the slow decline of berwick street record shops [was: reckless records]

mms

sometimes
fopp only sell things really cheap though - not sure where that would leave indies who dont sell in bulk or cant afford such cut prices

well they don't, they have dead stock from fairly well known acts which they pick up really cheap from old warehouses across the world which they sell at different cheap price bands and then they sell other things and new cds 10.99 /11.99 +.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
I hated breaking my back dragging a bag of vinyl to Reckless only to be offered some insultingly small sum laced with total indifference from the staff... and while their buy prices were tiny, their sell prices were insanely high.

but anyway, any vinyl shop closing down is a bad thing.

Logos

Ghosts of my life
Not to kick people when they are down, but they were the archetypal surely record shop types in there...but like you say, its a real loss.

Don Rosco

I've never sold stuff in there, but it was always first port of call when I made it to London. If you could afford the prices, they always a metric ton of old jungle worth buying. Shit buzz. And it was at least cheaper than ebay.

childrentalking

the sell prices in here were fairly decent for non-wall stock I thought. definitely superior to eg Vinyl Exchange in Manchester.

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
Much of Berwick St was at one point scheduled for serious redevelopment, which would have neccesitated getting rid of MVE and Sister Ray. However, I haven't heard much about it for a while now, so maybe that threat has passed. However, the more generalised threat of high rent increases isn't going to go away. Also, as everyone says, the internet has more or less made second hand record stores redundant (or at least cut their profit margins so that they have to be MUCH leaner operations).

As regards MVE, it's seems to have an unerring ability to remain afloat despite really bad business mismanagement over many years. It's demise has been predicted for so long that, peversely, I'm sure it'll be around for years. However, their margins are going to get worse and worse and worse, I think- it was about 30% of selling price a couple of years ago, now it's heading down to 20% and it'll get even less. Soon, it'd even be worth paying someone to stick it on eBay for you!

shhh

so, are the Record Exchange chains next? i hope not, the two in Camden are a mess, but the one in Notting Hill may be my fav used record store in london, out of process of elimination i guess...

lol

teehee - man many a teenage day was spent rifling through their racks...

*sighs*

good times...

fopp is the new ting now...for a bit anyway other than the net. tower used to be mucky aswell...

crackerjack

I know the chap who owns Flashback on Essex Road (near Islington), he used to work for Reckless I think. Funnily enough, he says business is good - to the extent that he's just opened a second store in Crouch End.

www.eleventhvolume.com
musicinterfaces.wordpress.com

They were probably just being polite about your tunes.

Yeah, I knew I was setting myself up for that one!
Mind you they were getting 3rd pick. 1st went to eBay, 2nd to Vinyl Exchange in MCR and Haggler still gave me £40 for what was left.

mms

sometimes
Yeah, I knew I was setting myself up for that one!
Mind you they were getting 3rd pick. 1st went to eBay, 2nd to Vinyl Exchange in MCR and Haggler still gave me £40 for what was left.

haggles a funny chap inne, he loves mambo and max wall, distrusts black people, gives you records for free if just to seemingly get you out the shop.

eleventhvolume

That amazes me. Last time I took tunes in there they said they couldn't afford to buy anything until the end of the month.

I don't think Mark's looking to buy a Rolls out of his earnings. When I'm intending to bring a load of stuff in I usually ask him whether it's a good time - sometimes he says wait a couple of weeks, but he has definitely opened a second shop and last time we chatted , he said business was decent.

http://www.eleventhvolume.com | http://musicinterfaces.wordpress.com

Last edited:

craner

Beast of Burden
I don't buy many records any more, and those shops recieved 3/4 of my collection for small scraps of cash that I blew on debauched nights out, though I still used to go in and look, and I liked the staff in the dance branch very much, actually. The modette used to irritate me too, I must admit. It's a punch in the heart because another part of my beloved Soho's been erased without thought or honour. And I'm still grieving over the demolition of old Moor Street; I miss La Centrale desperately. This is my second home and it's being dismantled around me.

john eden

male pale and stale
Another one bites the dust....

Tuesday, February 13, 2007
RECKLESS RECORDS CLOSURE

Sadly we have to announce that Reckless Records has had to close down and has gone into liquidation after 24 years. The business of dealing in secondhand records and compact discs has become more and more difficult due to lots of factors, particularly the growth of internet trading, both at new and secondhand levels, and the impossibility of trying to keep abreast of falling prices in High Street stores and online retailers. The business affairs of Reckless Records are being dealt with by a liquidation company: there's unlikely to be a resurrection.
So regrettably it's goodbye from all of us at Reckless. There were lots of good times, but they've gone and it doesn't look promising for similar businesses.
Thanks and goodbye from all of us........

Rambler

Awanturnik
I don't think Mark's looking to buy a Rolls out of his earnings. When I'm intending to bring a load of stuff in I usually ask him whether it's a good time - sometimes he says wait a couple of weeks, but he has definitely opened a second shop and last time we chatted , he said business was decent.

http://www.eleventhvolume.com | http://musicinterfaces.wordpress.com

Yeah, the Crouch End shop's there, but it's just a replacement for the second-hand record shop that was there before it; so good for him, but it's not really an expansion of the number of shops around.

Logan

Grime Guru
Technically not ON Berwick Street, but I saw Uptown Records has now left it's premises of the last god knows how many years. That just leaves BM Soho as the only purveyor of Garrij i the area.

Wow.