Webstarr

I think you're better off living in a modern house in terms of security and cheaper bills, modern houses are way more thermally efficient than older ones.

I agree about the whole rent issue, even up here in Hull to get somewhere half decent would cost me a quarter of my wages which when you earn fuck all anyway is not something i'm keen to commit to.

There are 2 issues with affordable housing being built at the moment, one is planning and the other is the way they are funded. To get the funding to build affordable homes councils need to build them to the code for sustainable homes which often means having a load of expensive stuff (such as photovoltaic panels) which really aren't needed on a house and aren't economically efficient anyway

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Women who paint their faces orange and bleach their hair bone white. Just what is that all about? Are there any men who genuinely find that look attractive? Mystifying.

Last edited:

bandshell

Grand High Witch
Women who paint their faces orange and bleach their hair bone white. Just what is that all about? Are there any men who actually, genuinely find that look attractive? Mystifying.

It's a bizarre look. I quite like some trashy women though.

Something that does my head in is when you really fancy a particular thing to eat but you don't know what it is. You walk around the kitchen or shop looking for it, hoping it will catch your eye and you'll realise what it is you were looking for. You never find it and you end up eating something else, begrudgingly.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
It's a bizarre look. I quite like some trashy women though.

There are good and bad ways to look trashy, though. And it's one thing to see it on loud, tipsy 19-year-olds on a night out in the West End but I see it a lot on smartly dressed women of my age or older getting on the train at Canary Wharf...then again, I also see suited blokes in their 30s with their hair spiked up with a ton of wet-look gel like Dennis the fucking Menace. :slanted:

Something that does my head in is when you really fancy a particular thing to eat but you don't know what it is. You walk around the kitchen or shop looking for it, hoping it will catch your eye and you'll realise what it is you were looking for. You never find it and you end up eating something else, begrudgingly.

Ah, the paralysis of choice! Another symptom of postmodern consumer ennui, or something. Zizek to thread...

alex

Do not read this.
Women who paint their faces orange and bleach their hair bone white. Just what is that all about? Are there any men who genuinely find that look attractive? Mystifying.

Think this is more a mis-judged ‘want of a look’ rather than the look they actually go for. The trend must have been set when (mistakenly) a popular woman spent too long on a sunbed and ordered the wrong colour of hair dye, then had to rush off to the shops before she got to do anything about it. Seeing this, all the people who looked up to the popular girl copied this style (surely there is another name for this occurrence?, the retarded way I’ve explained it isn’t very funny).

I know what you mean though, watching my favourite programme take me out the other night and thought the same, that look is nothing but utter repulsion.

hucks

Your Message Here

Well, i'd like to channel nomadologist here (where is she, btw?) and point out that women dress for the approval of other women, not the approval of men. So then the question is, why do other women think this is a good look? And I'm fucked if I know, but it has connotations of wealth in a kind of footballers' wives way, I suppose

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I think a good rule of thumb is that if you're white and young-ish, your face should not be darker than your hair.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Well, i'd like to channel nomadologist here (where is she, btw?) and point out that women dress for the approval of other women, not the approval of men. So then the question is, why do other women think this is a good look? And I'm fucked if I know, but it has connotations of wealth in a kind of footballers' wives way, I suppose

I miss nomad. Yeah there's the social wealth aspect, it's also just the fashion. And with fashion comes power, so if you look like that - the goth analogy was correct - you're totally personally invisible, no-one can possibly tell who you are, what you do, even what race you are. It's very futuristic in a way men haven't grasped yet in how they dress. Plus you get to dress up and pretend you're a slut, and men will think that but they also probably won't approach you because, and this is the doozy, looking like that is fucking terrifying. Girls who look like that really scare me, and I'm sure I'm not alone. It's 'come here/don't come anywhere near' signals, and it's confusing and really quite brilliant. Plus because you don't really look like you, you can look in the mirror and ignore how ugly you feel deep down inside. Don't any of you watch Snog, Marry, Avoid?

I saw this one woman get on the train after a boxing match at Upton Park looking just like Jordan. You couldn't tell what, where, who she was, and she owned the entire carriage, and none of the men could even look at her, but all wanted to. It was amazing, I was totally in awe.

Last edited:

BareBones

wheezy
this is the doozy, looking like that is fucking terrifying. Girls who look like that really scare me, and I'm sure I'm not alone.

a girl i'm often on the same tube carriage with in the morning looks like she's plucked her eyebrows off entirely, and in their place drawn on these crazy pencil-thin eyebrows in a shape i now know to be called sigmoid curves. they're proper cartoon-villain kind of eyebrows and she sits there with this intense scowl on her face the whole journey. she scares me.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
a girl i'm often on the same tube carriage with in the morning looks like she's plucked her eyebrows off entirely, and in their place drawn on these crazy pencil-thin eyebrows in a shape i now know to be called sigmoid curves. they're proper cartoon-villain kind of eyebrows and she sits there with this intense scowl on her face the whole journey. she scares me.

I think of the shaved-off-then-drawn-back-on look as "Polish eyebrows" - bit of a stereotype, but it does seem to be very popular among east-European women. Although your sigmoid-browed girl sounds like something else altogether...

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound

I think they're aliens, Men In Black style. I will swear down I saw a Vulcan the other day. She had a hat covering her ears BUT I KNEW.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
"US president tells Chinese counterpart that countries prosper when they respect basic human rights:
'History shows that societies are more harmonious, nations are successful and the world is more just when the rights and responsibilities of all nations and all people are upheld, including the universal rights of every human being,' he said."

More successful? Uh-huh....

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
"US president tells Chinese counterpart that countries prosper when they respect basic human rights:
'History shows that societies are more harmonious, nations are successful and the world is more just when the rights and responsibilities of all nations and all people are upheld, including the universal rights of every human being,' he said."

More successful? Uh-huh....

Which is why China's economy is in no way growing at a million miles an hour and has in no way got Uncle Sam shitting himself. :rolleyes:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Sorry, China, India, and everywhere else, you can't follow what we did here in the West, because that was a long time ago and we are now OK to live off the spoils of an industrial revolution created by misery of the many, because it was a long time ago, OK?