Rock 'n' roll: more harm than good?

N

nomadologist

i don't know what all the hostility is for I'd say the advent of rock n roll could very likely have been a black day for (western) artistic creativity.
This idea that progressive developments in politics etc are in any way linked to rock n roll is dubious to say the least.
Modern classical music, modern jazz, other black music etc were progressing completely independently from rock music and were undeniably linked with figures involved in progressive thought.
Many of the developments which have been used as evidence by apologists for rock eg civil rights, sexual liberation, legal system changes were all well underway by the mid-fifties and even if we're talking of late 60s when rock was supposed to be at its most powerful the vast majority of changes (especially when it comes to getting them on the statute books) were led by figures who were in no way part of any rock n roll generation.

That's not to say I don't appreciate the occasional rock track usually from the period when it was actually relevant (1965-72?) just think what really interesting other alternative scenarios were we denied by the monster that rock n roll became...

maybe you don't read a lot of threads, but i wouldn't say it's "hostility", it's exasperation here, it may have escaped your notice, but some people here constantly post the same musical apocalyptic hand-wringing type of comments so often on dissensus. after a while it gets frustrating to read.

Reading through much of this thread, it would appear that whatever else political correctness may have achieved, it has certainly managed to turn Rock n Roll into the South Africa of musical genres.

Last edited:

swears

preppy-kei
I have to admit this was pretty shameless trolling on my part, baiting for a reaction. It's not an uninteresting idea at heart though, someone more academic than me could probably find a nice little thesis in there somewhere.

Last edited:

rubberdingyrapids

i was going to write a post like this about hip hop (what is it good for?) but then i saw this one.
maybe all popular genres are ultimately doomed to be pointless/ineffectual. if they were about something that didnt reflect the wider culture, they probably wouldnt be all that popular.
main diff between rap and rock would prob be that rock presents mainly rebellion against middle class values of consumerism, established order, rap presents a rebellion against working class status quo, via consumerism, and simply by default of it being made by working class black artists (or middle class black artists aligned with it), rather than the actual content, while actually simply reinforcing the basest, stupidest parts of the wider culture, along the way.

Last edited:

woops

is not like other people
did you dig this up to show the new recruits what the "old" dissensus was like, it was like this all the time.

so many forgotten posters

luka

When I find these things it's just by looking at what guests are looking at. There's always some random stuff. I don't remember this actually. I don't particularly like it albeit there's some good moments. Not my favourite dissensus era.