Movado

Blackdown

nexKeysound
Bought this from the link above. One thing that really strikes me is how blatant the gun imagery is on the packaging. I dont recall this from most mainstream US rap LPs, is this standard for dancehall LPs?

john eden

male pale and stale
I don't think it's typical, no. If you look at most of Greensleeves releases you won't see many guns in the artwork.

Off the top of my head all I can think of a couple of Cutty Ranks LPs and possibly some stuff from the 70s which was more wild west than anything gangsta.

zhao

there are no accidents
wasn't that impressed first time around. very nice voice, but every song on that album has the same style, same dynamic, same kind of sentimental epic sound...

fully realizing that this will be easily misinterpreted but the *emotional feeling* i get from him is almost like jeezy.

i'll give it another go sometime soon...

Noah Baby Food

Emotional and epic is right...every song has that kinda filmic, Hollywood sentimentality vibe. Album is pretty good but needs more variety. The constant gangsta-Old Testament skits are annoying though. He does have a good voice, but there's a bit of that autotune tweaking that's currently popular going on there - not as heavy as with T-Pain or summat, but it's there.

A bit of lightness to temper the earnest, righteous gangsta stuff woulf be good. Maybe he should do a duet with Red Rat?

continuum

smugpolice
Just got into listening to Movado. Gonna get my sister and her b/f a cd of him for Xmas.

Personal favourite is 'Girl I Want You' which doesn't seem to be on the that cd from Dub Vendor - can anyone point me in the direction of where I can buy this track either as a single or as part of an album/compilation?

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
this is my fave ( not gangster for life as labelled )

ghetto whiskey. I know it's old but I just heard it, fuckin wicked riddim.

zhao

there are no accidents
ghetto whiskey. I know it's old but I just heard it, fuckin wicked riddim.

there are so many of those milliatary marching band type symphonic "going to war" riddims since what, couple years ago? seems had something to do with southern hiphop maybe... that the really good ones are pretty rare. this is one of them.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
been listening to the LP a lot, but it's totally ruined by the pathetic skits ("being a gangster..."). plus he starts each of the tracks the same way ("anyway" or "gangster for life"). would have been a killer EP...

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
there are so many of those milliatary marching band type symphonic "going to war" riddims since what, couple years ago? seems had something to do with southern hiphop maybe... that the really good ones are pretty rare. this is one of them.

I think they've been listening to alot of grime!, there's alot of Mr Slash type beats which are similar. Gang War riddim is another killer, any more recommendation would be welcomed.

this guy

can't actually sing

he's ok - can see why he's liked...but if he gets on too many tracks...it'll start to wear thin and show

Blackdown

nexKeysound
the fact that he sings is amazing, especially in contrast to the subject matter ("marrow will fly..."). i just wish he's broaden his themes and trademarks.

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
I enjoy that fact he has a very niche and narrow subject matter. I wouldn't want to hear him sing about the same stuff that Sizzla, Beanie and every other Deejay turned vocalist as tried to broaden themselves to accommodate.

There's nothing wrong with letting him do what he does best, which is talk about gangster shit. If you want righteousness listen to some Anthony B.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
yeah you're right, i just wish he didn't use so many of his stock phrases ("anyway" "gangster for life") so many times.