The Cramps

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
thanks for the tip, I can feel myself slowly getting sucked into all this stuff and it's a nice feeling... :D

There's a very primal thing with the bass and drums, which marries well into dub / some hiphop/grime/dubstep, it's all in the plate reverb! Charlie Feathers is good too, and all the Sun stuff for a similar space you get within the sound.

http://www.myspace.com/charliefeathersrockabilly - you'll recognise Cant Hardly Stand It.

Benny Bunter

There's a very primal thing with the bass and drums, which marries well into dub / some hiphop/grime/dubstep.
QUOTE]

:slanted: Er, not sure about this, can't really see the connection myself. The bass isn't very prominant in most rockabilly/garage rock stuff. And all the best Cramps stuff didn't have a bass at all!

Fans of the Cramps should definitely check out Hasil Adkins: Absolutely mental one man band from the 50s who sang loads of crazy songs about chickens and cutting women's heads off. Some of it has to be heard to be believed. The Cramps covered his song She Said.

Another recommendation would be the the Johnny Burnette trio's first album. Proper full on Rockabilly business that one.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"the born bad stuff seems to be out of print and mainly vinyl, hence expensive"
I've got some of these lying around - you can borrow if you like.

"http://www.myspace.com/charliefeathersrockabilly - you'll recognise Cant Hardly Stand It."
Yeah, that's a wicked tune.

" Er, not sure about this, can't really see the connection myself. The bass isn't very prominant in most rockabilly/garage rock stuff. And all the best Cramps stuff didn't have a bass at all!"
I'd agree with that although I think that rockabilly does have a similar swing feel to garage (UK not sixties US). Also, the nagging "riffs" of electro sometimes remind me of the riffs in rockabilly in a weird kind of way but that's probably just me.

"Fans of the Cramps should definitely check out Hasil Adkins: Absolutely mental one man band from the 50s who sang loads of crazy songs about chickens and cutting women's heads off. Some of it has to be heard to be believed. The Cramps covered his song She Said."
Hasil Adkins is the bollocks - died last year (or was it the year before?) sadly. The story with him was that he heard a track on the radio and because it was announced as being by one guy - the star - he assumed that meant that that guy did everything and so he taught himself to play everything at the same time.

"Another recommendation would be the the Johnny Burnette trio's first album. Proper full on Rockabilly business that one."
He did the original of Train Kept a Rollin' right? Classic standard with millions of great versions.

Benny Bunter

Aye' 'train kept a rollin' is on that first album. Its a total classic, they manage to out-Elvis Elvis on that one. Rockabilly is all about being wild and untethered for me, I don't think I could ever see a connection with garage, dubstep etc. Thats one of the more bizarre views I've read on this forum recently tbh!

I hadn't realised Hasil Adkins had died recently, thats sad. A lot of performers get called unique, but he really warrants that description.

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Did I ever tell you about going to see them? This was waaaaaaay back in the mid 80s.

Had very low expectations - even though I liked the music, they weren't quite at the level of Cabaret Voltaire / 23 skidoo / electro / On U I was into at the time.

But they were a) absolutely mentally good and b) clearly out of their minds on drugs.

None of the other bands mentioned in this thread can compare. The cramps were genius.

Things like Drug Train and especially Tear It Up were mindblowingly heavy live.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Lol it's just me then? S'ok, at least I finally know why I'm weird now. Oh that's made me laugh.

I heard the B-side to the Polecats 'Rockabilly Guy' (Rockabilly Dub) at an age before I'd ever really heard dub before, so maybe that's it. Brain damage is more likely though. Wicked, wicked tune if anyone can find it.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Yeah, just heard this. Weird, I mean I guess he was older than you think but still too young to die in my book. What happened?
2008 was a terrible year for people dying and 2009 has started off in the same vein.

jenks

thread death
Just seen this - The Cramps at the Palais in 84 is seminal memory for me. Lux in full throw, Ivy doing her best bored hooker look.

He seemed so vital, even recently in interviews!

so it goes...

D84

this track is the best

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

IdleRich

IdleRich
Yeah it's great (although it's a total rip off of, or let's say homage to, Boss by The Rumblers) "You're no punk you punk" is a fantastic line.