The Record Industry's Decline

Octopus?

i didn't meant they got paid for pressing records - they get paid a bonus on projected sales. So if you press up another 100,000 units then that's another projected 100,000 sales for them to claim a bonus from. And if it's the label heads etc doing it, they weren't really accountable to anyone... not at EMI they weren't anyway. They certainly didn't need sign-off from lawyers and accountants for shit.

This stuff goes on all the time in the industry, it's certainly not limited to EMI. For this reason, and many others, the industry only has itself to blame. It's just too bad that the behemoths have a tendency to drag down smaller fish as well.

Martin Dust

Techno Zen Master
i didn't meant they got paid for pressing records - they get paid a bonus on projected sales. So if you press up another 100,000 units then that's another projected 100,000 sales for them to claim a bonus from. And if it's the label heads etc doing it, they weren't really accountable to anyone... not at EMI they weren't anyway. They certainly didn't need sign-off from lawyers and accountants for shit.]

Are you sure that they get paid out on projections?

You state they need no sign off but how do they answer to the market, artists accountants and lawyers?

In short, the logic of the system you are suggesting makes no business sense at all, I can't believe that it's actually true.

Octopus?

Are you sure that they get paid out on projections?

You state they need no sign off but how do they answer to the market, artists accountants and lawyers?

In short, the logic of the system you are suggesting makes no business sense at all, I can't believe that it's actually true.

I used to work in a lower tier in the 'industry' and this is just the tip of the iceberg for ridiculous stuff that happens every single day. It's a huge house of cards that has been allowed to coast along incompetently for years. In many cases, projections are considered gold standard in terms of bragging rights. It's exactly the same with video and hugely depressing on every possible level.

Nobody answers to the artists, the lawyers are in place to ensure everything moves along smoothly and unquestioned and accounting is so screwed already up that none of this matters in the first place.

Alfons

Way of the future
that's been the case for a while now...

I think it's been a part of the reason behind vinyl releases for the last 2-3 years, but I also think that peope still think that "real" labels release on vinyl not just mp3 (even if those people just buy/steal mp3s), that will change in the next few years I think.

Martin Dust

Techno Zen Master
I used to work in a lower tier in the 'industry' and this is just the tip of the iceberg for ridiculous stuff that happens every single day. It's a huge house of cards that has been allowed to coast along incompetently for years. In many cases, projections are considered gold standard in terms of bragging rights. It's exactly the same with video and hugely depressing on every possible level.

Nobody answers to the artists, the lawyers are in place to ensure everything moves along smoothly and unquestioned and accounting is so screwed already up that none of this matters in the first place.

I don't doubt that it's a complete house of cards, anyone who spends 700K a year on cabs really does need a good kicking but I don't believe people got paid on projections nor that "no-one" is answerable, shit like this sticks out like sore thumb but anyway...

dave

the day today tonight
I also think that peope still think that "real" labels release on vinyl not just mp3 (even if those people just buy/steal mp3s), that will change in the next few years I think.
for sure.

i think that view of whether a label is "real" or not is partly because there is a financial risk in putting out a vinyl release, and mp3 only releases don't carry that risk. it's much easier to fake the funk if that funk is free.

how many labels have stopped releasing vinyl and gone mp3 only?

mms

sometimes
for sure.

i think that view of whether a label is "real" or not is partly because there is a financial risk in putting out a vinyl release, and mp3 only releases don't carry that risk. it's much easier to fake the funk if that funk is free.

not many, it's probably easier to keep the vinyl pressing low and do mp3 as well.
there is a financial risk in releasing anything in any format, if time effort and money go into it.

i think people who like vinyl like vinyl and will buy it, i love it, love playing about with it, i don't ever want to start djing with mp3s, they don't do anything for me.

I'm still not sure about neuton's claims, i think there is a bit of bias as they have dropped off, but i'm sure good releases still sell on vinyl and vinyl is collectable, if it's presented right.

tox

Factory Girl
Interesting show on Radio 4 about EMI this morning, featuring a fairly extended interview with Guy Hands.

The upshot seemed to be that, as has been said in this thread, EMI was a terribly inefficient company, ill-prepared for the tougher times and changes facing the music industry. The presenter was fairly supportive of the measures made by Terra Firma to cut excesses post takeover. Various guests, mostly media consultants and managers, were much more sceptical. To me, it seemed that those who have been inside the industry for a while (the consultants who had been working in music for X years, plus the managers and artists) are yet to wake up to the realities.

Guy Hands was emphasizing the profitability of the publishing arm. It seems to me, that for big labels the focus will increasingly lie in publishing, merchandise and events. You only have to look at the number of dates Britney's playing at the O2 or the massive contracts being signed with Live Nation to see that big money is still out there in music, just that the source is different. Some of this would seem to present a better deal for the artists even...

Where all this leaves smaller labels I'm not so sure.

Anyway, its on listen again here.

hint

party record with a siren
EDIT... on reflection, best not to get involved unless it's confirmed

:confused:

Last edited:

claphands

Poorly-known member
for sure.

free net label for digital cumbia: http://cabeza-netlabel.blogspot.com/

I like the way that soulseek/blog sharing can make collections of songs into "albums" that are just as real as any legit but obscure collection of mp3s riped from cd/vinyl/cassettes. It's like how when someone makes a top x of x list and it includes a rip of a radio set or a mix made by a blogger somewhere. the fact that this evolved into net labels, where "albums" only exist in how you market them isn't surprising.

DannyL

Wild Horses
Has anyone got any links to an article or site that sums up the current position? Trying to get a snapshot picture of the industry as a whole, curren profits and trends...

Thanks in advance.

polystyle

YouSendIt releases ...

Was hearing about people releasing to a few hundred friends via YouSendIt this past weekend.
Obviously, there are other services to do this through as well.
Thought it good solution for some ...