IdleRich

IdleRich
"These all sound very much like Toronto attitudes as well. The rest of Canada hates Torontonians for being uptight and unfriendly. The stereotype is mostly true though: if you go anywhere else in Canada people talk to you without shame whereas here if you approach anyone they will immediately try to determine if you

a) want money
b) want a cigarette
c) are offering drugs
d) are mentally ill"
That's odd, Toronto is the place where I've been the recipient of the most "Say, you guys are English - are you having a good trip? - where do you want to get to?" friendliness of anywhere I've visited.

scottdisco

rip this joint please
whilst we're discussing Toronto, i would just like to tell the board i fancy a woman that works on the information desk at the Eaton Centre.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Christ, a year or two ago I was on the tube in London and some 18-y-o girl I was sat next to decided that an atom belonging to my shoulder had brushed an atom belonging to her shoulder as the train jerked away from the platform and then launched into this massive tirade at me for invading her precious fucking personal space. I just put my headphones on. It was quite sad, I mean on one level she was simply being a Massive Bitch but it was clear she had issues, and then some. Depressing, really.

Last edited:

nomadthethird

more issues than Time mag
Christ, a year or two ago I was on the tube in London and some 18-y-o girl I was sat next to decided that an atom belonging to my shoulder had brushed an atom belonging to her shoulder as the train jerked away from the platform and then launched into this massive tirade at me for invading her precious fucking personal space. I just put my headphones on. It was quite sad, I mean on one level she was simply being a Massive Bitch but it was clear she had issues, and then some. Depressing, really.

She's probably just wary and been assaulted on the tube a lot. There are a lot of pervs on underground trains, for some reason, especially public masturbators. I suppose it's because they have a captive audience. I seriously avoid taking trains in the summer, because for some reason, summer makes them braver or hornier.

And it's not just once that it's happened to me that a guy sits next to you, you're reading or listening to music or whatever, and then they slide next to you a little more, and then they lean on you a little more, and you continue ignoring them, until they finally start to touch you and by then you have to get up and leave because no one else pays any attention or tells them to stop.

(18yo girls probably catch the worst of it, too.)

nomadthethird

That's odd, Toronto is the place where I've been the recipient of the most "Say, you guys are English - are you having a good trip? - where do you want to get to?" friendliness of anywhere I've visited.

There are random nice people everywhere, and if you speak English, they're probably happy to help. But I would say the majority of native NYers are not nice and would step over your dead or dying body to get into Dunkin Donuts without flinching.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
But I would say the majority of native NYers are not nice and would step over your dead or dying body to get into Dunkin Donuts without flinching.

I dunno I've always had pretty good experiences w/people in NY. I've always thought New Yorkers = rude & contemptuous of non-NYers stereotype was way overhyped.

I can't think of any time I've felt wary in an American city (parts of Mexico City tho, yes). I'm always talking to random ppl on the street or the L or wherever. all this business about pretending people don't exist is mad. screw all that fear & alienation business. tho I'm a dude so it's a different ballgame I guess.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
She's probably just wary and been assaulted on the tube a lot. There are a lot of pervs on underground trains, for some reason, especially public masturbators. I suppose it's because they have a captive audience. I seriously avoid taking trains in the summer, because for some reason, summer makes them braver or hornier.

And it's not just once that it's happened to me that a guy sits next to you, you're reading or listening to music or whatever, and then they slide next to you a little more, and then they lean on you a little more, and you continue ignoring them, until they finally start to touch you and by then you have to get up and leave because no one else pays any attention or tells them to stop.

(18yo girls probably catch the worst of it, too.)

Seriously, I had done NOTHING to warrant any kind of suspicion like that. I'd even left my favourite I AM A MASSIVE PERVERT tee-shirt at home that day. I got the impression she'd probably have reacted the same way if I'd been a white-haired old lady...plus being 'wary' is one thing, giving someone a load of florid abuse for no reason is another. Just some poor girl on a major, major paranoid trip, I think.

Although now that you mention gropey weirdos, I remember this time some guy reached over to grab my cock while I was waiting for a bus. Maybe I was inadvertently giving off the secret signal used in the stranger's-cock-grabbing community...

Last edited:

IdleRich

IdleRich
"She's probably just wary and been assaulted on the tube a lot. There are a lot of pervs on underground trains, for some reason, especially public masturbators. I suppose it's because they have a captive audience. I seriously avoid taking trains in the summer, because for some reason, summer makes them braver or hornier."
My ex was on the tube once in a big crush and she could feel this pressure and she gradually realised that it wasn't just natural bodies being pushed together but that a hand had kinda snaked round from somewhere and grabbed her arse.

"There are random nice people everywhere, and if you speak English, they're probably happy to help. But I would say the majority of native NYers are not nice and would step over your dead or dying body to get into Dunkin Donuts without flinching."
New York seemed pretty normal to me but Toronto was unusual in that people were going out of their way to come and be helpful even though I hadn't asked for any help.

Although now that you mention gropey weirdos, I remember this time some guy reached over to grab my cock while I was waiting for a bus.
I thought I told you not to mention that.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
She's probably just wary and been assaulted on the tube a lot.

mentally common in Japan:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frotteurism#Groping_in_Japan

http://www.japanfortheuninvited.com/articles/train-groping.html

Some men quite like to read sexually violent mangas on the subway too

but then it is quite busy:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Lichen

looks like someone shutting a suitcase before a long holiday.

Also
I get wound up
by people with
esoteric approaches to
typesetting their emails and
Lichen

[like Polystyle Desu!]

nomadthethird

I dunno I've always had pretty good experiences w/people in NY. I've always thought New Yorkers = rude & contemptuous of non-NYers stereotype was way overhyped.

I can't think of any time I've felt wary in an American city (parts of Mexico City tho, yes). I'm always talking to random ppl on the street or the L or wherever. all this business about pretending people don't exist is mad. screw all that fear & alienation business. tho I'm a dude so it's a different ballgame I guess.

Mexico City is on another level of crazy. But yeah, but Manhattan is the Disney Land of NYC. It's not really what people are talking about when they talk about NY horror stories. I mean, of course, nobody's going to get into much shit in Manhattan at the tourist spots. Nobody gets mugged in Manhattan either. But take a ride to the Bronx sometime and report back...

Although anywhere is bad for the public masturbators.

Tea, it doesn't matter if you meant to do anything to her. Some people have post-traumatic stress disorder, and they're going to react that way whether you're the biggest bundle of sunshine in the world or Satan himself.

polystyle

looks like someone shutting a suitcase before a long holiday.

Also
I get wound up
by people with
esoteric approaches to
typesetting their emails and
Lichen

[like Polystyle Desu!]

Well hey we don't wanna 'do anyone's head in' through 'typesetting' now do we ?
Hope you can 'wind down' after reading such posts Lichen
:)

Lichen

Well hey we don't wanna 'do anyone's head in' through 'typesetting' now do we ?
Hope you can 'wind down' after reading such posts Lichen

LOL

a

lot.

zhao

there are no accidents
I love the way PD formats his posts

me too, especially the lists in Futures thread.

i've thought about adopting this format myself for some occasions.

both more fluid like thoughts as well as more economical, efficient, direct and to the point.