ok, so i've been liking a few bits of dubstep lately

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I think everybody claiming to like dubstep is just trying to be cool and secretly listens to Pendulum when they're alone. :D

I have a Pendulum track on a compilation a mate made for me AND I QUITE LIKE IT, SO NER! :p

Anyway, Boney M is where it's at, daddio...

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Crunked Up was pretty fresh when it came out and is absolutely CORKING. And fab to mix with.

Sorry, I think Peveralist and Shackleton are both a bit over-rated. This is absolute heresy I know. I haven't actually heard Blood on My Hands however.

If you like Mala stuff - and he is probably the best producer in dubstep - then you should deffo check out Hunter (possibly Paul Nomos' favourite tune ever?), Bury the Bwoy and the utterly spellbinding Blue Notez.

For sheer emotional impact you can't beat Coki's Torture. A lot of his stuff is a bit samey but that track is fantastic. His ancient Mood Dub is still my favourite dubstep tune ever.

On the more hip-hop influenced side, you really should give Loefah's Disko Wrekka a go. Sheer fatness and a groove worthy of Premier IMO. 50,000 Watts will be even better.

I can't think of any Skream stuff that hasn't been done to death but I still love Dutch Flowerz, and everyone else still thinks I'm mad, so there you go.

Soon come is Cotti and Cluekid's Sensi Dub, which is a magnificent, banging Sleng Teng refix - you may hate it but by god it moves a dancefloor. I can't wait - supposed to be a boot of this soon.

If you haven't checked out the Kode 9 album, don't - it's terrible. More heresy! (His new tune, the remix of Find My Way, is great, though.) Same for Youngsta and Hatcha's mix CD - I have no idea how two such talented DJs, with such unlimited supplies of dubs, can come up with quite such a dreary, monotonous dirge. The Burial album is quite good but very patchy and terribly samey but at least it sounds like garage. Kode's promo mix of Burial for MAH is actually better than the album.

Despite some of the negative comments I've made, dubstep is still the most vital music around for my money.

And dancing to dubstep is easy - it's just simultaneous double-time and half-time skanking. Piece of piss!

nomos

Administrator
Haha. I wasn't going to get suckered into this thread.

Sorry, I think Peveralist and Shackleton are both a bit over-rated. This is absolute heresy I know. I haven't actually heard Blood on My Hands however.
Did I send you my Autonomic Computing CD from last year? 'Blood on my Hands' at the very end. CD-R business too. If I might brag for a minute, I was one of the first to play it. :) Anyway...

If you like Mala stuff - and he is probably the best producer in dubstep - then you should deffo check out Hunter (possibly Paul Nomos' favourite tune ever?), Bury the Bwoy and the utterly spellbinding Blue Notez.
'Tis very good but I think 'Neverland' is my all-time Mala favourite. 'Forgive' would be tied for #2 with 'Bury,' 'Left Leg' and 'Twis Up.' 'New Life Baby Paris,' 'Changes' and 'Hunter' battle for third. 'B' just after.

On the more hip-hop influenced side, you really should give Loefah's Disko Wrekka a go. Sheer fatness and a groove worthy of Premier IMO. 50,000 Watts will be even better.
I'll see (though disagree with) your Peverelist and Shackleton and raise you a Loefah. Eh! How's that for blasphemy!! ;)

Last edited:

gek-opel

entered apprentice
I don't think I will ever "get" Coki's stuff. Most of the recent stuff sounds totally indentikit, and such boring, miserable, miserly music to boot... totally agree with comment in Dave's original post on that score...

Also Loefah- ok he has about four tunes that are perfect, total dancefloor destroyers, but the rest just sounds like failing attempts to re-attain that perfection...

Last edited:

muser

i think dubstep has grown rotten at its core pretty quick, I still respect stuff comin out on hyperdub, boka, dmz stuff is boring for me now still love alot of their tunes tho, not feeling any tempa stuff anymore. what I am enjoying is stuff that has taken from the idea of dubstep without having too much loyalty to it, or from artists that havnt really listen to it loads, ital tek, timeblind, hanhuman and atki2, trouble & bass lot, combat recordings, rag & bone, bass clef, peverlist etc, this probably (hard to tell) is half and half my tastes changing/loosing that intial dubstep 'buzz' and the music itself (in its most popular and well known core) becoming standardized fodder to cater for the increasing market.

Last edited:

Noah Baby Food

Sarantis! he's a mate of mine, another Leeds resident, from Greece originally with a background in punk rock, reggae and horror films. Which makes perfect sense when you hear his stuff. Blinding producer, one to watch for the future. The tracks with Warrior Queen are sick, and has also done some beats on a recent Sick Sense Cru release...which is gully as fuck and all about violence. Does grime and hip hop too but mainly dubstep these days. Check for his label, Senseless Records...it's good stuff. Techy, agressive dubstep.

shudder

Did I send you my Autonomic Computing CD from last year? 'Blood on my Hands' at the very end. CD-R business too. If I might brag for a minute, I was one of the first to play it. :) Anyway...

Gotta say that I just listened to this mix for the first time in a LONG time, and it's really great. I hadn't remembered that it was so nicely book-ended by Shackleton.

mms

sometimes
bin listening to in fine style by horsepower circa 2002 recently - i didn';t much like it at the time, thought it was too mowaxy does 2 step but i'm enjoying it more now, wish some more modern dubstep had it's giddy cartoonish energy really