Rihanna - Umbrella

Tim F

Actually Guybrush I just read your post again: are you saying that you actually think "Crazy" and "LDN" were the pop songs of the year? Or that the "pop song of the year" doesn't offend anyone?

I don't remember a great deal of unanimity at all about "Crazy" actually, quite a few people were turned off by the way limpid backing music. A lot of the wellspring of support that tune had seemed to be more on account of the good will of people who wanted a "worthy" track to top the charts and be feted for it.

Guybrush

Dittohead
You are right, «Crazy» is a bad example, but I still think the theory holds water for a few songs every year: songs that are not only commercially successful, but also acclaimed by the, eh, more discerning masses. Arguably, songs like «Billie Jean», «West End Girls» and «Like a Prayer» could be said to fit this description, and also, I would venture to claim, «My Love» and «Maneater». This is not to say that dissenting views are not there (there are always dissenting views), but rather to suggest that some songs every year tend to rally a great, and diverse, majority of the population. As should be obvious from reading this thread, «Umbrella» is off to a shaky start in wooing the Dissensus microcosm, so maybe it will have to do with being the fun-loving *har har* masses’ song of the year. I think highly of power ballads, actually—George Michael is one of my favourite artists—so I don’t have the least problem with that genre’s being resuscitated. It’s just this song I don’t find very inspired. Z-Ro explored that territory more felicitously on his «From the South».

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Its a bit of a gussied up mid-80s power ballad isn't it really- its not horrible but I've not found a way into enjoying it. Its the chord pattern which is failing to "do it" for me really, which is always the key to any power ballad, as much as production or lyrics. The production here is chunky, forceful, the lyrics whilst not in anyway revelatory are coherent and relative cliche free... She's got a nice voice certainly...

For the record best pop song of last year for me by a long long way was Cassie - "Me & U"... which had a slightly similar 80s power ballad vibe in the chorus (what with those mid-80s ish bass-synths underpinning the melodic movement) but depended less on the block chording style than "Umbrella" (which indeed does recall "Zombie" by the Cranberries in its repetitive hook/shifting chord trick, which always struck me as a remarkably cheap method of producing a sense of importance or grandeur in pop). The militancy of lyric that Tim F points out is quite interesting tho.

Last edited:

Tim F

Er, Guybrush, no offence but... that idea of good pop seems deeply flawed to me. It seems a recipe for bad pop, everyone trying to make a "Hey Ya".

Most really good pop does go over/under the head of a whole chunk of people, because most good music does.

boomnoise

♫
in your head, in your head,
jay z, jay z, jay z
in your head,
hey, hey, hey,
what's in your head, in your head?
hey ey ey ey ey

etc

mos dan

fact music
'me and u' was probably my song of the year last year too. and in 2005 it was prob 'one thing'. it always seems to be female r'n'b stars lol

does anyone know what the new amerie album's saying? i can attest that cassie's album has at least three more incredible songs on, beyond 'me and u' - i almost prefer 'long way to go' in fact.

anhhh

As expected: "Speaking of Bat, he has a fascinating take on Rihanna's 'Umbrella', which I hope he will post soon - incidentally, at this stage, it's looking very possible that Rihanna may well end up producing my favourite singles of both 2006 and 3007"

http://k-punk.abstractdynamics.org/archives/009446.html

About the new Amerie, there are songs as good as both singles, she made a couple of mixtapes before the record came out, around samples of songs that she loved as a listener and writing the lyrics to top them, and that sense of freshness is on the record (and maybe it ends being a little lineal after 16 songs...)

gek-opel

entered apprentice
I will add that "Umbrella" is exquisitely constructed from an ear-worm catchiness point of view- and on that technical level its probably the best pop single released so far this year. Its good, but I just don't know if I like it...

dHarry

Badiou and Rihanna

What makes this the best pop song so far this year? Certainly not Jay-Z’s rap; it’s all about the crashing monolith of the song itself, a power-ballad propelled by crushing old-skool drums and cascades of synthesisers, plus a surprisingly intense performance from Rihanna that makes this the most directly affecting R&B track since Beyonce’s Irreplaceable. The two songs are exact opposites, content-wise: Umbrella appears to be a vow of friendship in the face of a failing affair, and perhaps it’s the fact that modern R&B usually can’t talk about such things that makes this so special. If thematically Umbrella resembles That’s What Friends Are For or Have A Little Faith In Me, it distinguishes itself with its extremity: rather than depict the comfort of reliability, Rihanna pits her fidelity against the elements – this literally sounds like a thunderstorm. Great, melodramatic lyrics too: “Said I’ll always be your friend/took an oath, I’m a stick it out ‘til the end.” Rihanna, I got your back too.

This is accurate - and that “Said I’ll always be your friend/took an oath, I’m a stick it out ‘til the end.” line is the hook, both thematically and pop-aesthetically, which lodges the song firmly in yr skull/heart/unconscious.

Most of the vocal melody, despite its fierce stridency, is fairly predictable in its scansion/rhythm until that line, where a rhythmic body-swerve on "Took an oath..." lifts the whole thing out of the pop-rock power-ballad mode and injects some R&B/hip hop into proceedings. And maybe it's no coincidence that this just happens to be the Badiouan declaration of fidelity to the love/friendship event.

I can't agree with Beyonce’s Irreplaceable as equally affecting as this tour de force, although the contrast is striking. Beyonce’s narrator as all-powerful diva who can dial up a replacement lover as easily as the cab she calls for the unfaithful one she's kicking out might conceal the hurt she might be feeling, but the melodic and thematic hook "You must not know about me", a kind of "Don't you know who I am" declaration of power and privilege suggests an over-indulged ego and doesn't inspire much sympathy or empathy as it aggressively asserts itself.

It's even more fitting that Beyonce was first offered and passed on Umbrella, as Rihanna is her polar opposite, arriving into the song like a banshee to eclipse Jay-Z's lazy, perfunctory intro and making the declaration of allegiance sound like an elemental struggle for survival. It's hard to imagine Beyonce injecting this much passion or conviction into it; such a hard worker these days that she seems to have lost any spark of joi-de-vivre; the harder she tries the less affecting she becomes. And that ella-ella-ella/eh-eh-eh refrain really does defy description, rhyme or reason in its sublime meaningless-ness, managing the not inconsiderable feat of sounding like an homage to Dolores Cranberry's grotesque misguided Zombie while still sounding magnificent, defiant and all-powerful; a pagan goddess defying the elements with nothing but passion and conviction.

Tim F

"I can't agree with Beyonce’s Irreplaceable as equally affecting as this tour de force, although the contrast is striking. Beyonce’s narrator as all-powerful diva who can dial up a replacement lover as easily as the cab she calls for the unfaithful one she's kicking out might conceal the hurt she might be feeling, but the melodic and thematic hook "You must not know about me", a kind of "Don't you know who I am" declaration of power and privilege suggests an over-indulged ego and doesn't inspire much sympathy or empathy as it aggressively asserts itself. "

See, I interpret "Irreplaceable" as being about self-delusion (Beyonce may not agree though!). The "I could have another you in a minute/matter fact he'll be hear in a minute") has this heart-tremor leap upwards which sounds totally poignant, like Beyonce's thinking "yeah, I could, but he wouldn't be you, and I don't know why but you're the one I've given power over me."

It's like there's this contradiction in the heart of the title: on a pragmatic level her boyfriend is totally replaceable (and to emphasise her point Beyonce sets herself up as the breadwinner in the song, as she would be IRL for any boyfriend other than Jay-Z), but there's also something about her cheating boyfriend which isn't replaceable, something above and beyond him as a person, and that's the him-as-object-of-desire (those of you playing at home can insert a reference to Lacan here). It's not so tangible or obvious that it prevents Beyonce from making the claim that he's replaceable, but it prevents the claim from sounding convincing to anyone, including herself.

This is why the song is so captivating: rather than be over-literal and grovel in her own anger or misery, Beyonce affects a pose of heartless indifference, and this affectation is much more affecting than the truth would be, partly because of the performative irony involved (we, the listener, know what Beyonce's boyfriend does not, which is that she doesn't totally mean what she's saying).

It's vaguely comparable to all those tragic stiff-upper-lip characters in books and films who have gracefully stepped aside, disavowing their unrequited love for one of the two main characters in order to make way for the central love affair. I can't think of any examples off-hand except for Kristen Scott-Thomas's character in "Four Weddings & a Funeral" - there's something tragic in the way that "putting on a brave face" is used to ruthlessly suppress one's own emotions.

dHarry

It's like there's this contradiction in the heart of the title: on a pragmatic level her boyfriend is totally replaceable (and to emphasise her point Beyonce sets herself up as the breadwinner in the song, as she would be IRL for any boyfriend other than Jay-Z), but there's also something about her cheating boyfriend which isn't replaceable, something above and beyond him as a person, and that's the him-as-object-of-desire (those of you playing at home can insert a reference to Lacan here). It's not so tangible or obvious that it prevents Beyonce from making the claim that he's replaceable, but it prevents the claim from sounding convincing to anyone, including herself.
That's a nice gloss on Lacan's objet petit a; in that light all lovers are necessarily replaceable, although of course not with the ease that Beyonce suggests, as the objet petit a is a stand-in for the unattainable plenum of the Real and is thus paradoxically irreplaceable. And she is of course reacting to being placed in the same objet-position herself by the unfaithful lover whose desire moved on to another. (And to really stretch this, is it pure coincidence that Lacan compared the objet to the Greek agalma, a precious object kept in a worthless box - everything you own in a box, to the left!)

I still don't think the lyrics/performance/melody/production really combine to produce the powerful affect you get from it, though.

borderpolice

And that ella-ella-ella/eh-eh-eh refrain really does defy description, rhyme or reason in its sublime meaningless-ness,

Not quite sure i feel all the love Umbrella gets here, and why it's an 80s ballad (they rhythm of the vocal phrasing is just too different i recon), but since we're on the subject, is there some microtonal action going on with ella-ella-ella, eh-eh-eh? each of the "ella"s and each of the echoed "eh"s sounds subtly different from the one before, but i can't quite get my finger on what precisely is changed. Ideas?

I think part of the appeal of the song is that it is clearly of the RnB genre, because of the singers track record, her looks, and many RnB signature sounds and arrangements, and yet
it is very different: Rihanna's voice in this track is amazing and very powerful in a way that is quite different from what one expects in an RnB track. Moreover, the melodic and harmonic structure of the song deviates in many ways from RnB patterns, though i can't identify quite how it is different.

I wonder who wrote/produced/arranged this song.

Update: according to this article the producer is one C. Tricky Stewart, "who many might think is really Timbaland with a new alias".

Last edited:

Tim F

Nope, C Tricky Stewart has been around for ever and a day. If I remember correctly he did Mya's "Case of the Ex" and also some stuff on Blu Cantrell's first album (check the excellent "Waste My Time"), as well as quite a bit of Southern hip hop I think - definitely did a lot of production work for JT Money.

Gavin

booty bass intellectual
It's hard to imagine Beyonce injecting this much passion or conviction into it; such a hard worker these days that she seems to have lost any spark of joi-de-vivre; the harder she tries the less affecting she becomes.

Ah, you nailed why Beyonce does nothing for me these days... she was like some horrible frantic robot in the Deja Vu video.

borderpolice

Nope, C Tricky Stewart has been around for ever and a day. If I remember correctly he did Mya's "Case of the Ex" and also some stuff on Blu Cantrell's first album (check the excellent "Waste My Time"), as well as quite a bit of Southern hip hop I think - definitely did a lot of production work for JT Money.

yeee, see also here!