Pan Sonic

mms

sometimes
Always liked Panasonic, but was pretty disappointed with the 0 album I heard from a year back [imagine that 0 with a line through it]. It was utilitarian to the degree where it just becomes crushingly steady and regular.

those sahko releases are all about 10 years old derek, just b4 panasonic started infact, personally i love it bt it's inspired some more boring stuff with none of the roundness and attention to space and the quality of the sound.

robin

yeah i love those sahko records,i'd never heard of them till last year when i was in london and just as a i was leaving a record shop the first track from the 1.5 ep came on and i was blown away by it.
there's some great stuff on the other records too,i think they were rereleased on cd recently too.
funny this thread should come up now,i was just thinking of decorating the walls of my room with the sleeves from the sahko records,i love their design.

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
Aha, are they reissues? I just heard they were around and downloaded them. That puts a different spin on things if they were that old.

Ta.

D84

Ø is the solo guise of Mika Vanio. which reissue (I'm assuming because as far as i know he hasn't done anything under that alias in a while) are you refering to?

Nah he released another Ø album year or two ago called Kantamoinen. I like it. More on an ambient tip in a Fax-ish kind of way.

Just to chime in with all this, here's an extract from a blog post i wrote back in January whilst surveying the minimal scene...

'Then there's the whole Sahko scene coming out of Finland, based around the work of Mika Vanio in his Ø and Philus guises. I first discovered Vanio when I saw him in his group Pan(a) Sonic supporting Suicide at the Garage in London back in March 1998. I've been a fan of Pan Sonic ever since, but didn't know much about Vanio's earlier solo work until all the vinyl re-issues started cropping-up last year. It's incredible that those basic tracks he was cranking out in his little analogue studio back in 1993 have suddenly taken on so much fresh relevance, possibly even eclipsing that perennial god of minimalism, Richie Hawtin**, last year. Again, this is the subject for a separate post sometime. Incidently, 1993 was also the year that Basic Channel and (I think) Hawtin's Plastikman project began, so I guess we can refer to it as Minimal Techno's 'Year Zero'***.'

I think that covers my position:D

mms

sometimes
yes gutter - 1993 was the year that minimal man, which was baby ford and another dude did their first records too - also the year of that pure techno knowledge club techno style, which probably started acide trance in a way ..:confused:

zhao

there are no accidents
oh yes forgot about the new Ø record. it is nice, but not nearly as jaw dropping as Olenta or especially Tulkinta. discography here

just got the new solo under Vainio name too. blistering yet rounded, rich noise. that's what makes these crazy finns immediately stand 50 feet taller than any other electronic act -- the sound is so full, so unique, so "home made", so perfect... that even at the most abrasive, jarring sheets of static, it does not hurt your ears (like the way jap-noise does), but is a gorgeous object. you just want to keep turning the volume up and up and up and it just sounds better and better and better.

Last edited:

straight

wings cru
i was present at that stubnitz performance too, amazing setting for a gig but christ it got warm! i was a ball of sweat for 3 days. i was surprised how predictable it was though, they did quite a few note perfect (if thats the right word) renditions of tracks from kesto cd 1+2.
I've always enjoyed the older techy 0 material but i picked up that album with alva noto a few months ago and its dull as dishwater. i dont vainio/vaisanen's more experimental activities have ever measured up to when they're balls out rocking, id say ive not even listened to cd3+4 more than half a dozen times in the 3 years ive had it.
i was also quite dissapointed that they had the synths built for them. theres a really in depth interview with brainwshed

http://brainwashed.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=5537&Itemid=61

i do warn you all though, mika vainio has a voice like listening to paint dry.

Last edited:

monkeysblood

born to cry
they have some clips up on boomkat for the new stuff. obviously, you'll be able to get it from shops with actual people in that you can talk to and touch (maybe. or smell :p ).
i'm not sure they do it the best justice - but they are just clips. i'd be too tempted to put the bigger and more immediate sounds/beats on. oh, and i forgot to mention the album features a cello too(!).

hurricane run

"yes gutter - 1993 was the year that minimal man, which was baby ford and another dude did their first records too - also the year of that pure techno knowledge club techno style, which probably started acide trance in a way .."

was ifach the first 'minimal' label? 1993 was also the year of maximal red planet and underground resistance (also winter 1992 was the christmas of hardfloor- hard trance aquperience acieeed) god techno was so good at that time!

zhao

there are no accidents
718479.jpg

"Katodivaihe / Cathodephase" features fourteen brand new tracks that were recorded in Berlin between 2005 and 2006. The album includes three tracks ('Virta 1. / Current 1.', 'Suhteellinen / Comparative' and 'Virta 2. / Current 2.') with cello, played by Hildur Gudnadottir.

Format: CD, limited edition 2 x 12" package
Label: Blast First Petite (PTYT 06), Distributed by Cargo UK
Release date: December 2006

01. Virta 1. / Current 1.
02. Lahetys / Transmission
03. Koneistaja / Machinist
04. Hyanteisista / About Insects
05. Laptevinmeri / Laptev Sea
06. Kuumuudessa muodostuva / Forming in Heat
07. Kertsilogia / Herzlogy
08. Suhteellinen / Comparative
09. Kytkennat / Connections
10. Haiti
11. Hinaaja / Tugboat
12. Tykitys / Cannoning
13. Leikkuri / Cutter
14. Virta 2. / Current 2.

so.... anyone heard this yet?

zhao

there are no accidents
listening to this now. so far track 1 is exceeding my expectations. cinematic and supple... the cello works so well. gorgeous.

mms

sometimes
718479.jpg

"Katodivaihe / Cathodephase" features fourteen brand new tracks that were recorded in Berlin between 2005 and 2006. The album includes three tracks ('Virta 1. / Current 1.', 'Suhteellinen / Comparative' and 'Virta 2. / Current 2.') with cello, played by Hildur Gudnadottir.

Format: CD, limited edition 2 x 12" package
Label: Blast First Petite (PTYT 06), Distributed by Cargo UK
Release date: December 2006

01. Virta 1. / Current 1.
02. Lahetys / Transmission
03. Koneistaja / Machinist
04. Hyanteisista / About Insects
05. Laptevinmeri / Laptev Sea
06. Kuumuudessa muodostuva / Forming in Heat
07. Kertsilogia / Herzlogy
08. Suhteellinen / Comparative
09. Kytkennat / Connections
10. Haiti
11. Hinaaja / Tugboat
12. Tykitys / Cannoning
13. Leikkuri / Cutter
14. Virta 2. / Current 2.

so.... anyone heard this yet?

Yep, very empty and noisy, quite conventional if it wasn't for the emptiness and noise.

zhao

there are no accidents
on first listen the entire middle section which is all abstract tones and noise kind of lost me a bit... was hoping for entire album being focused beat oriented stuff, like the first several tracks - which are just devastating at a high volume -- dubstep producers would do well to take some notes here.

Martin Dust

Techno Zen Master
on first listen the entire middle section which is all abstract tones and noise kind of lost me a bit... was hoping for entire album being focused beat oriented stuff, like the first several tracks - which are just devastating at a high volume -- dubstep producers would do well to take some notes here.

I like the vibe on the this, loud and in the dark it really hits home, some of the sound design is really clever.