whilst goody gets it, why not the church(es)?

Rambler

Awanturnik
Thanks John.

Thinking about this more last night, I probably came on a bit strong. My basic feeling is that any legislation built around how the state wants people to think is generally a bad thing, but that's not to say that there aren't exceptions to this rule (but they are exceptions). Maybe this is one of those instances, but I don't think it's a completely cut-and-dried question.

Such prevarication reminds me why I try to stay off politics threads... :)

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Thinking about this more last night, I probably came on a bit strong. My basic feeling is that any legislation built around how the state wants people to think is generally a bad thing, but that's not to say that there aren't exceptions to this rule (but they are exceptions). Maybe this is one of those instances, but I don't think it's a completely cut-and-dried question."
Yeah but to me this isn't about what people think it's about what people do. The legislation leaves Catholics completely free to hand over the children to sinners through gritted teeth.

john eden

male pale and stale
Yeah but to me this isn't about what people think it's about what people do. The legislation leaves Catholics completely free to hand over the children to sinners through gritted teeth.

Exactly. They are free to think that gay people are "an abomination" and should be "put to death".

But they are not allowed to actually put them to death.

Rambler

Awanturnik
I take the point.

As an aside, no matter who's at fault, it's regrettable that this whole business will likely leave several hundred children - who are among the hardest to place with parents, and end up at the Catholic agencies because, well, no one else will take them - are left in the lurch once more.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"As an aside, no matter who's at fault, it's regrettable that this whole business will likely leave several hundred children - who are among the hardest to place with parents, and end up at the Catholic agencies because, well, no one else will take them - are left in the lurch once more."
But will it? Even if all of the Catholic agencies shut they place a small percentage of children (admittedly the most difficult ones to place) and how many really will close now that the government has refused to blink?
That's a genuine question by the way, is it to be taken as read that all of the Catholic agencies will now automatically close or will some bite the bullet and do as they're told?

IdleRich

IdleRich
In answer to my own question, apparently it's neither, in today's Guardian it says that the church plans to defy the law (in Scotland at least).
Also

"Mario Conti, the Catholic archbishop of Glasgow, has written to five Scottish cabinet members....repeating his warning to Tony Blair that preventing Catholic agencies from discriminating would be a "betrayal""

It seems that Catholic church leaders plan to campaign against Labour candidates in the forthcoming Scottish elections.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
At the end of the day, I can't see this new law making too much difference to the children concerned. I mean, if you were part of a gay couple, how likely would you be to approach a Catholic adoption agency in the first place, even if they had, by law, to consider you? Wouldn't you be much more likely to go to agenices with no religious agenda?

IdleRich

IdleRich
From that link that you posted

"Cardinal Murphy-O'Connor, the head of Catholics in England and Wales, told BBC Radio 4's Today programme: "Some legislation, however well intended, in fact does create a new kind of morality, a new kind of norm - as this does.""
If by "a new kind of morality" he's referring to the fact that it's no longer considered morally acceptable to discriminate against people because of their sexuality then I guess he's right.
Of course you might say that it was always morally unacceptable to do so but society hadn't cottoned on to that - now it has.
If there is a new morality then I like this one better.