's clothes selections just remind me how much i hate the male stereotype.

also i wish i could modify so much stuff, there's so many fucking logos on these things, and tags and ugly slogans. but it's not only that; it's pockets in ridiculous places and it doesnt help that i'm tall and skinny so it's so hard to get sleeves that i need to roll up or find trousers that reach all the way down.

hmmm

DJ PIMP

Cardies - I'm in NZ and go for second-hand brands of yesteryear.

I've always loved Dad fashion. As a kid it was a window to a world of maturity and quiet manlyness, understated everyday sophistication and attention to detail (my Dad was an avid gardener and fanatical about will-trimmed nails).

Amongst some trendsetters in Wellington its been a wee bit fashionable to go lawn bowling - a thoroughly enjoyable past-time. I was enviously watching the codgers play croquet last weekend... always wanted to give that a go. Getting to hobnob with the grey hairs would be a bonus; the elderly often seem tragically segregated nowadays.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
I've always been a big fan of those bikers you see at the back of important gigs, still wearing jeans and t-shirts at 50 and still going to gigs if they think the band might be worth seeing. I think on both men and women the biker look if well worn is beautiful, sexy, rugged and timeless.

O

Omaar

Cardies - I'm in NZ and go for second-hand brands of yesteryear.

Cardigans have been my fashion highlight for 2006. They haven't been so popular since grunge's heyday, have they?

I don't think dress shirts should ever be worn under hoodies.

Liberty have some amazing menswear, I couldn't even afford a t-shirt there but it's still nice having a browse. They have a nice selection of stock collected from various labels under one roof.

My Gloverall's toggles have all fallen off - can anyone recommend a good tailor in London who could sort this kind of thing?

Guybrush

Dittohead
I don't think dress shirts should ever be worn under hoodies.
I agree, it's ugly as sin.

how do people feel about hats?
I love hats and can't wait for a new hat-era. I have one now that I inherited from my mother's step-father (i.e. it's from the 50s I think), it's mighty fine but unfortunately I either look dandy or Corleoneish in it (not that I care, it's just hard to find suitable situations to use it in).

S

simon silverdollar

i have a farmer's type tweed hat, with a a feather in it and every thing. my girlfriend refuses to let me wear this, on the grounds that in london i'd just look like a hoxton wanker. she's right of course, but it really riles me that the hoxton prick set have ruined things so much. in the country, where my parents live and where i grew up and where people have, blessedly, never heard of hoxton, the hat gets a lot of wear, though.

STN

sou'wester
I don't think you should allow tossers to dictate what you do and don't wear, simply because you (understandably) don't want to be identified with them. Wear your feathered hat with pride and Hoxton be damned.

My dad has a denim trilby with a white hat band. In the 80s he sported it with shorts, sandles, a canary yellow t-shirt, a big beard and mirrorshades. He looked a complete fool but in a cool kind of way. To be fair, I think he only went for that look on holiday. The denim trilby hasn't had an outing for a while, more's the pity.

O

Omaar

Bates Hats

I walk past this gentlemen's hatters, on Jermyn St ("Edward Bates Ltd have supplied stylish hats and caps to discerning gentlemen from their enchanting Jermyn Street shop in London since the turn of the century") everyday on my way home. I've never looked inside, but I'm about to pop in and have a look during my afternoon tea break. Hopefully I'll catch a glimpse of Binks "Preserved in a glass case, the tabby cat that was a well known
character in the shop between 1921 and 1926." Actually I'm not even interested in seeing the hast anymore. Although the dorset with the red feather looks rather fine:

http://www.bates-hats.co.uk/tweed_hats.html

STN

sou'wester
Wow. Those are some fine hats. Let us know what the shop's like...

Didn't Kangol used to be an similarly respectable 1920s gents' hat brand before being appropriated and made cool by b-boys and whoever else in the 1970s?

john eden

male pale and stale
Wow. Those are some fine hats. Let us know what the shop's like...

Didn't Kangol used to be an similarly respectable 1920s gents' hat brand before being appropriated and made cool by b-boys and whoever else in the 1970s?

I think that's right - you occasionally see old white geezers wearing the more "flat cap" style kangols. You might also be interested to know that the old Vortex on Stoke Newington church street was previously a kangol factory, if memory serves!