the dark side of alt country

henry s

Street Fighting Man
anybody here remember Gibson Bros.?...they were doing the alt.country thing in the mid/late 80's...(current alt.country folks Blanche sound a bit like them)...I had only one LP of theirs, Dedicated Fool, which was swiped from my car in NYC, and I've not been able to track down a copy since...(it never got a proper CD release)...they were on the Homestead label, which was a real progenitor of the dark country thing, seems to me...

i love 'axxess & ace' as well; the whole disc makes it molina's best if only for "captain badass." also worth mentioning is "the lioness" which was recorded in glasgow with arab strap - can't get any darker than that i suppose. :) and nina nastasia's "run to ruin" is a tweaked-out slice of dark americana; also 16 horsepower "sackcloth 'n' ashes" (the snare drums sound great) and johnny dowd's early 90s band neon baptist are worth a listen as well.

P

Parson

16hp also recorded some nice instrumental stuff without david eugene edwards under the name lilium

michael

Bring out the vacuum
i love 'axxess & ace' as well; the whole disc makes it molina's best if only for "captain badass." also worth mentioning is "the lioness" which was recorded in glasgow with arab strap - can't get any darker than that i suppose. :)
The Lioness is the one Molina-related song I really like. Downloaded it from epitonic.com years back and still find it really grabbing, but have never heard anything else by him I particularly cared about. I like some of it, but have never felt compelled to buy anything I've listened to.

Captain Badass is on epitonic too, but I didn't like that one.

I also like Iron & Wine, but don't find the music dark or country... bit of a guilty pleasure for me, but I totally buy into what he's pushing. Don't really enjoy any of his more electric things.

P

Parson

iron and wine is more folky than country but certainly related

if you think its not dark you should pay closer attention because its all about death and sorrow and such

even the name iron and wine is a reference to guns and booze

the creek drank the cradle, c'mon

our endless numbered days

one of us will die inside these arms

STN

sou'wester
Do Giant Sand merit mention here? Rainer's 'Live at the Performance Centre' is one of my favourite albums ever...

Also, anyone heard Cast King? - not striving to be especially dark, just playing in the country tradition of singing about unemployment, alcoholism, murder and divorce. In fact the LP 'Saw Mill Man' is a bit irritating because he seems to have sat down and said 'okay divorce - check, song about my devotion to wine even though it's killing me - check, reference to being alone in cheap hotel - check' I let him off because he's around 900 years old (he did some songs for Sun in the 50s then vanished) and on the whole it's a pretty good album.

michael

Bring out the vacuum
iron and wine is more folky than country but certainly related

if you think its not dark you should pay closer attention because its all about death and sorrow and such

even the name iron and wine is a reference to guns and booze

the creek drank the cradle, c'mon

our endless numbered days

one of us will die inside these arms
Actually, I was thinking about Endless Numbered Days when I posted before, just thinking it was sad but also quite beautiful. Like it's a really nice love song, eh?

I guess I think of "dark" as like full of dread or menace or whatever, but yeah, sure, it's often quite unhappy music.