artist comps:
Psyche/BFC - Elements
Drexciya - The Quest
Moodymann - Silentintroduction

And the stuff that's been mentioned:
Basic Channel comp
Goldie - Timeless
Aphex Twin - Analogue Bubblebath 3

I love my rave/hardcore/jungle but can't think of any good albums.

Last edited:

bruno

est malade
I'd definitely stick SUAD's "Death Is Not The End", Ragga Twins' "Reggae Owes Me Money", Coil's "Love's Secret Domain" and I-F's "Fucking Consumer" up there, somewhere...
seconded

also hypnotist rainbows in the sky, system 01 from psychedelics to cybernetics, vainqueur's elevations, bandulu cornerstone (not their best but quite good i think)

hucks

Your Message Here
Apologies if someone's mentioned it already, but Bytes by Black Dog, surely? Parallel, which I've seen listed, is awesome, too.

I love my rave/hardcore/jungle but can't think of any good albums.

Too true. Even at the time I never really liked Timeless, and I can't remember the last time I listened to, say, New Forms. The first Logical Progression is pretty good, I suppose.

leamas

great call, yes, but by the dissensus consensus, not by me

the 4hero "rough territory" is more controversial, see upthread

... if only because it's not really an album but a collection of their 12"s.

depends really what merits you judge an album on.

still, it does contain some of the best tracks from the 90s.

noone's mentioned Reprazent, despite lots of other d'n'b albums. hasn't aged well compared to many of the others. of the metalheadz albums i would probably favour the ltd silver tin one over timeless. logical progression? surely should feature under label comps, it's still worth a listen now and again.

tom pr

Wow things like massive attack and goldie i would put in the "irredemably naff" thread but that must just be me. Seems like coffee table music for people who don't actually like listening to music.
I can kind of see that with early Massive Attack, but come on, Mezzanine? There's a couple of songs that are a little coffee tablish, but then you've got stuff like 'Dissolved Girl' and the title track, which are way too pitch-shifting, unpredictable and downright scary for that description...

crackerjack

Blue Lines coffee table beats for people who don't like music??? Get to fuck.

I'd say the opposite - anyone whose heart doesn't soar to Daydreaming, Safe From Harm or Unfinished Sympathy is the kind of obscurantist fool who doesn't like music for its own sake, but views it as a form of disassociation. Look at me! See how I don't like what you like. See how clever my music is and how you just don't get it.

Rant over.

Haha yes that was a rant, and i expected to be contradicted but just cos I don't like what you like isn't a reason to call me names or credit me with silly motivations that you have invented.

I just like different stuff to you, it does happen. I wouldn't dream of saying i like anything for any other reason other than i like it.

anyone whose heart doesn't soar to [insert what i like] is a ... fool who doesn't like music for its own sake

come off it!

I'm glad you enjoy listening to that album, I have never enjoyed it personally.
no need for any accusations!

leamas

I just like different stuff to you, it does happen. I wouldn't dream of saying i like anything for any other reason other than i like it.

hence the impossibility of any 'definitive' list of this sort, regardless of what the journos would have us believe.

it all comes down to you say potato i say... etc

i would argue deliberate obscurancy is to be applauded if it inspires some more heated debate on the topic and encourages exploration of unknown music.

that's not an accusation by the way.

There was a good top 10 printed in Melody Maker (i think) once from Aphex Twin.
He made up all the records.
I always remember "K7 Acid" by XP4 which really *ought* to exist.

leamas

There was a good top 10 printed in Melody Maker (i think) once from Aphex Twin.
He made up all the records.
I always remember "K7 Acid" by XP4 which really *ought* to exist.

That's the best thing i've heard all week. Genius.

:D

Compare and contrast

OK... I said that a particular artist seems to me like music made for coffee tables rather than people.
You said that ANYONE who doesn't like them is a fool.

I think that's quite a contrast. But it's OK.... I just don't see why you're offended unless you are in the band in which case I quite understand and sorry for hurting your feelings.

tom pr

I'd say the opposite - anyone whose heart doesn't soar to Daydreaming, Safe From Harm or Unfinished Sympathy is the kind of obscurantist fool who doesn't like music for its own sake, but views it as a form of disassociation. Look at me! See how I don't like what you like. See how clever my music is and how you just don't get it.
Calm down. Unfinished Sympathy's rubbish anyway... ;)

crackerjack

OK... I said that a particular artist seems to me like music made for coffee tables rather than people.
You said that ANYONE who doesn't like them is a fool.

I think that's quite a contrast. But it's OK.... I just don't see why you're offended unless you are in the band in which case I quite understand and sorry for hurting your feelings.

LOL, my feelings can take care of themselves.

But what you actually said was it's music for people who don't like music. In other words, a pose, something people leave lying around to impress their friends.

Calm down. Unfinished Sympathy's rubbish anyway...

Don't get me started mate. Massive Attack should've been dropped down a deep dark hole for Mezzanine. I haven't felt so betrayed since Steve Martin started making rom-coms.

mms

sometimes
i quite like that massive attack first album but i think i'd have trouble calling it a dance album, it's very hard to dance too. Apart from that all the albums i can think of by people who do dance music aren't dance music albums. Most of the stuff on here like leftfield or whatever i just remember people listening to at uni and it wasn't very good.
The only dance albums i can think of that are good are black secret technology, the dynamix 2 comp on rephlex and some other comps, most of the other stuff is kinda sitting around music that might be electronic

A few people did albums with their hits on

Bizarre Inc, Eon, Mike Dunn, Bam Bam....
what about Revolution For Change by UR, or does that count as a comp?

um.... Aux 88 did 2 albums
Dynamix II - The Album (1990)
Unknown DJ - Unknown's House

I did think of 50 decent techno/electronic LPs yesterday but then I got all self-conscious about being thought a poser...