turkish(?) street dancing music question

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
Quite an interesting area West Green road, innit. There's a Congolese restaurant down there somewhere, which would surely be worth a go.

benjybars

village elder.
I was actually going to do a whole blog about them, but I dunno if I'll get round to it. Antepillar is indeed ace. My top ones are

Bingol
Mesopotamia (which judging by the name is part Turkish, part Iraqi)
Sofra
Antepillar
Harran

But you know, you're guaranteed some ace food in all of them, really.

diggedy derek you BADMAN!

been meaning to write a book (or something) about green lanes restaurants for years...

my favourite is unquestionably 'Gokyuzu' , followed by 'Selale'... i used to go to Harran about 4 times a week but my mate who used to work there moved back to Turkey..

Green Lanes is the greatest street in the world.. BRAP! :) :)

benjybars

village elder.
and let's not forget the Eritrean restaurant by the Turnpike Lane end of Green Lanes... voted best chef by the tottenham and wood green journal!

derek - let me know if you want a tour of the area. would be happy to oblige!

stelfox

Beast of Burden
i wouldn't mind a tour.
i'm new to the place, so it would be useful.
maybe we should arrange a north-western massive beer at some point.

benjybars

village elder.
i wouldn't mind a tour.
i'm new to the place, so it would be useful.
maybe we should arrange a north-western massive beer at some point.

sorry stelfox, the tour was meant to be offered to you1 (although Derek would obviously be welcome aswell!)

yeah, the Salisbury (fantastic pub which i worked in for a couple of years on and off) would be a good place for a Haringey dissensus meet followed by some fine turkish cuisine.. i'm up for it :)

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
Haha, Green Lanes events are always, always welcome with me. I'd be well up for it. Maybe I'll do that blog if I can get time.

Muna's, the Eritrean restaurant is pretty cool too, although it always seems empty so I feel I should go there in case it suddenly closes. Am acquaintance of a friend of a friend used to be involved in Eritrean politics, and reckons "Muna" could have been a famous figure over there. Who knows.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
sorry stelfox, the tour was meant to be offered to you1 (although Derek would obviously be welcome aswell!)

yeah, the Salisbury (fantastic pub which i worked in for a couple of years on and off) would be a good place for a Haringey dissensus meet followed by some fine turkish cuisine.. i'm up for it :)

Count me in! The Salisbury is a great pub. I used to live in that area before the place was renovated - apparently it was known affectionately as 'fight club'! Never had the balls to go in there, it looked well rough. They've done it up nicely, though (or rather, restored its former glory).

However I was there not long ago and saw a new bar across the street full of nicely (trendily?) dressed white people in their 20s/30s, which kind of got me worried a bit...now I hate that stupid purist attitude that a rough manky old pub (like the Sal used to be) is somehow more 'genuine' than a pub with nice food and nice beer and a lack of karaoke nights and stabbings, but I really hope Harringay doesn't get 'gentrified' in the sense of 'made too expensive for anyone intersting (i.e. the Turks) to live there'. Long live kebabs and dodgy offies!

The Old Ale Emporium is quite good, too, and significantly cheaper than the Salisbury.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
There was a dubstep and grime night at the Salisbury last weekend, it's just round from where our studio is, didn't go though.

benjybars

village elder.
There was a dubstep and grime night at the Salisbury last weekend, it's just round from where our studio is, didn't go though.

wait, wait, wait.... WHAT??! are u serious?? the salisbury in green lanes?? how did i manage to miss that :slanted: :rolleyes: :eek: :mad: :confused:

tell me more please sloane!

ok, looks like we've got a few people up for the big north london dissensus party!

@ Mr. Tea - that place you're talking about is called the Garden Ladder and it is SWAG! don't go in there... the Beaconsfield up by manor house used to be alright but haven't been there for time..

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
wait, wait, wait.... WHAT??! are u serious?? the salisbury in green lanes?? how did i manage to miss that :slanted: :rolleyes: :eek: :mad: :confused:

tell me more please sloane!

It's the big pub on the corner, right? Nice place, this one?

260e1a9137d303b09affce16219cf04a.jpg

The night was called Dubsters Anonymous I think, i was gonna go but it bucketed down and I'm miles away from there. This is th epic I got sent about it, the guy who sent it apologised for the quality and I will too!
We drink there most Mondays. It's called 'band practise' lol.

dubstersanonymous.jpg

benjybars

village elder.
wow, that's crazy.. i wonder what dubstep in the salisbury is like?!

dissensus pub meet next week anyone??

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
DMZ played there? Bizarre.

To add to the underground kudos of the place, I interviewed Dexplicit there once.

I'd be very up for a drink next week. Thursday sounds all right.

benjybars

village elder.
dmz played the warp xmas party there last year. a friend said it was ace.

what????? this just gets nuttier.. i worked there for ages but kind of lost ties with the place over the last couple of years.. now i found out DMZ played there... i want to cry :eek: :eek:

stelfox

Beast of Burden
anyone still on for thursday ie tmrw.
i can still do it, so might as well.
be nice to see a bit more of the hood.