Surgeon and Dubstep

elgato

I just dont know
I want the crossover of dubstep and house.

ive been thinking about this quite a bit recently too. very hard to pull off in my opinion tho, to get a real house feeling rather than it sounding 'liquid' or something. i think Left Leg Out has a bit of a house feeling, as did New Life Baby Paris

but im with you on that desire

straight

wings cru
i thought the same about anti-war dub and the money honey remix (when it gets going)too, more 4/4 please

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
That's a good point though. I still reckon it's more just a reflection of how fashionable dubstep is at the moment in certain circles.. it's all a bit Nathan Barley, people trying to outcool each other and such. This might be cynical but dubstep's also a rapidly growing market - the massive variety of electronic music dudes from across the whole spectrum remixing Junior Boys seems to make sense when you consider the crossover appeal of the band themselves. It's just common sense for Domino to try and capitalise on that.. you're right that Kode 9 didn't necessarily have to remix James Yorkston, but a pay cheque's a pay cheque, and it's difficult enough to make a living doing music without refusing remix commissions.

kode 9's a uni lecturer, don't think he's on the breadline, and i don't think that people sorta knowing each other detracts from the fact that they've remixed folk singers or hip hop mcees or whatever. I imagine it is also the case with surgeon and dubstep people know each other too.
I just find the idea of dubstep willing itself into assimilating techno as a potentially very dull prospect.

I reckon dubstep should assimilate the wind blowing thru trees and the hard rain pounding against windows, i reckon that's a good look for dubstep in 2007.

Ulysses

Not a half-steppah
surgeon

fantastic set, a lot more diverse than most of the recent ones ive heard. more of a testament to his skills as a dj, than the merging of techno & dubstep. makes for an exciting set I think.

re: dubstep & house... check out brokenbeat