Reggaeton

mos dan

fact music
Can no-one tell me about Jimmy Bad Boy then? He's Panaman, he makes kinda reggaeton-pop, seems like a smooooooove mofo, check out the horse scenes in the first vid :)

(this has been one of my fav tracks for years now, i just have it on some crappy comp)

http://www.myspace.com/jimmybad

Man those d/l links are incredible, thanks!

zhao

there are no accidents
was at a party saturday night where Orishas played; very good show; but the dj before and after were spinning wicked stuff -- have no idea what the fuck it was - maybe cuban reggaeton? memory is a bit blurred... maybe it was just reggaeton, but much more traditional latin music flavor than the typical stuff - booming horn section, traditonal singing as well as rap... sounded SO DAMNED GOOD!!!

sorry if my description is crap... but anyone know of anything like this? also there was very nice modern flamenco type stuff with a beat (but didn't suck by way of fusion), and salsa with heavy bass and also nice beats... i wish i could have gone through their crates.

so exciting when you hear 2 entire sets of amazing, unknown shit in the genres you are into...

borderpolice

was at a party saturday night where Orishas played; very good show; but the dj before and after were spinning wicked stuff -- have no idea what the fuck it was - maybe cuban reggaeton? memory is a bit blurred... maybe it was just reggaeton, but much more traditional latin music flavor than the typical stuff - booming horn section, traditonal singing as well as rap... sounded SO DAMNED GOOD!!!

We had a thread on cubaton! This stuff is difficult to get hold of.

Thew cuban song-writing tradition is great and sadly underappreciated!

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.

sorry if my description is crap... but anyone know of anything like this? also there was very nice modern flamenco type stuff with a beat (but didn't suck by way of fusion), and salsa with heavy bass and also nice beats... i wish i could have gone through their crates.

so exciting when you hear 2 entire sets of amazing, unknown shit in the genres you are into...

There's a various CD called 'Cubaton' (along the lines of a 'Bachaton' kind of hybrid sound) that I've heard some tracks from. Wasn't that impressed personally (prefer the kind of Cuban hip hop that Orishas do), but the tracklisting fro that CD might help?

viktorvaughn

Also, because I'm curious (and not always too good at hearing the beat structures of tracks): the allegations that 'reggaeton all sounds the same' are presumably due to the supposed ubiquity of the dembow riddim, right? And is it really all that ubiquitous?

Yeah I think it is very common, far more so than the Amen in Jungle.

This guy did a mix and a mini history lesson on it.
http://wayneandwax.blogspot.com/

zhao

there are no accidents
was just really good to hear reggaeton(ish) stuff with a lot more traditional musical elements, melody and song. at this point, (after downloading something like 50 more albums of the stuff), I've come to the dreadful conclusion that a lot of reggaeton DOES sound the same. and that tunes with character, which can be very very nice, are indeed rare.

zhao

there are no accidents
the more i listen to reggaeton, especially classic, early material, the more i realize that the view of it being a "bastardized form of jamaican dancehall", is fundamentally flawed.

the lineage has much more to do with traditional latin music, in particular Cumbias, Salsa, Samba, and other Afro-Caribean musics besides Reggae. the chugging rhythms and melodies are all in place, and reggaeton is an update, directly descendent of these older styles.

of course Jamaica had a huge influence. but i suspect that it may be partially because the elements borrowed from dancehall is more obvious than the elements that come from Cumbia, etc., as well as arbitrary cultural reasons of dancehall being considered more hip than Cumbia at that particular point in time, that the somewhat misleading name stuck. in the end i think to say that reggaeton is predominantly derivative of jamaican music is totally off the mark.