films you've seen recently and would NOT recommend

droid

Kill List was pretty good I thought. Field in England is a bit meh. Looking forward to High Rise.

luka

Please don't say they're letting him make a film of high rise. Pleeeease. Hollywood needs to make that. It's a job for professionals. Hollywood needs to make basically every ballard novel except millennium people. BBC should make that for TV

woops

is not like other people
Set in 1975, the movie documents the shocking breakdown of class and social structures within a brand-new high-tech London apartment building as its residents, including Laing (Hiddleston), slowly give in to their more animalistic impulses, turning the building into a bacchanalian den of iniquity.

Of all dens of iniquity, my favourite...

rubberdingyrapids

sightseers is his best one. kill list was well dodgy once it went into occulty stuff. not seen down terrace or a field in england (that one looked pretty shit). cronenberg should direct all ballard films.

rubberdingyrapids

legend. what a dull film. tom hardy quite game as both kray brothers but its basically the kray twins panto. no real insight or interest in getting into the time, place, or a bit more into the family life - id have liked to have seen more about their parents tbh. its a pretty ho hum story of their rise and fall, mostly generic and kind of lazy. a british director should have done it. or anyone who's got a few decent ideas. also the most leaden voiceover i think i have ever heard (a woman with an old school east end accent reading possibly the driest prose ever written about the krays). each brother is a bit of a cartoon, but the film doesnt really define their relationship with any particular notable qualities beyond one was a bit slow but short tempered and he had mental health issues but he was GAY! and the other was a sort of nice kind of fella if prone to the occasional bit of ruthless violence involving knives. i think that was them trying to go for complexity. also looks like it was done on the cheap but trying to look expensive, which is worse. the first clue to its general quality was the soundtrack, which is often just not the right songs. im not sure who should have done it really. i think even noel clarke would have done a better job.

Last edited:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
sightseers is his best one. kill list was well dodgy once it went into occulty stuff. not seen down terrace or a field in england (that one looked pretty shit). cronenberg should direct all ballard films.

that's interesting - never heard anyone stick up for sightseers before. i liked field in england, but kill list was the one for me. cronenberg/ballard call definitely true

The Kemps' Krays film was excellent (or at least incredibly entertaining), see no reason to repeat it

IdleRich

IdleRich
I've said it before elsewhere but I guess none of you lot were reading... so, I don't get the interest in the Krays, I'm sure their story was far less interesting than that of the people who inspired Goodfellas or whatever - the only reason to make another film about them is cos of this weird love thing that people seem to have for them. My guess is that to make it compete with similar US movies it will be pumped up and exaggerated and just a load of nonsense. I'm sure I'll watch it on a download though, same as High Rise for that matter.

luka

I started watching this film called the man from London last night directed by Bella tar. I felt it been watching it for hours but when I checked to see how long I had left there was still over two hours run time.
So I switched it off. I can't describe how ponderous and obtuse this film is. Not the worst film I've ever seen, but definitely top three.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I had avoided the Straight Outta Compton film for a while, based on lukewarm reviews and a pretty terrible trailer (I know, that doesn't usually mean anything, but...). Watched it last night and turns out my instinct was right - who thought it was a good idea to make it look like an 'MTV Presents' affair? Way too glossy and not half interested enough in the music itself or the politics (the Rodney King was weirdly handled, I thought). Without even talking about the problematic omissions from the story and the ridiculous mythologising of how the music got made... And the worst sin of all- it actually made NWA seem a bit ... bland.

I thought the guy who played Eazy-E was pretty good, on the upside. And how many good music history movies (as opposed to documentaries) have there ever been anyways?

IdleRich

IdleRich
I started watching this film called the man from London last night directed by Bella tar. I felt it been watching it for hours but when I checked to see how long I had left there was still over two hours run time.
So I switched it off. I can't describe how ponderous and obtuse this film is. Not the worst film I've ever seen, but definitely top three.
I've seen that. I remember thinking it was alright at the time but I have to admit I can't remember a single thing about it which probably isn't a good sign.

droid

What are the other two?

rubberdingyrapids

i saw bella tar's the turin horse. just a scenario repeated over and over - a girl bringing her father something to eat iirc. sort of interesting, sort of not. it was more of the kind of thing you would see as a film art installation. still interested to see the werckmeister harmonies, though not sure i will 'enjoy' it.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
i wouldn't bother. there's something really distinctive about the Hungarian sense of humour/wry way of seeing the world, but unfortunately Bel Tarr doesn't communicate any of it. Anyone have recommendations for good Hungarian films?

rubberdingyrapids

i liked taxidermia and kontrol (i think thats the spelling)

not hungarian but in terms of a very sort of droll, deadpan, mordant humour, aki kaurismaki is good (a bit like jarmusch, but less smug?)