Leo

Apple/Mac fetishism

don't get it

in my experience, their stuff just seems to work. horrible experiences with PCs, running really slow, requiring tons of virus projection and still getting viruses, crashing, etc. and if aesthetics matter to you, they look and feel 100x better than most PCs. almost every laptop PC i investigated at a few years ago felt like cheap crap compared to a macbook pro.

imho, anyway.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Sure, but I think the problem for a lot of people (for me, anyway) is the way Apple products are marketed as a complete lifestyle package and the way some people buy into this. The 'true believers', as it were. Also a fair number of people I know who own Apple products have had trouble with the build quality, which has to be weighed up against the fact that they 'just work' in a way that Windows machines often fail to.

Leo

yeah, the fans boys who line up outside the apple store the night before a product launch are certainly annoying. what can i say, i've just had positive experiences so far, and quick help at the genius bar when needed (ok, i know, just the fact that it's called a genius bar is annoying as well). and the product design is pretty impressive.

gotta hand it to those teenagers at foxconn working 12-hour days/six days a week, they sure know how to build a product. :slanted:

slowtrain

Yeah, I find it really fucking annoying. I mean I am typing this on a macbook rihgt now, but all the 'integration' and new shit every week rweally pisses me off.

E.g, I was clicking the 'don't update' option on itunes for about a month until it just decided i had had my chance to express my opinion and updated it automatically

alex

Do not read this.
People who talk over other people all the time, not just once or twice either, all the time, to the point that when they start speaking I walk out of the room or surgically remove myself from the conversation.

People who talk with their mouths full. Repulsive.

People who pick their fingers.

People who don’t have poor oral hygiene, well not even any sort of oral hygiene (blame it on the fact you don’t like mint all you want, your breath smells of dog shit)

People who follow you, but don’t follow you on twitter

People who moan, constantly, about every single aspect of their lives and just seem to hate everything.

People who don’t like the fact that I’m not a racist.

People who moan about their job and the fact they haven’t got any money, yet procrastinate at every given opportunity

People who always want something from you, but don’t want to give anything in return.

you

yeah, the fans boys who line up outside the apple store the night before a product launch are certainly annoying. what can i say, i've just had positive experiences so far, and quick help at the genius bar when needed (ok, i know, just the fact that it's called a genius bar is annoying as well). and the product design is pretty impressive.

gotta hand it to those teenagers at foxconn working 12-hour days/six days a week, they sure know how to build a product. :slanted:

don't even get me started on apple - why oh why that with 8g ram and an intel i7 (yes, an i7) do I need to wait seconds and seconds for a word file to load up ffs

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
don't even get me started on apple - why oh why that with 8g ram and an intel i7 (yes, an i7) do I need to wait seconds and seconds for a word file to load up ffs

Because you are contaminating the inviolable purity of purpose of your beautiful, sacred Apple machine with a vulgar, pestilential M****soft application. Obviously.

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
People who don’t have poor oral hygiene, well not even any sort of oral hygiene (blame it on the fact you don’t like mint all you want, your breath smells of dog shit)

There was a fellow at my old college who supervised a third-year project I did - he smoked heavily and drank coffee all day, clearly didn't brush his teeth enough and was wholly innocent to concept of gum or mints and his breath was like Death, destroyer of worlds. Which was a shame, as he was a nice guy and I liked him in other respects, but had to try to keep conversation with him to a minimum because of this.

Leo

i believe that's known as a "first-world problem". :)

4linehaiku

Repetitive

Probably because loading a word document is an entirely IO bound operation so all the RAM and CPU cores in the world aren't going to do shit. Get an SSD and it'll be instantaneous.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Probably because loading a word document is an entirely IO bound operation so all the RAM and CPU cores in the world aren't going to do shit. Get an SSD and it'll be instantaneous.

But loading a Word doc from C: is virtually instantaneous on the Windows machine I'm using, which I think has a perfectly ordinary HDD - the question is, why should it be that much slower on a Mac? Specially now you can get Macified versions of all the Office apps...

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
There is, of course, a third option...

pcmaclinux.jpg

4linehaiku

Repetitive
Dunno then, haven't opened a word document in years. If you open it in some other program (textedit / pages / etc) It has to convert to a readable file type so that takes some time. Or maybe it is a secret apple conspiracy after all. Who knows?

Linux is wonderful in many many ways, but being the day to day OS you use on your laptop isn't really one of them.

zhao

there are no accidents
is it me or do Berliners think parties SHOULD be difficult to find? like this Saal9 place i'm supposed to play at tonight, not on their website, not on the Facebook or Event page, no where on the entire internet is a straight forward street address. i think it's real, this attitude that people should walk around in confusion for at least 15 minutes before seeing the entrance. and if you are carrying a bunch of gear in the bitter cold, even better.

Leo

when i saw it on the "iowa primary" thread, i first thought it was a clever comment on mitt romney's GOP battle.