version

“Warhol himself was never anything but a kind of hologram. Famous people came to the Factory to hover around him without being able to get anything from him, but they tried to pass through him as you might with a filter or a camera lens, which is what he had in effect become. Valerie Solanas was even to try to shatter that lens by shooting at it, to pass through the hologram to establish that blood could still flow from it. So we can agree with Warhol: `You can't get more superficial than me and live'. And he nearly didn't come out of it alive.”

Baudrillard banger.

malelesbian

Femboyism IS feminism.
“Warhol himself was never anything but a kind of hologram. Famous people came to the Factory to hover around him without being able to get anything from him, but they tried to pass through him as you might with a filter or a camera lens, which is what he had in effect become. Valerie Solanas was even to try to shatter that lens by shooting at it, to pass through the hologram to establish that blood could still flow from it. So we can agree with Warhol: `You can't get more superficial than me and live'. And he nearly didn't come out of it alive.”

Baudrillard banger.
I don't understand how people can call the guy a bad writer. Warhol himself said: "I am a deeply shallow person", confirming this passage's accuracy.

version

This makes him look like a serial killer on the sleeve of a Whitehouse album.

290934.jpg

version

I actually am very interested in this book. Can you start a thread about it Version? I'd love to hear about the connotations of different chair designs.

He talks about things like chairs no longer being attracted to a table. They're their own objects now, and sometimes a table's even subordinate to chairs, e.g. a coffee table. Also, that relaxed seating influences conversation.

version

"Today the bed is no more - in its place we have only couches, divans, settees and banquettes. Some 'beds' now disappear into the wall, bowing not to moral stricture but to abstract logic. Tables are low, no longer centrally placed, weightless. The whole kitchen has lost its culinary function and is now a functional laboratory, This is progress, moreover, because the traditional environment, for all its directness, was an environment of moral obsession that bespoke the material difficulty of living. We do have more freedom in the modern interior, but this freedom is accompanied by a subtler formalism and a new moralism: everything here indicates the obligatory shift from eating, sleeping and procreating to smoking, drinking, entertaining, discussing, looking and reading. Visceral functions have given way to functions determined by culture."

version

The Baudrillard is a very Gus book. I can picture him reading it then stalking people's living rooms, looking around like a spy, processing all the objects communicating, hacking their system.

craner

Beast of Burden
Nobody did the Continental grift better than Jean.

The genius of it was that nobody could ever crush him with accusations of selling out or being a charlatan or a bullshitter or a showman or a fake because all he had to do was turn around and say, "oui, that eez ze point, non?"

Brilliant. I loved him. Nobody in those circles had his swagger or panache. No wonder he was so attracted to America.

version

NYT: Some here feel that the study of the humanities at our universities has been damaged by the incursion of deconstruction and other French theories.

BAUDRILLARD: That was the gift of the French. They gave Americans a language they did not need. It was like the Statue of Liberty. Nobody needs French theory.

craner

Beast of Burden
NYT: Some here feel that the study of the humanities at our universities has been damaged by the incursion of deconstruction and other French theories.

BAUDRILLARD: That was the gift of the French. They gave Americans a language they did not need. It was like the Statue of Liberty. Nobody needs French theory.

The King the French didn't even know they had.

sus

Incredible

version

What else did he say?

NYT: Were you a friend of Susan Sontag?

BAUDRILLARD: We saw each other from time to time, but the last time, it was terrible. She came to a conference in Toronto and blasted me for having denied that reality exists.

version

Baudrillard banger.

@sus

craner

Beast of Burden
NYT: Were you a friend of Susan Sontag?

BAUDRILLARD: We saw each other from time to time, but the last time, it was terrible. She came to a conference in Toronto and blasted me for having denied that reality exists.

American intellectuals didn't understand Baudrillard because they didn't understand America.

• Haha
Reactions: sus