zhao

there are no accidents
People who say "I'm going toilet" or "I'm going to see [inanimate propper noun]"

Really really drives me round the bend.

nah, faux FOB or intentionally wrong english is the best. and instead of letting it "drive you around the bend" (that doesn't sound so bad either? which bend? just a wee drive?), you should learn to appreciate it's silly charms. i was very tempted to put "make party" next to "graphic design" on my business card.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
nah, faux FOB or intentionally wrong english is the best. and instead of letting it "drive you around the bend" (that doesn't sound so bad either? which bend? just a wee drive?), you should learn to appreciate it's silly charms. i was very tempted to put "make party" next to "graphic design" on my business card.

Try asking your gf if she wants to "make sex" or "do love" and get back to us with her reaction. :)

Dr Awesome

Techsteppin'

The difference is that it's done in ignorance, not wit nor jest. I have no problem breaking, stretching and abusing the English language but I have a decent command of it to begin with.

grizzleb

Unless they mean something like, changing their lifestyle to something lavatory based - "I'm going toilet"

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
Try asking your gf if she wants to "make sex" or "do love" and get back to us with her reaction. :)

OMG she is the absolute queen of this (her english is not very good so it's not intentional). but even someone as grammatically stringent as Dr. Awesome would have a hard time getting annoyed because it's sooooo adorable... like for instance she says "feets". no really she does. like "my feets are cold". :D

nomadthethird

more issues than Time mag
OMG she is the absolute queen of this (her english is not very good so it's not intentional). but even someone as grammatically stringent as Dr. Awesome would have a hard time getting annoyed because it's sooooo adorable... like for instance she says "feets". no really she does. like "my feets are cold". :D

I like how in German, they say "Haare" which is hair, plural. So they say, "I like your hairs"...Ich mag deine Haare...

zhao

there are no accidents
and in German apparently "do" and "make" are the same. so that switch is actually VERY common in this house. "make the dishes", etc.

and she confuses the past tense of read with wrote a lot. so she'll be like oh i wrote this interesting article today...

nomadthethird

more issues than Time mag
and in German apparently "do" and "make" are the same. so that switch is actually VERY common in this house. "make the dishes", etc.

and she confuses the past tense of read with wrote a lot. so she'll be like oh i wrote this interesting article today...

Spass machen...probably the best idiom in German that relies on "make"...

Leo

hey zhao, just curious: do you need to know german in order to live in berlin, or can you get by ok on english? do you speak german? i've heard of so many artists who moved there at one time or another, can't imagine all of them speak/spoke the language.

zhao

there are no accidents
hey zhao, just curious: do you need to know german in order to live in berlin, or can you get by ok on english? do you speak german? i've heard of so many artists who moved there at one time or another, can't imagine all of them speak/spoke the language.

i speak excellent German. (for a 3 year old)

no you can get by almost perfectly fine with only english.

Last edited:

Dr Awesome

Techsteppin'

I once went out with an adorable French girl, who used to say "le" and "la" in pidgin English sex phrases.
To counteract this I consulted all the French speakers I knew and developed:
"est-ce que je peux embrasser votre antilope?"
Which would make her laugh something chronic.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Does it make me a terrible, terrible person that the thing I usually find most depressing about news stories on dead teenagers is the inevitably abysmal spelling and grammar in the selection of Facebook tributes the papers love to include? :slanted:

paolo

Mechanical phantoms
Nah, most teenagers deserve everything they get.

Incidentally, has anyone noticed how dead teenage girls and young women are always described as 'bubbly'?

grizzleb

U WAZ A BEST FREND GURL U WILL B MISSED 4 EVA XX

Can't even take the time to fucking spell properly...sigh. Surely it's a mark of disrespect?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
The Baby P tributes were the source of a distasteful but amusing meme on another messageboard I used to use.

"u r wiv da angel's now xXxXxXx"

Edit: a quick google suggests "angles" instead of "angels". Good grief.

Last edited:

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Nah, most teenagers deserve everything they get.

Incidentally, has anyone noticed how dead teenage girls and young women are always described as 'bubbly'?
Kind of related to the idea that we should send more rubbish cowardly unpopular soldiers out to afghanistan, since it's always the good ones that seem to get killed...

grizzleb

I'd love to see a brutally honest report on the death of a soldier. "he was smelly and he didn't like to help others"