Warp Welcomes Flying Lotus

Immryr

from what i've heard of flying lotus i havent been TOO impressed. its nice enough music, but nothing startling.

UFO over easy

online mahjong
1983 is pretty nice...

But he's (??) capable of so much more. I went to a talk by skream and some other folks about the red bull music academy recently and they were giving away compilation CDs of related music. There was a female vocal tune by Flying Lotus on there that was so unbelievably lush. I think it's coming out properly but not sure... we played it on our subfm show yesterday, archive will be up soon... plug plug plug

michael

Bring out the vacuum
Is it the first tune on his myspace? I quite like it.

I also like '1983', but I do think there's a strange degree of sameness between this and other producers like Dabrye or Caural... basically sounds to me like Dilla beats minus the raps and with some extra FX to make it ... trippy. The results are a bit different from J Dilla, they're less hip-hop, but still, I can't help but feel that maybe it's a bit of a dead-end. Will be interested to hear more though.

Last edited:

UFO over easy

online mahjong
Is it the first tune on his myspace? I quite like it.

I also like '1983', but I'd find it hard to separate it from e.g. Dabrye or Caural... there's a weird little "scene" of what basically sounds to me like Dilla beats minus the raps and with some extra FX to make it ... trippy. I put scene in quotes cos I have no idea if the producers are at all connected, but there's a sameness to the results.

Nah it's the fourth tune in his myspace :) Sick tune. Probably the least sort of electronica-y of them all.

I definitely agree with you re: dilla as well... it's just that mad swing.

Trevor Lunch

Does anyone remember when every single thing that came out on Warp was amazing?No?When Warp first started expanding their repertoire and "branching out" I personally welcomed it with open arms,I mean to me diversity in music seems healthy,but look at the the state of things now.It leads me to think that they should have stuck to what they did best.Weird futuristic mutations of techno, electro, rave, house etc which led this label to be very pioneering and groundbreaking.This label and Rephlex got me into electronic music when I was 17,when the only things I wanted to listen to were Hardcore Punk and Death Metal .The kind of records warp put out then blew my mind.The only thing this weak arsed shite does is blow my buzz.
It does not mean fuck all that this guy is John and Alice Coletrane's nephew,his music is well weak to my ears.

Sorryxxx

mms

sometimes
Does anyone remember when every single thing that came out on Warp was amazing?No?When Warp first started expanding their repertoire and "branching out" I personally welcomed it with open arms,I mean to me diversity in music seems healthy,but look at the the state of things now.It leads me to think that they should have stuck to what they did best.Weird futuristic mutations of techno, electro, rave, house etc which led this label to be very pioneering and groundbreaking.This label and Rephlex got me into electronic music when I was 17,when the only things I wanted to listen to were Hardcore Punk and Death Metal .The kind of records warp put out then blew my mind.The only thing this weak arsed shite does is blow my buzz.
It does not mean fuck all that this guy is John and Alice Coletrane's nephew,his music is well weak to my ears.

Sorryxxx

werthers original?

mms

sometimes
No thanx mate I've got a bag of salt and a bottle of vinegar to get through yet...

There was never a time on any label where everything they put out was amazing, that's just how you remember it.
It's a little harsh to make up your mind about how things are in the present based on how you remember things were ten years ago. esp making up your mind on an artist off 4 tracks on a myspace page.:)

Trevor Lunch

There was never a time on any label where everything they put out was amazing, that's just how you remember it.
It's a little harsh to make up your mind about how things are in the present based on how you remember things were ten years ago. esp making up your mind on an artist off 4 tracks on a myspace page.:)

I haven't made my mind based on some nostalgic hazy recollection.I formed my opinion based on the evidence of my senses,and the evidence of the records in my collection on Warp A fairly reliable thing to go off.I used to buy a lot of stuff out on warp because they released music that was interesting to my ears,you could walk into a record shop find the newest release on Warp and just buy it on sight.It used to be a stamp of quality,obviously not always 100% but 90% is still awesome.These day they put out weak indie,weak dance indie electro crossover guff,and this kind of lame take on hip - hop.I cant remember the last good thing they put out by an artist that wasn't one of the artists they have had for years.

I think I can usually say it's safe to make your mind up about an artist after listening to four tracks by them.I mean how many trax do you need to hear before deciding whether you like something or not?

mms

sometimes
I haven't made my mind based on some nostalgic hazy recollection.I formed my opinion based on the evidence of my senses,and the evidence of the records in my collection on Warp A fairly reliable thing to go off.I used to buy a lot of stuff out on warp because they released music that was interesting to my ears,you could walk into a record shop find the newest release on Warp and just buy it on sight.It used to be a stamp of quality,obviously not always 100% but 90% is still awesome.These day they put out weak indie,weak dance indie electro crossover guff,and this kind of lame take on hip - hop.I cant remember the last good thing they put out by an artist that wasn't one of the artists they have had for years.

I think I can usually say it's safe to make your mind up about an artist after listening to four tracks by them.I mean how many trax do you need to hear before deciding whether you like something or not?

well yes you said it, whether you like it or not ok, warp doesn't put ot the same music they did 10 years ago when you did like em.

heard the battles album? or jackson's album ? or clarks album? Sure warp have changed from in some ways from what they are remembered for most in the 90's, but those records are great, very strong releases, and stuff like grizzly bear is good too. but then ive never bought into misic as a brand like that, i won't ever like all the records on a label i'm sure, all my favorite labels have put out alot of dross and it's easy to remember the records you do like and forget the ones you don't. It's very easy to get duey eyed about music you probably don't listen to much nowdays too.
Very few labels are flawless unless they are labels who cherry pick retrospective genres, but saying that a label like soul jazz who does this as a matter of couse doesn't always get it right either.
i would be very worried if a label didn't change over a decade, as it would probably not exist now, or be struggling hard, as alot of labels who stick doggedly to their tunnel vision do.
i wouldn't listen to a few tracks on a myspace and decide that an artist is shit, no.
anyway people always wine about once perfect record labels not being like they were or whatever, it's never true if you are reasonable and severe enough, it's a weird thing but selling records on ebay like i've been doing lately is an interesting way of separating wheat from chaff and being objective and honest. Anyway its a boring argument this, usually if i don't enjoy something i stop doing it really.

Last edited:

Trevor Lunch

well yes you said it, whether you like it or not ok, warp doesn't put ot the same music they did 10 years ago when you did like em.

heard the battles album? or jackson's album ? sure warp have changed from in some ways from what they are remembered for most in the 90's, but those records are great, very strong releases, and stuff like grizzly bear is good too. but then ive never bought into misic as a brand like that, i won't ever like all the records on a label i'm sure, all my favorite labels have put out alot of dross and it's easy to remember the records you do like and forget the ones you don't. It's very easy to get duey eyed about music you probably don't listen to much nowdays too.
Very few labels are flawless unless they are labels who cherry pick retrospective genres, but saying that a label like soul jazz who does this as a matter of couse doesn't always get it right either.
i would be very worried if a label didn't change over a decade, as it would probably not exist now, or be struggling hard, as alot of labels who stick doggedly to their tunnel vision do.
i wouldn't listen to a few tracks on a myspace and decide that an artist is shit, no.
anyway people always wine about once perfect record labels not being like they were or whatever, it's never true if you are reasonable and severe enough, it's a weird thing but selling records on ebay like i've been doing lately is an interesting way of separating wheat from chaff and being objective and honest. Anyway its a boring argument this, usually if i don't enjoy something i stop doing it really.

I hear what your saying mate,I wouldn't say I was getting duey eyed about it really.I just think that Warp have tried to hard to chase and market the "new thing" and as a result in my opinion their output has suffered.From Autechre to Maximo Park,I mean Aphex would be rolling in his grave wouldn't he?.;)
Battles are o.k Don Caballero and Helmet are far superior.
I think it's important that a label retains it's identity,otherwise they dilute what they were doing in the past.My favourite labels have always stuck to what they do best.Most of the time when a label changes direction or branches out it is for the worst.For example in the mid nineties Earache records started to put out Gabba records and not very good ones either.Up until then they were pretty formidable in the field of Death Metal and Grindcore after that excursion into the "new thing" they lost their direction and stopped being the count on label they used to be.

gek-opel

entered apprentice

heard the battles album? or jackson's album ? sure warp have changed from in some ways from what they are remembered for most in the 90's, but those records are great, very strong releases, and stuff like grizzly bear is good too. but then ive never bought into misic as a brand like that, i won't ever like all the records on a label i'm sure, all my favorite labels have put out alot of dross and it's easy to remember the records you do like and forget the ones you don't. It's very easy to get duey eyed about music you probably don't listen to much nowdays too.

Yeah Jackson and Battles are strong releases that make sense within the Warp label aesthetic- but could you explain the rationale behind signing Maximo Park (I'm not saying this in a snide way, I am genuinely interested)-- beyond merely commercial expediency? Obviously Warp had a problem when the scene it was most associated with stopped evolving and their key artists reached the point of diminishing returns (as most do) - interesting to see that it hasn't yet gone down the path of exploiting dubstep or minimal... which would seem closer to the original intent (experimental electronic music which grew out of functional dance music) than straightforward indie.

Martin Dust

Techno Zen Master
It's kinda odd that people can't understand how Warp has evolved over the years, it's a business :) I loved the old Warp that everyone fell in love with, they did so much good work up here and for that I'll always be grateful but to expect them to stay in the same spot forever was never going to happen.

mms

sometimes
Yeah Jackson and Battles are strong releases that make sense within the Warp label aesthetic- but could you explain the rationale behind signing Maximo Park (I'm not saying this in a snide way, I am genuinely interested)-- beyond merely commercial expediency? Obviously Warp had a problem when the scene it was most associated with stopped evolving and their key artists reached the point of diminishing returns (as most do) - interesting to see that it hasn't yet gone down the path of exploiting dubstep or minimal... which would seem closer to the original intent (experimental electronic music which grew out of functional dance music) than straightforward indie.

I would think they genuinley like maximo park and wanted to see what the jump into that bigger competiitive world of indie bands was like.
It is a total contrast to what they did in the 90's, groups of media shy males in ones or twos with large cult followings, as opposed to bands who need large campaigns behind them. They are to be fair the only straightforward indie act on the label. On that level i respect that wish to explore their parameters in that way and break their own mould.

But I hope that the level of experience that comes from m p can be used to develop other bands and artists that are better and more exciting personally, i want to see some gatecrashers, i'm no fan of melodic indie rock, but it does seem to be throwing up some more exciting mirrors and contrasts now.

Last edited:

Trevor Lunch

It's kinda odd that people can't understand how Warp has evolved over the years, it's a business :) I loved the old Warp that everyone fell in love with, they did so much good work up here and for that I'll always be grateful but to expect them to stay in the same spot forever was never going to happen.

I have witnessed how Warp evolved.It all started to get a bit iffy when they started marketing things in such a way that it was obvious they were looking to get some big hit's under their belt(around the time of Red Slapper's "Making Bones").Well they finaly struck gold with Maximo Pork.
I don't really think that just because a label sticks to it's original vision means that the sound does not evolve and progress,for example Rephlex,Underground Resistance,Skam,Hangars Liquides, none of these guys have changed tactics but they still release records that sound new and different.They have evolved without being trendy bandwagon jumpers.That said they have had the decency not to jump on the Dubstep bandwagon,but then again there is no real personality or angle to market in Dubstep it's a more behind the scenes kind of affair.

Martin Dust

Techno Zen Master
Warp have always been honest about things if you ask me, they've always wanted to sell shit loads of records, I think Steve even states this on Universal Techno. Warp stepped up when they moved south and they are still going in what must be one of the toughest markets and with London rents/wages, you can't really knock them.

I did get to meet both Steve and Rob (R.I.P), they didn't strike me as the kind of people who would sign something they didn't like.

mms

sometimes
I have witnessed how Warp evolved.It all started to get a bit iffy when they started marketing things in such a way that it was obvious they were looking to get some big hit's under their belt(around the time of Red Slapper's "Making Bones").Well they finaly struck gold with Maximo Pork.
I don't really think that just because a label sticks to it's original vision means that the sound does not evolve and progress,for example Rephlex,Underground Resistance,Skam,Hangars Liquides, none of these guys have changed tactics but they still release records that sound new and different.They have evolved without being trendy bandwagon jumpers.That said they have had the decency not to jump on the Dubstep bandwagon,but then again there is no real personality or angle to market in Dubstep it's a more behind the scenes kind of affair.

I dont think those are very good examples of very exciting and evolved labels apart from rephlex at times, who incidentally were the first electronica label to get involved in dubstep and the bug etc.. people moaned about that at the time but are probably greatful now. The others sometimes release some good stuff but its a little thinner on the ground nowdays. A label like planet mu has also developed into and alongside jungle and dubstep/grime as well as interesting electronics and breakcore and its worked as they release some great records.
i can't really see how warp are trendy bandwagon jumpers, and why not sign dubstep if the music is good, dubstep is good music, why not have a record label that puts out good music, why not be ambitious, and interested in breaking moulds, why is that indecent?
i'm gonna stop talking now cos i think this is all a bit boring really. If you really don't like something, do something else.

Last edited:

Trevor Lunch

Warp have always been honest about things if you ask me, they've always wanted to sell shit loads of records, I think Steve even states this on Universal Techno. Warp stepped up when they moved south and they are still going in what must be one of the toughest markets and with London rents/wages, you can't really knock them.

I did get to meet both Steve and Rob (R.I.P), they didn't strike me as the kind of people who would sign something they didn't like.

Well being honest about wanting to make money has worked for Stock,Aitken,and Waterman but it didn't exactly reap much rewards musically did it though?I'm not really talking about markets and business I'm talking about the quality of music.

Martin Dust

Techno Zen Master
Sure it did, while I may not like some of the new stuff myself, people in our studio are mad for Battles, Clark etc - I aint going to knock them and this really isn't going anywhere, so I'll quit here.

Logos

Ghosts of my life
You can't keep releasing 'Artificial Intelligence' for 15 years can you?

Think this is a great signing.