Woebot on funky house

MATT MAson

BROADSIDE
that's my guess. it gave dissensus a good kick start on a monday morning.

Yeah. That was kind of why I started this thread.

But I do agree with most of what Woebot said. I don't think anybody on Dissensus is afraid of speaking their mind, which is why I like it here.

Guybrush

Dittohead
when we add to this an earlier post from you:

which would mean you're well into your thirties, im afraid it IS indeed pretty embarrising. I'm sorry, maybe you should get that martini

So people in their 30s cutting loose is embarrassing? What nonsense.

mms

sometimes
which would mean you're well into your thirties, im afraid it IS indeed pretty embarrising. I'm sorry, maybe you should get that martini

not necessarily, if you were 15 or 16 or even 18 you'd only just be into your 30's.
people in their 30's having a social life isn't embarrassing
is it anyway?

Badga Tek

Flushing MCs down the loo
I'm new to dissensus and I'm sure there have been dozens if not hundreds of discussions about the fate of the hardcore continuum but following on from Woebot's assertion that the continuum has reached its end, does anyone else think there's still enormous potentiality for another major mutation arising from the UK's (and particularly London) Asian community? I'm not gonna pretend to know that much about desi or bhangra but I've felt for a while that the Asian community has yet to make a significant impact on dance music. Artists such as M.I.A., Bobby Friction and Nihal (I'm sure there are plenty of others amongst the various continuum scenes) and the use of Eastern samples in dubstep and grime is one thing but a large-scale fresh new sound is another. What do people reckon?

MATT MAson

BROADSIDE
does anyone else think there's still enormous potentiality for another major mutation arising from the UK's (and particularly London) Asian community? I'm not gonna pretend to know that much about desi or bhangra but I've felt for a while that the Asian community has yet to make a significant impact on dance music. Artists such as M.I.A., Bobby Friction and Nihal (I'm sure there are plenty of others amongst the various continuum scenes) and the use of Eastern samples in dubstep and grime is one thing but a large-scale fresh new sound is another. What do people reckon?

Welcome.

The thing about all the big 'London' scenes of the last 20 years is they have involved all of London, not just one community. Acid house (the part of it that happened in London), hardcore, jungle, UK garage, grime - none of these came from one particular ethnic group, but from influences borrowed from many. I thought Desi was going to be huge a few years ago, but it didn't seem to make the jump into the mainstream long term (which is probably no bad thing given how healthy that scene is).

This should probably be another thread...

dubble-u-c

Dorkus Maximus
well mala and kode 9 do some tracks that are actually funky.

jesus rather that than ridgid wobbly halfstep..
true enough.

when i mentioned the term funky dubstep to a friend he just said -"that's 2 step".

Sometimes- I think the adage of the term funky to something connotes(to me) that it has become or is corny whether it is or not.

lol

jesus rather that than ridgid wobbly halfstep..

I found this funny

Sometimes- I think the adage of the term funky to something connotes(to me) that it has become or is corny whether it is or not.

I think this is where my mental problems start really with funky house lol...but in general I like the more electro stuff though not that much as I start seeing Ibiza in my head and ears and run a mile lol...

to add my two pence all this house stuff...is mostly crap to my ears but...the good stuff is usually is a lot more edgy...generally I'm just hanging tight to see what cross-pollination is gonna occur...we all know that's when the good stuff is gonna come and we all know it's only a matter of time

my money's on D'explicit or P-Jam to set it off...perhaps even Benga or Skream

dubble-u-c

Dorkus Maximus
I found this funny

I think this is where my mental problems start really with funky house lol...but in general I like the more electro stuff though not that much as I start seeing Ibiza in my head and ears and run a mile lol...

to add my two pence all this house stuff...is mostly crap to my ears but...the good stuff is usually is a lot more edgy...generally I'm just hanging tight to see what cross-pollination is gonna occur...we all know that's when the good stuff is gonna come and we all know it's only a matter of time

my money's on D'explicit or P-Jam to set it off...perhaps even Benga or Skream

hahaha
i hear you.

fwiw - i like some house music -no scratch that i love house music and have for decades now.
I think that D'explicit , P-Jam, Benga and skream defo could blend this aesthetic in with what they are already doing and come up with some interesting results. all i know is I love watching it all unfold here and across the globe.

DWD

when we add to this an earlier post from you:

I'm 32, but yeah - if you could let me know what the age-limit is for having fun on a dancefloor, it'll give me time to get my member's application in at the lawn bowls club.

Tyro

The Kandy Tangerine Man
try to go back to when you were 16, and remember what you thought at that time about thirty-somethings "losing it" on the dancefloor. I remember a mixture of embarrassment, laughter and sadness when one of my teachers was doing this. Also, i distinctly remember the more of these "young at heart" people were there, the more the girls would want to leave.

don't get me wrong, it would be nice to party on like nothing's changed untill the day you die, but the problem is things do change.

How far do you want to take this? Maybe if I'm not a 16 year old I should be tucked up in bed listening to a Coldplay CD of an evening.At a Dubstep event the age range typically stretches from teenagers through to people in their forties and nobody seems to have a problem with that.

http://www.myspace.com/thekandytangerineman

elgato

I just dont know
try to go back to when you were 16, and remember what you thought at that time about thirty-somethings "losing it" on the dancefloor. I remember a mixture of embarrassment, laughter and sadness when one of my teachers was doing this. Also, i distinctly remember the more of these "young at heart" people were there, the more the girls would want to leave.

don't get me wrong, it would be nice to party on like nothing's changed untill the day you die, but the problem is things do change.

fuck that man

if girls want to leave because someones over 30 its cos theyre shallow and dumb. i'd rather party with open minds

so how long till there is funky dubstep?

Or how about just minimal house with a funky edge. I picked up those Cabinet Records compilations that +8 put out (when they were on special offer at Boomkat!). Took me a while to get into it, and some of those tunes date back to the mid-90s, but damn its making my ass move right now.

How far do you want to take this? Maybe if I'm not a 16 year old I should be tucked up in bed listening to a Coldplay CD of an evening.At a Dubstep event the age range typically stretches from teenagers through to people in their forties and nobody seems to have a problem with that.

I've seen some really old geezers skankin' at dubstep nights in Bristol. I mean really old, like they were too old for acid house. more like old punks or something. Age should be no restriction. all are welcome to worship at the alter of bass. Respeckle.

Last edited:
S

simon silverdollar

its the 16-17 year olds in clubs that are the really annoying ones though, isn't it? i much prefer an older crowd. teenagers often have a real 'look at me' atttitude that really fucks me off.

elgato

I just dont know
ive been thinking about this dying a death of taste thing, and its quite an interesting one. it seems to me that a lot of what we understand to be tasteful depends on zeitgeist... it occurred to me today how bizarre it was that funky house is now being viewed as the antidote to tastefulness, when not 5 years ago it represented the exact opposite... the soundtrack to a thousand slick wine bars full of young professionals with their expensive loafers. its nothing in the music itself which has changed this perception, but rather the audience which has adopted it, and the fact that it opposes what has become popular with tastemakers and seen as the sound of the moment

Tyro

The Kandy Tangerine Man
Urbance?

I was looking through some old copies of Deuce Magazine last night {anyone remember that?} and they make for interesting reading.

The September 2003 issue contains an article which breaks UK Garage down into 11 subgenres:Dubstep,2 Step,Urban House,Broken Beat,8 Bar,Sublow[!],Grime,Ghetto Tech[?],4x4,Dark 4x4 and Breakbeat Garage.Everyone seems to be building their own scene at this point in time.

December 2003 has an interview with Benga and Skreamz [as he was then known].Skreamz is quoted as saying ''EZ and The Dream Team have tried to pull away from Garage by calling it Urban House.I used to listen to the Dream Team but now they play Funky House,which has no relevance to Garage''.Benga has respect for Wiley though
''He sets his own trend''

This was the year I first started to attend Forward.Hatcha was pushing the Dubstep sound but a lot of the other DJs were quite reasonably eclectic.J Da Flex would play Broken Beat stuff.Bugz In The Attic did a set down there as well.Youngster was playing a lot of Grime instrumentals and Slimzee was big on Breaks.

In 2007 Dubtep has evolved into an identifiable sound with a worldwide following.This is a fantastic achievement,but in the process the range of sounds has been narrowed down.
ironically DJs from the Urban House scene are now taking up a more eclectic approach
and this will inevitably lead to interesting now sounds and creative marketing.Is anyone here up for Urbance? ;)