Rock Music - let's be honest

Chris

fractured oscillations
I never said that I thought I could evaluate rock with the same criteria I do as the genres I listen to -- in fact, I'm very against that concept. Instead, I started this thread admitting that I have no way of being able to fully appreciate newer rock music since my criteria in what makes "good music" for me are differently formatted, and my only real taste in rock music is what resonated with me when I was a child.

I started this thread purely to start a discussion of rock music from the rockist's perspective, so I could get an idea of how they felt about their own music culture presently.

You might be asking the wrong board for rock recommendations then... I get the feeling most here are probably the types who prefer "cutting edge" rock, that can be appreciated on levels beyond the criteria of traditional purist rock... kraut, postpunk, prog, psych, noise, etc.

With a few exceptions (T-Rex, Galaxie 500, Fleetwood Mac...), I would say that all the rock bands I listen to can be judged by the same rules as electronic music... at the very least for their innovation or concepts, even if it's accomplished with rock elements.

shudder

yeah, obvs not a terrible rock-focussed group here.

I will meekly say that I probably have listened to a good bit more straight up US indie than most here, although in terms of rock most of what I *now* listen to is slightly more off the dial (e.g. last three rock records I listened to: Can, Animal Collective, Gang Gang Dance).

Still, in the right circumstances, I can get caught up in some of the usual rock bluster at, say, a Constantines concert. For those who don't know the Cons, they are a sort of beloved-in-Toronto post-hardcore-meets-post-punk-revivalist(ish) band with a sometimes Springsteeny lead singer. Their concerts are undeniably rock, but the force of familiarity with their songs (which are not, after all, blindingly original), the enthusiasm of the crowd, the intensity of the performance definitely do it for me. My mode of appreciating them is probably straight up rock, and I love it. So there. :)

zhao

there are no accidents
volcano the bear

gangang dance

oxbow

it's tough to come up with a handful of current bands that don't suck

zhao

there are no accidents
rock music is for nostalgic old folks EDIT: and kids who don't know better

EDIT 2: just being honest