Bring The Noise

Woebot

>to gumdrops

so you went to the talk at borders! we should have hooked up.

i enjoyed it but i got the general feeling about it that both don and simon were making the best of the situation. it's not exactly either of their chosen medium though (superficially) i suppose don would stand to benefit in such a clash. him the man with the dreads and the swagger.

mostly i enjoyed the way simon managed, quite surprisingly, to say exactly what he wasn't supposed to. the best example of this being his really sympathetic reading of US TVs the white rapper show: they can look sort of stupid, but how can you blame them for not wanting to jump on board Hip-Hop?

indeed it was that, almost call, for people to unbutton their shirts and embrace the idiocy of cross-racial indentification that i felt was the most stirring point made. the thing about race (and now i'm almost certainly saying something i ought not to) is that very often it's about whether people choose to adopt the hallmarks of ethnicity. don letts himself is a very interesting example of this, because actually he *feels* very much like a white geezer, even if his skin is black and locks magnificent.

from this perspective sampling "the other side's" mores is progressive because it chips away at the idea that one's skin colour means very much.

gumdrops

woebot, ach, didnt know you were there too! would have been good to hook up. yeah i think simon and don were trying to make the best out of the situation. i suppose i just hoped more sparks would fly (if not in the antagonistic sense) and it would take flight a little more - they didnt seem to quite get on mutual ground like id hoped. but it was still good to hear their perspectives.

xxxxpost - its true that winhouse, joss stone et al are basically doing older more acepted, already approved forms of black music (albeit with some hip hop production influence and its pretty obvious they were inspired to go that way cos of neo soul artists from the last 10 years like erykah badu or lauryn hill, esp in winehouses case) and i think everyones said almost everything you can about why hip hop hasnt been co opted like blues in the 60s or soul in the 80s so not much to add there but hey, who knows yet, maybe uffie, amanda blank, goldilocks will storm the charts this year. most black genres dont really take off in the hands of white artists until theyre pronounced creatively dead (or once white artists/audiences really adopt those genres, they tend to get left alone somewhat by their core audience, or at least thats how it used to be, im not so sure if that still holds true w/r/t hip hop) and seeing as hip hops been going through that for a while now, and seeing as how many white rappers from over here are signed and black ones arent, who knows. it could actually happen yet. its not going to be the examples or professor greens though (signed to the streets label), probably more the uffies and people like her who arent trad hip hop.

as far as the book, i just finished reading the radiohead piece from the wire thats in there - really inspiring stuff.

Last edited:

subvert47

I don't fight, I run away
Liked Rip it Up... (the chapters I read, anyway) Is this any good? Seems like it would cover more stuff I'd be into

For me it's the other way round. Rip It Up I bought straight away. For BTN I'll wait till the price drops before getting it :)

labrat

hot on the heels of love
I'll wait till the price drops before getting it :)
well theres bare copies in Manchester's Fopp for £3!
(copy of Michael Bracewells superb Remake/Remodel for £4..only one mind.. and a few of Paul Morley's hypnotic dissection of grief "Nothing" for £3)

straight

wings cru
well theres bare copies in Manchester's Fopp for £3!
(copy of Michael Bracewells superb Remake/Remodel for £4..only one mind.. and a few of Paul Morley's hypnotic dissection of grief "Nothing" for £3)

saw paul morley looking at coats in selfridges yesterday. i do miss fopp's bargain books