Wire's 154

N

nomadologist

The Style Council *does* suck...always hated everything Paul Weller touched, except maybe "That's Entertainment" every once in a weird while

swears

preppy-kei
"Long Hot Summer" and "My Ever Changing Moods" are nice enough tunes, generally rubbish on the whole though, yeah. I suppose my beef with indie rock is that people want to be touched in obvious, acceptable ways. There's no confusion or excitement, no suprises. But I'm off that tip a bit now, because I realised a lot of the four to the floor stuff I like such as Metro Area or Booka Shade or Kerrier District is just as retro and predictable in a lot of ways.

N

nomadologist

All music formally refers to music as it's existed before, within a "tradition", so that--you're right--all music is going to be "retro" or refer to already-written music formally at least to some degree. Music isn't made in a vacuum. Though I love music that tries to sound as if it was...

mms

sometimes
The Style Council *does* suck...always hated everything Paul Weller touched, except maybe "That's Entertainment" every once in a weird while

what is it about paul weller just so shit and so much devotion from a certain type of idiotic british man?

i like some of terence trent d'arby's stuff, bits of his second album which was universally panned are great, the blow monkeys did some ace songs too. 'she drives me crazy' when the off key guitar drops half way thru is great.

STN

sou'wester
I like TTD too especially that weird sprawling fish album.

Re: Paul Weller, I actually quite like the Jam (and their version of 'War' by Edwin Starr is deliciously pathetic as well) but find the Style Council utterly tedious and flimsy. I saw a programme where someone tried to claim they invented house music. I mean, do me a favour...

I imagine Weller was quite hip (clothes-wise, anyway) in his time, but his fans just seem so anxious to claim a slice of his (percieved?) stylishness for themselves. I read these articles (there's been a few) where people say things like 'I switched from Embassy to Gauloise overnight because of the Style Council' and find myself thinking 'you're proud of that?'.

swears

preppy-kei
I saw a programme where someone tried to claim they invented house music. I mean, do me a favour...

The Style Council did a goddawful, ropey cover of Joe Smooth's Martin Luther King inspired underground house hit "Promised Land", so they were definitely jumping on the bandwagon rather than contributing anything new.

mms

sometimes
I like TTD too especially that weird sprawling fish album.

Re: Paul Weller, I actually quite like the Jam (and their version of 'War' by Edwin Starr is deliciously pathetic as well) but find the Style Council utterly tedious and flimsy. I saw a programme where someone tried to claim they invented house music. I mean, do me a favour...

I imagine Weller was quite hip (clothes-wise, anyway) in his time, but his fans just seem so anxious to claim a slice of his (percieved?) stylishness for themselves. I read these articles (there's been a few) where people say things like 'I switched from Embassy to Gauloise overnight because of the Style Council' and find myself thinking 'you're proud of that?'.

wasn't the promised land story slightly dodgy, like it was covered and chartered within a week of the originals release and pretty much uncredited?

i saw him once in covent garden when i was younger and a bit pissed, he was stomping thru there looking well moody and i shouted something like 'oi, you're shit' or something equally as straight forward but rude to him and he shook his fists at me. Personally i thought this was a result, he still wears ridiculous moddish clothes.

Last edited:

Guybrush

Dittohead
Style Council, The - Promised Land
Label: Polydor (UK)
Catalog#: TSCXS 17
Format: Vinyl, 12"

Released: 1989
Genre: Electronic
Style: Deep House
Notes: Produced by The Style Council
Rating: 4.3/5 (6 votes) Rate It
Submitted by: Walli

Tracklisting:
A1 Promised Land (Joe Smooth's Alternate Club Mix)
Remix - Joe Smooth
B1 Can You Still Love Me? (Club Vocal)
B2 Can You Still Love Me? (12 O' Clock Dub)

*confusing*

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Style Council, The - Promised Land
Label: Polydor (UK)
Catalog#: TSCXS 17
Format: Vinyl, 12"

Released: 1989
Genre: Electronic
Style: Deep House
Notes: Produced by The Style Council
Rating: 4.3/5 (6 votes) Rate It
Submitted by: Walli

Tracklisting:
A1 Promised Land (Joe Smooth's Alternate Club Mix)
Remix - Joe Smooth
B1 Can You Still Love Me? (Club Vocal)
B2 Can You Still Love Me? (12 O' Clock Dub)

*confusing*

Joe Smooth was definitely the original, and 1000 times better. It's on most of the 'House Classics' albums, recommended.

If you slow that second Terence Trent D'Arby album down, it sounds just like later SWANS. True.

swears

preppy-kei
swears do you think of wire as contiguous with today's indie rock scene?

Nope.

I think you could say a band like The Futureheads take a superficial sonic influence from them, but this sort of shallow appropriation automatically goes against the spirit of what bands like Wire were doing in the first place.

tht

akstavrh
the list of 80s soul reminds me of ghostface attributing his motown fixation to the songs that might have been played during his (and other's) conception in the 60s/70s

STN

sou'wester
wasn't the promised land story slightly dodgy, like it was covered and chartered within a week of the originals release and pretty much uncredited?

i saw him once in covent garden when i was younger and a bit pissed, he was stomping thru there looking well moody and i shouted something like 'oi, you're shit' or something equally as straight forward but rude to him and he shook his fists at me. Personally i thought this was a result, he still wears ridiculous moddish clothes.

I applaud you for this. It's especially funny that he shook his fists at you as if to say 'you meddling kid'.