rewch

jenks said:
on from the czech rum (which i would heartily recommend - best drunk in a shack in moravia) is some stuff i drunk with a gang of people who lived right on the czech/polish border - they had their own language - ponashimu which was a real hybrid of various linguistic remnants - anyway they drank this stuff called lih - they put equal measures of water, lih and sugar in a saucepan and gently heated so that it was warm - it was all highly ritualised and had to be downed in one (as all these things usually do) - the problem came after 4 of these as the floor moved away from beneath my feet. when i asked for a translation of lih i was told spirit - what spirit i replied - just spirit - i wonder if what i had been drinking was white spirit's wicked cousin?!?

sounds like ethanol to me... toxic unless diluted

Pearsall said:
I had some once and it went down easily enough (for being about the same consistency as rubbing alcohol) but for about a half hour after I stopped drinking it my mouth tasted like a hospital. Horrible stuff.

reminds me of a friend of mine who was given eau de cologne by some russian friends (they drank it too)
& said that not only did it make him very sick but his mouth & digestive system smelt like the proverbial french brothel... the eau de cologne wasn't very strong in alcoholic terms though

Pearsall

Prodigal Son
rewch said:
reminds me of a friend of mine who was given eau de cologne by some russian friends (they drank it too)
& said that not only did it make him very sick but his mouth & digestive system smelt like the proverbial french brothel... the eau de cologne wasn't very strong in alcoholic terms though

brando_apoc2.jpg

the horror, the horror

redcrescent

rewch said:
never had this, but weighs in at 80%: Original Stroh 80
Dire stuff indeed, trust me. It's barely drinkable -cloying, icky sweet, synthetic-tasting and fucking strong, obv.- unless you're very desperate. It is used more for baking and pastry-making than outright drinking, though some dives will serve it with over some warm Coke as a 'cola rum'. Yuk.

luka

i just spent the entire weekend drinking beer, spent over a hundred quid and a lot of hours so i can no say with assurance and confidence, i don't like beer and i don't like being drunk on beer and i don't like myself on beer. beer is shit. but i blacked out on brandy last week so i think abstinence (not absinthe) is the way foward. yeah. pure and wholesome. i'm going to walk along the sewer banks to beckton and scale beckton alp and celebrate with a cheese sandwich, with pickle in it. then i'lll come down and treat ymself to a nice cup of tea.

fldsfslmn

excremental futurism
I have a bad cold, so my lovely English Bay Pale Ale (by the aforementioned folks at Granville Island Brewing) has been rendered tasteless. I blow my nose, sip the beer, blow my nose, sip the beer, but it's all so pointless. I'd forgotten how integral the scent component is...

BTW for Canadian beer enthusiasts, this is at the top of my table for western-Canadian IPAs. Everything about it screams quality and attention to detail.

Delicious!

And I recently discovered that my favourite bar is now serviced by Alley Kat (I haven't been going out much, so it may have been this way for weeks/months). That's quite a coup for the Alley Kat folks -- the crowd can be fairly discerning at this place (on nights when it's not full of the spillover from suburban hardcore shows at the adjoining venue). I had a pint of Charlie Flint's Original Lager when I was there last. It was the most sophisticated lager I've ever had, but there may have been something wrong with the carbonation (that's just how unusual it was).

luka

heh, yeah something along them lines scottie
at one place i was at
£7 ofr three cans of kronenburg

luka

and theres some shithole on brick lane where they charge £3 for one can of red stripe.

turtles

in the sea
fldsfslmn said:
I have a bad cold, so my lovely English Bay Pale Ale (by the aforementioned folks at Granville Island Brewing) has been rendered tasteless. I blow my nose, sip the beer, blow my nose, sip the beer, but it's all so pointless. I'd forgotten how integral the scent component is...

BTW for Canadian beer enthusiasts, this is at the top of my table for western-Canadian IPAs. Everything about it screams quality and attention to detail.

Delicious!
Oh man, the "taster round" at the granville island brewery is fucking tops. 4 different beers for $5 or $6 (small beers though). A fine way to spend an afternoon. I've said it before, but if you see their Heiffewiezen buy that shit pronto (they only make it seasonally unfortunately). Mmmmm :D

rewch

just back from the us... had some shiner bock which was rather good... had some georgia ale which was horribly sweet & rather nasty (can't remember the exact name)... but sadly didn't have enough time to do any real research...

nochexxx

harco pronting
luka said:
i've been getting evangelical about lambic beer. try that, its good.

keep it real, stick with the belgiums. duvel, orval and if your really lucky westvleteren. :cool:

also with these beers, you won't get so much of a beating head kind of a hangover but more of a feeling dozy style hangover

http://ascoltare.blogspot.com/

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
luka said:
and theres some shithole on brick lane where they charge £3 for one can of red stripe.

There's one place I know like that round my way too. But they do serve rather good drugs over the counter too. It softens the blow.

Good to see the love for Belgian beer on here. Anyone else a fan of Delirium Tremens - the best drunk feeling I've ever had, really strong and floaty?

Also, you Belgian beer fans should check out a good brand of gueuze if you're ever out shopping in France/Belgium.

nochexxx

harco pronting
baboon2004 said:
There's one place I know like that round my way too. But they do serve rather good drugs over the counter too. It softens the blow.

Good to see the love for Belgian beer on here. Anyone else a fan of Delirium Tremens - the best drunk feeling I've ever had, really strong and floaty?

Also, you Belgian beer fans should check out a good brand of gueuze if you're ever out shopping in France/Belgium.

i love the graph on delirium tremens http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delirium_Tremens_(beer)

haven't had a gueuze yet, but it has been recomended to me before.

recently i've discovered saison dupont.
http://www.beerpal.com/Saison-Dupont-Beer/673/

luka

delirium tremens is great but i reckon lucifer is even more warm and fuzzy. that feels lovely to drink.