The Dogzilla/Doogz Confusion Thread.

mpc

wasteman
i used to cringe at dogzilla on rinse. way too much information! never really liked him that much but i've heard some good stuff from him recently.

obviously kano is the only person in grime who's got a chance of crossing over to mainstream.

i remember i read on teletext (i know...i know....shoot me....) at the end of 2003, a 'tips for 04' thing and they said 'doogz' was gonna be massive...(i'm guessing dizzee mentioned him in an interview, so they just blindly went along with that info)

apparantly doogz is going along the hip hop/"bashment" route. nevermind.

C

captain easychord

Logan Sama said:
Wiley's dub on Pulse Y for heartless crew was big using those bars.

Dogzilla and Syer are both big MCs who just have to find their niche and make that one hit track to get them on their way. They've been vocalling beats tirelessly though, their dj gives me a new tune from them nearly every week.

In terms of MCs who will put together good albums in 2005.

Ears will do. Breeze and Trim will do. Godsgift will do. Crazy Titch will do given the right producers and direction. And Riko has started to already.

oh man definitely forgot about ears. big tingz from that cat this year for sure.

originaldrum

from start till done
yeah i never got that mixing up doogz with dogzilla thing ,

listening to s.t.d's and then back to school there can be no mistaking.

as for the riko thing, he is quite presentable onstage/on film, but this is precisely where i almost cringe when i see him, on mic or radio he is top notch but when his presence is in front of you i get turned off him (petty reason for concern i know)

hurry up with the album doogz!

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
So what's the Dogzilla track that goes "who the f_ck wanna f_ck with me, who the f_ck wanna f_ck with me, who the f_ck wanna war with me, who the f_ck wanna war with me". Perhaps that could be a breakthough, that's mighty- the verse is so different, lots of stuff about being on the dole with no money. And about selling next to no tunes, kinda of a recurrent grime theme.

Woebot

Diggedy Derek said:
Whenever you see Riko on a DVD his physical presence is amazing (and he's not a giant or anything is he, just a big ish bloke). On Practice Hours, pointing and posing is just a pure extension of what he's saying, like he was born to rhyme and rock it. On Aim High 2 at Rhythm Divison, many of them rhyme next to the camera, but he moves towards the windows as if he's confronting the world.

More than any other MC, you can tell he means it maaaaaaan.

yeah hes fucking AWESOME on the DVD. just read this deek. see my comments on the aim high thread.

Woebot

bun-u said:
woebot, I think you are talking about 2 mcs - there's durty dogz of boyz in the hood with titch - presents the load of the deck dvd and video, brilliant patois flow ...says 'they don't know' alot (stolen from elephant man surley?), then then there's dogzilla, beefy white guy, used to be involved in pay as you go (he on a sidewinder dvd onstage with dizzee and wiley in 2002), I forget who he rolls with now, but the 'neverending' track is him. Both are good but very different. dogz was quiet in 04, but he was signed and I've heard load of good stuff being rinsed on the pirates.

And speaking of being involved in the scene, (shameless bragging coming up)... I had tea with new era of the essentials today and also said hello to mr davinchie. :p

total fucking confusion here. i though dogzilla was just a doogz pseudonym. huge gaff. (shrinks into corner) huge gaff!

:D

Ach!

Turd on the Run
JME SERIOUS!

BRUZA GET ME!

SYER: "You're just a knob, I'll make your girlfriend throb, you know she sucks dick for a job." GET ME SERIOUS!!

Anyone else notice Demon nicking Sharky Major's lyrics and flow on the last track on Run The Roads? Bimborasp.

Backjob

Eh I'm sorry, but youse is all way off track if you don't think Trim has major crossover potential. Yeah, Kano has it too, but it's much more on the looks thing. Kano doesn't make a track live and jump out the speakers at you the way Trim does. Now i can't claim to be close or anything cos I can't get radio out here and don't know what people talk about on the 38 bus or anything, but just on singles alone, the one Trim single from '04 pisses all over that mega hyped Kano release with zero marketing and it crops up in all the end of year charts. I didn't rate the Kano record at all till I saw the video and then it seemed much better, so he definitely has that physical presence and all, but Trim. Trim. you can't deny it.

nick.K

gabba survivor
Kode9 wrote this on his blog this week - best grime riddim of 2005 is by Shots for Dogzilla's 'Jog On'

has anyone else heard it?

originaldrum

from start till done
nick.K said:
Kode9 wrote this on his blog this week - best grime riddim of 2005 is by Shots for Dogzilla's 'Jog On'

has anyone else heard it?

is this by any chance got any thing to do with ele's log on?

mms

sometimes
Backjob said:
Eh I'm sorry, but youse is all way off track if you don't think Trim has major crossover potential. Yeah, Kano has it too, but it's much more on the looks thing. Kano doesn't make a track live and jump out the speakers at you the way Trim does. Now i can't claim to be close or anything cos I can't get radio out here and don't know what people talk about on the 38 bus or anything, but just on singles alone, the one Trim single from '04 pisses all over that mega hyped Kano release with zero marketing and it crops up in all the end of year charts. I didn't rate the Kano record at all till I saw the video and then it seemed much better, so he definitely has that physical presence and all, but Trim. Trim. you can't deny it.

yeah i think you're sort of right, trim has a mad flow, really fractured and he's a smart lyricist.
kano is much more straight forward, but he's got a solid clear voice, he's also got a confident swagger, trim's sort of dislocated .
i think the 2 singles kano did last year were amazing, the production on both of them was excellent as well, but yeah the one i keep on returning to to listen to and the one i get the most pleasure out of is the trim single boogieman. Incidentally i played the trim record to a mate who writes for hip hop connection and he went home right away and bought it, he already had p's and q's so hopefully it will spread out and take over.. i keep on telling him what he should get and he's up for it..

Woebot

mpc said:
apparantly doogz is going along the hip hop/"bashment" route. nevermind.

To add a deeper shade of confusion (ignorance/inconsistency)...... listening to that "boom boom" tune and it sounded, well, really WRONG.

And then I found out that Fusion (Fallacys producer) had produced it. Huge mistake for Durrty Doogz that.

So now i'm torn:

Durrty Goods (aka Dugzy): "Hold It Down" "Look and Turn"
Dogzilla (aka Dogzy): "STDs" "Never Ending Story"

Think I may be coming down on Dogzillas side......

Blackdown

nexKeysound
too much confusion...

Dog-Z

white grime MC, former Pay As U Go affiliate, now from OT Crew (other members = Syre and Shots), on Rinse FM, did STDs.

Durrty Goodz

formerly known as Durrty Doogs, black hip hop MC, used to do grime ie Jammers' "Destruction VIP", famously clashed Wiley, Crazy Titch's brother, formerly Boyz in da Hood, now signed to Polydor, did "Gimme Dat" on Run the Road, and "Boom Boom" with Fusion.

two very different people.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
luka said:
er, we've already sorted that out mate, hence the thread title.

why does it say "Durrty Goods (aka Dugzy)?"

Goodz has never been known as "Dugzy"
Dog-Z is known as Dogzilla though.

Last edited:

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
I'm getting mixed up between Dogzilla and Discarda at the moment. I think I'll just blame Matt. They're both pretty excellent too I reckon.

bun-u

Trumpet Police
Diggedy Derek said:
I'm getting mixed up between Dogzilla and Discarda at the moment. I think I'll just blame Matt. They're both pretty excellent too I reckon.

...now there is in fact very little to choose between those two (in look, style and flow)