slowtrain

In the appartment block in Geneva where I lived a few years ago the lift was installed by a company called Schindler. With hilarious effect.

All the lifts and elevators in NZ are by Schindler, but no one I've pointed it out to has ever found it funny....

unknown soulja

Wild Horses
I suppose if the time is short enough that a "Hi how are you?" will suffice until the doors open up then it's not so bad. But if you're somewhere between that and the 45+ seconds that allows a conversation about the weather I can see some extremely awkward conversations occuring amongst the sedatephobic.

As we all well know though, if all else fails you can always stare anxiously at the floor numbers escalating.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

paolo

Mechanical phantoms
One of the skills I've picked up from my job is how to have weather-related lift conversations with people I don't really know very well at all

I hear books have a lovely analogue warmth and nice harmonics, as opposed to the crisp digital sharpness of kindles, which is especially prevalent when read over a big system.

BLAMMO

alex

Do not read this.
When girls say ‘drinks’ instead of ‘a drink’, not that it’s incorrect or anything, just sounds so fucking pretentious and dickheadish

e.g. ‘it’s emma’s leaving drinks’

number deleted.

Dr Awesome

Techsteppin'
When girls say ‘drinks’ instead of ‘a drink’, not that it’s incorrect or anything, just sounds so fucking pretentious and dickheadish

e.g. ‘it’s emma’s leaving drinks’

number deleted.

Would you really want to go to Emma's (social gathering, name it what you want) if there was only going to be one drink?

alex

Do not read this.
The person in question is actually going on a gap year in Oz apparently, so I actually text the girl back ‘well what’s the point, she’s going to be back in a year, good riddance’

It might be a male/female thing, because going for a ‘drink’ always sounds normal to me, even though technically it’s wrong, as you correctly stated, you’ll probably end up drinking more than one drink. But I just associate the term ‘leaving drinks’ with Canary Wharfite’s all meeting in a wine bar to all back-slap eachother and be as unfunny as possible all night, sniffing coke and chatting shit.

Mind you it might just be because I’m generally a cunt.

Oh I have not forgot about that Dubstep pack by the way Dr Awesome, it’s coming (sorry for the longness, I’m a right cunt when it comes to things like that)

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I'd be more concerned about how complete other attendee's Meningococcal vaccinations were.

I was thinking a big drink each. Like a bottle of good whisky, say. Enough to help you ignore whatever inane whitterings this Emma is invariably going to be spouting.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
I was thinking a big drink each. Like a bottle of good whisky, say. Enough to help you ignore whatever inane whitterings this Emma is invariably going to be spouting.

I've heard if you tolerate Emma's whitterings and don't get too pissed and you will be greatly rewarded. She is, after all, leaving the country.

That being said I can't vouch for this personally - I find Emma totally fucking intolerable.

grizzleb

The boring and thankless task of organising my mp3s. 60 gig or summat and it's all been located in about a million different folders hidden away around my pc. Finally decided to sort it out but it's a balkworthy task. Not sure having them all in the one big folder is such a good idea anyway. Choosing a track from a list of a million... :confused: Might try to organise them by genre or something.

STN

sou'wester
People who enthusiastically and lengthily investigate office toilet crimes. If it was me, I wouldn't tell you, and if it wasn't me, I can't tell you, being as I don't watch my colleagues on the bog (well, not very often anyway).

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
People who enthusiastically and lengthily investigate office toilet crimes. If it was me, I wouldn't tell you, and if it wasn't me, I can't tell you, being as I don't watch my colleagues on the bog (well, not very often anyway).

Oh dear god - has someone sent round an email? Or was it a written sign? One-on-one interrogation? :confused:

john eden

male pale and stale
Co-workers who disagree with you in a reply to an email and cc: in all your bosses, and their bosses.

Does that happen to anyone else?

STN

sou'wester
He's conducting interviews. No direct accusations, but a detailed and ominous explanation of events.

This is not the first time this has happened.

Solution to John's problem: never reply to all, so they have to keep adding the names to the cc and look like a petty-minded dickfool!

john eden

male pale and stale
I am afraid to ask what sort of "toilet crimes"* we are talking about here.

Yeah, the not replying to all thing is OK but these emails are usually quite accusatory, so you want to get your defence in as well...

I have mastered the art of replying to 8 paragraph accusatory emails in one or two firm but friendly lines though.

Had a hilarious one recently where the disagreement was based on the other person's misunderstanding. You could see the cc: list and the blustering tone get reduced with each exchange as they realised how foolish they looked.

I imagine anyone with any sense will see what the crack is, but it doesn't exactly help my day go smoothly.

*Toilet Crimes would be a good name for something, possibly a power electronics album.

john eden

male pale and stale
Also, how does that work when you get home?

How was your day dear?

OK, I mainly spent it interviewing colleagues about their toilet habits.