beastie boys - vs fat boys

ripley

Paul's Boutique is an important album to hip-hop's development musically. The production is nuts, they way they used sampling and suchlike was revolutionary.

Clearly people respond to their idea of the Beastie Boy fans as much as they do the music itself. Kinda like a lot of people feel about Bob Marley - too many frat boys like'em for it to be okay to like'em. But that doesn't mean non-fratboys don't like'em.

I'm not a frat boy, by the way. nor do I have a beard or 'soul patch.' Only a slight jewish-girl mustache.

I think their party music is fun too, although I don't know if I feel it's hip-hop (not that I'm qualified to say). But Paul's Boutique is at least an amazing riff on hip-hop taking it in some crazy directions.

petergunn

plywood violin
Paul's Boutique is an important album to hip-hop's development musically. The production is nuts, they way they used sampling and suchlike was revolutionary.

Clearly people respond to their idea of the Beastie Boy fans as much as they do the music itself. Kinda like a lot of people feel about Bob Marley - too many frat boys like'em for it to be okay to like'em. But that doesn't mean non-fratboys don't like'em.

I'm not a frat boy, by the way. nor do I have a beard or 'soul patch.' Only a slight jewish-girl mustache.

I think their party music is fun too, although I don't know if I feel it's hip-hop (not that I'm qualified to say). But Paul's Boutique is at least an amazing riff on hip-hop taking it in some crazy directions.

let me dead that "paul's boutique is next level" talk w/ this:

6a00c2251e69e08e1d00c2251e201ef219-500pi

Precisely.

Also, I like Bob Marley. I think he was a zillion times more talented than Beastie Boys, no contest.
My comment about Beasties being the rap it was ok for Chili Peppers fans to like waas a low blow (irrelevant to whether they are actually good or not) (but true :p )

mms

sometimes

i like bob marley too. i like lots of music where i may or may not like alot of the people into it.
pauls boutique is really quite overated i think, and further on down the line when they'd fill out their records with bad funk jams..

JP Nut

Wild Horses
let me dead that "paul's boutique is next level" talk w/ this:

6a00c2251e69e08e1d00c2251e201ef219-500pi

I'm not sure how referencing 3 feet "deads" the idea that pauls boutique utilised production techniques and sample manipulation that tore the rule book up.

the beastie boys were definitely influenced by prince paul and in an interview he stays...

" It's funny you mentioned Paul's Boutique… I met up the Beastie's before they went in with The Dust Brothers to record their second album and they were all like "oh man, we loved what you did with '3 Feet', all those samples… we're gonna do something similar with our next record"

but there's no doubting to anyone in hip hop that the dust brothers alongside the beasties created something unique and groundbreaking with pauls boutique. I mean even the range of the samples used and the sheer number of them is just ridiculous.

if you are a fan of sample based music (which i am), then pauls boutique is a milestone

ps. that doesn't detract from the fact that 3 feet was also a brilliant lp with awesome production and great mcs.

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
Simple answer

From 1983-1986: The Fat Boys ruled.
From 1986-2007: Beastie Boys rule.

They were both in Krush Groove, then the Fat Boys became large (no pun intended) when the classic LP "Crushin'" and the movie "Disorderlies" came out. The Fat Boys were up there as rap superstars...However, once the Beastie Boys dropped "Licensed To Ill" they became LARGE. Then after Rakim, KRS One, Public Enemy, N.W.A., Kool G Rap & Big Daddy Kane came out the Fat Boys (and Kurtis Blow) were left in the dust by the new generation of emcees. Also, the Beastie Boys did have a cameo in the Run DMC film "Tougher Than Leather". One.

daddek

Then after Rakim, KRS One, Public Enemy, N.W.A., Kool G Rap & Big Daddy Kane came out the Fat Boys (and Kurtis Blow) were left in the dust by the new generation of emcees.

okay so at least the beasties continued to evolve, develop new directions (like it or not) and build an empire of sorts (label, mag etc). Wheras the fat boys just gave up. Or at least, became passe.

mms

sometimes
okay so at least the beasties continued to evolve, develop new directions (like it or not) and build an empire of sorts (label, mag etc). Wheras the fat boys just gave up. Or at least, became passe.

buff died, prince markie d is a radio dj in miami, difficult to carry on when one of your guys is brown bread.

daddek

buff died, prince markie d is a radio dj in miami, difficult to carry on when one of your guys is brown bread.

thats sad. but u know, successful acts often rose out of the ashes of tragic events. mf doom, new order.. uh.. foo fighters.. ok not the best examples but still. cool that prince markie is doing his thing tho.

petergunn

plywood violin
what is this, "The Highlander" ?

i don't get the reference, but sorry, it's one of pet peeves when people use Paul's Boutique as this milestone in creative and widespread sampling, when "3 feet high" is just as creative and came out earlier...

Guybrush

Dittohead
No one has mentioned one of the great scourges of recent years: the Flood of awful Beastie Boys mash-ups that have plagued the world in the wake of someone’s unwise decision to release their a cappellas for the zillions of Danger Mouse-wannabes out there to butcher.