Clothes

luka

uniqlo is big, was in japan the other day and stocked up on some things. muji too but its a lot more expensive.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
uniqlo is big, was in japan the other day and stocked up on some things. muji too but its a lot more expensive.

Over here it's not too much difference with shirts - 20 quid as opposed to 22 for Muji. I'm a bit wary of alot of the overly cheap sweatshop stuff tho. Charity shops all the way for shirts actually.

mistersloane

The Garbstore

http://www.couvertureandthegarbstore.com/Shop-Online/Mens/#/latest_stock/shirts

has some great shirts and T-shirts and jackets and everything for anyone who's really rich, or feeling really rich. I went on a pilgrimage to their shop in bloody Notting Hill the other day just to stroke the clothes. It was being staffed/run by two impeccably, impeccably dressed Japanese guys who were having a conversation about totally obscure jazz, and it fulfilled my need to ever see that side of culture again for about another year.

But it was a lovely twenty minutes.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Actually, I ended up deciding that the office was casual enough that I don't really need shirts, even, and did a quick round of Cambridge's mid-level high street fashion places - Reiss, Dogfish, Super Dry, All Saints, that sort of place. Finally grokked the point of sale shopping, as well... all these places seem to do genuinely nicer stuff than the tier below, but normally for slightly more than I can justify spending.

Might hit up uniqlo or somewhere for some plain T-shirts, though.

grizzleb

Want to get some shirts with floral patterns on them, fed up with the check business. Kind of like this type of thing:

FYUL6MI-01.jpg

Would look good with a nice jumper.

That's off hanon for 100 bangers though...sack that. Surely you must be able to get cheap shirts with naff patterns like that on it. I'm going to hit up some charity shops I reckon.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Uniqlo long sleeved crew neck t-shirts have removed an incredible amount of faff (and expense) from my clothes buying. Simple style, look good, neutral without being boring, fit me well, cost under a tenner, job done and head off to Berwick Street with the money I've saved.

DannyL

Wild Horses
Dissensus, talk to me about trousers. Where can I get some decent fucking trousers? That a) fit my long legs and b) aren't gougingly expensive?

BTW I have to recommend ebay if you know your sizes in certain staples. My last two pairs of jeans - Carhartt - have been £50 cheaper than the shop. Same for trainers if you know your size. BUT I am bored with jeans and appreciate the idea that you should drop 'em from your wardrobe as you get older.

Ulala

Awkward Woodward
Dissensus, talk to me about trousers. Where can I get some decent fucking trousers? That a) fit my long legs and b) aren't gougingly expensive?

BTW I have to recommend ebay if you know your sizes in certain staples. My last two pairs of jeans - Carhartt - have been £50 cheaper than the shop. Same for trainers if you know your size. BUT I am bored with jeans and appreciate the idea that you should drop 'em from your wardrobe as you get older.

As with ebay, if you know your size then TK Maxx throws up some ridiculous bargains. I know it's a chore and a mission to trawl through everything but you will invariably find something decent, and they do have a lot of stuff in different leg lengths too. (This may well have been discussed upthread, but 69 pages? Blech.)

Trousers is a particular TKM forte - most of their t-shirts/jumpers seem to be garish and gaudy and covered in logos, but trousers tend to be more discreetly branded so it's well worth a look. Since you're in London, I'd try the one on Gracechurch Street, as it seems to err towards smart/formal stuff due to being in the City, and so the more casual stuff hangs around for longer. (There's an enormous one in Lower Clapton, too.) I've picked up Maharishi in TK Maxx before now, and there's often Levis, Carhartt, Lindbergh, etc to be had.

I used to work with a guy who refused to wear jeans and swore by Farah for trousers, might be worth checking them out.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Trousers that aren't jeans seem to be a total minefield tbh. Apart from stuff like trackies and combats, you've basically got chinos, cords, and suit trousers as pretty much the only well defined points and everything else is open ended and amorphous and changes from season to season, so it's hard to pick something reliable and keep going with it and it takes constant effort to stay on top of what you actually want to wear. Hence I tend to stick with jeans, but wear reasonably smart neutral ones.

DannyL

Wild Horses
Farahs! I haven't worn them since my schooldays - an eighties casual classic. I remember the really cool kids rocking some banana yellow ones. I will check 'em out and try TK Maxx too.
Slothrop - I thought that might be the case but it kinda makes the effort worthwhile I'm hoping. Part of this.is.coming from wanting tp not look like a total slob all the time so that should require a time investment.
Any more tips?

Leo

i go with a few pairs of cords in fall/winter, although many of them are essentially jeans (same cut, different material).

might want to try zara. picked up some nice simple straight-leg lightweight cotton trousers in blue and brown there a couple of years ago, perfect for warm summer days when denim is too heavy. again, the cut is similar to a pair of jeans, so not formal dressy trousers but still fine for any occasion. not sure if their fall/winter collection is any good.

and yeah, uniqlo is worth a look. lots of their stuff is too young for me but have picked up some decent basics.

Client Eastwood

Trousers are a nightmare for me. 34 waist (for a comfortable arse and thigh fit . But I can get in to 32 on the waist) and 30 leg are hard to find. Limits me to Gap, M&S and Next. Which are all a bit naff for trousers.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
My approach to not looking like a total slob (which I think I just about manage most of the time) is basically to avoid short sleeved T-shirts and wear polo necks, long sleeved T-shirts or actual shirts instead. For trousers I just wear fairly straight cut dark blue jeans.

When I wore smart casual for work, I generally used to get vaguely chino-related things from Banana Republic.

Client Eastwood

Farahs! I haven't worn them since my schooldays - an eighties casual classic. I remember the really cool kids rocking some banana yellow ones. I will check 'em out and try TK Maxx too.

LOL. Farahs, didn't even know they were still going. The two tone one's were big in the 80's with a button down collar shirt.

Client Eastwood

What about black denim? All my jeans are and have been dark blue to allow for natural fade, but am thinking about some black ones. Will they age well without looking like a rocker/goth ?

mistersloane

Re : trousers, it's still the summer sales, Garbstore is you :

http://www.couvertureandthegarbstore.com/Shop-Online/Mens/#/mens_summer_sale/trousers

plus there's loads of discount stores round Spitalfields area that I've noticed but haven't trawled around.

But good luck, I'm useless with trousers.

And, with regard to Farahs, unless you're a really beautiful casual kid, say 15-18 - with a diamond earring and bleach blonde highlights, don't kid yourself. You can't pull it off.